Search

Accomodation: Naoshima and Kiso Valley

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5th, 2020, 03:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Accomodation: Naoshima and Kiso Valley

Hi,

I'm new to this forum and have really enjoyed looking through many of the threads. It's much appreciated how people are helpful and full of great suggestions.

I wondered if anybody has stayed in Naoshima and in the Kiso Valley (maybe Magome?) and could recommend accommodation. Our budget is up to around $130 per night max. We don't mind guest houses, but would prefer a private to a shared bathroom.

We'll be traveling in July (all being well, who knows with this crazy virus going on) and are planning two nights in each location so air conditioning is a must.

Thanks in advance!
Old Mar 5th, 2020, 12:11 PM
tt7

When we visited Naoshima (and Teshima) we stayed in Uno at the Uno Port Inn. Small, low key place round the corner from the JR Uno station and directly across from the ferry terminal to Naoshima and Teshima. It has a mix of western rooms with their own in-room bathroom or Japanese rooms with their own bathroom but down the hall. It has a small cafe/bar and there are various restaurants within walking distance. Run by a bunch of young, enthusiastic staff. We stayed three nights - flew in to Tokyo on day one and just went to Uno, visited Naoshima on day two and Teshima on day three. It worked for us and should fit your budget (though it helps to quote prices in ¥, not some <unknown> $). We’ve long since given up the desire to pay for fancy hotel rooms - room was typically Japanese-small but perfectly comfortable and we’d stay there again. Of course there’s always Benesse House on Naoshima but that might blow your budget .... 😊

We’ve done the Magome - Tsumago walk but did it as a day trip from Nagoya. If you do go to Nagoya, don’t miss the Tokugawa Art Museum and its adjacent gardens.
Old Mar 5th, 2020, 01:25 PM
Original Poster

tt7, thanks for your suggestion. If only Benesse House was on our budget (13-14K ¥) . Who knows, we might splurge out for a couple of nights on the trip, but I don't know where yet. A friend of mine really didn't like Uno Port, that's why I thought about staying on the island itself. Staying in Uno Port and squeezing in both islands is an interesting idea though that I hadn't considered. I'll definitely look into it.

Was the walk an easy day trip from Nagoya? I'm aware of not trying not to make every day a travel day, but instead some days just being able to wake up and stay in a location! It's weird, I find that one of the hardest things about planning Japan trips, squeezing different things in without it becoming too much, but at the same time making the most of it. It seems easier in other countries.
Old Mar 6th, 2020, 12:58 PM
tt7

Originally Posted by Burlo77
A friend of mine really didn't like Uno Port, that's why I thought about staying on the island itself.
Uno is fairly small so there’s not much to ‘like’ (or not like) about it. It’s not somewhere you would go for its own sake - rather, it’s simply the jumping off point for the islands. What was it about Uno that your friend didn’t like?
Old Mar 6th, 2020, 01:06 PM
tt7

Originally Posted by Burlo77
Was the walk an easy day trip from Nagoya?
Yes. Take the train to Nakatsugawa (about 50 - 90 minutes, depending on which one you take, the Limited Express (Wide View) Shinano being the quickest) and then the bus (20 minutes) from outside the station to Magome. Once you get to the other end of the walk in Tsumago, take the bus to Nagiso (7 minutes) or you can just walk (or take a taxi, if you must). Train back from Nagiso may require you to change (probably at Nakatsugawa) but it’s an easy enough day out.