adapter for US travel to Hong Kong

Old Jul 1st, 2011, 04:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
adapter for US travel to Hong Kong

Silly question but am traveling with iPhone and iPad and have heard that need to be careful when using adapters for plugging in for charging. What would I need to purchase here to take with me?

Thanks!
Old Jul 1st, 2011, 05:05 PM

Your i phone and ipad charger have built in converters. All you need is the plug adapter, and your hotel will have one you can borrow. You can buy a whole set for international travel, but we never take ours along anymore, as hotels always have ones we can borrow.
Old Jul 1st, 2011, 05:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unlike Kathie I take country-specific or universal adapter(s) with me, depending on the trip. I'm not convinced all the hotels I stay at would have adapters, and in any case, other people might have borrowed them. Of course, worst case you can buy one in-country.
Old Jul 1st, 2011, 05:24 PM

Some newer hotels have sockets that USA plugs fit into just fine. No adapter needed.

I always do travel with adapters since I have more than one thing to plug in. Phone, computer, camera battery... best to have several with me.

I also like to take one of those USA grounded 3-prong plugs with three plug-in slots on it. All you need is one adapter (if necessary) and you can turn one outlet into 3 places to charge things. These 3-slot plug ins don't take up much space at all in your suitcase.
Old Jul 1st, 2011, 06:07 PM
Original Poster

great, thanks for the info, since we have a lot to plug in, not just phone and ipad, we may take some with us
Old Jul 1st, 2011, 06:57 PM

Some information here http://users.telenet.be/worldstandards/electricity.htm

and, you could also purchase something like this..

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/4PCS-AU-U...item20ba78b70d

or this. The USA parallel plug will operate in these:
http://cgi.ebay.com/2x-AC-Power-Plug...item25652b3d53

I normally travel with a few different adapters. Cannot comment for Hong Kong, but, in mainland China, they have some very good adapters that take everything.
Old Jul 1st, 2011, 08:22 PM

Hong Kong uses the UK plug. Buy a UK-type adapter and forget about having to look for one after you get to Hong Kong. I always take my own, and in fact a few, because I need at least one for my computer and one for charging my camera(s), GPS, etc. To me, it's not "nice" to ask for more than one adapters at hotels. And most recently, I actually take a small US-extension cord with 4 US plugs, so I only need one adapter and can plug in 4 things at once.

Radioshack has a UK-only one for $7.99.
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=3193240

Or a set with other plugs for $14.99
ttp://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3932595

If you find that too expensive or your hotel in HK doesn't have any (or run out), go to small appliance stores (not the big chains) or home chain stores like "Japan Home Center", "Pricerite", or "Jusco $10 Plaza" to get one. It will cost under US$1.5 in HK.

The plug-adapters sold in HK are supposed to have a fuse in it, but you don't need that for charging small appliance. Those plugs you get for cheap in HK will be labelled "For Export Only".
Old Jul 1st, 2011, 09:07 PM

Great idea taking an extension cord with your native plugs! Thanks rkkwan.
Old Jul 4th, 2011, 03:59 PM
Original Poster

I Like the extension cord idea. I went and purchased two adapters anyway, $8 each so not too bad.
Thanks,