Aberdeen sampans

Old Aug 9th, 2006, 04:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aberdeen sampans

While visiting Aberdeen on tour..is it worthwhile to ride on a sampan or Junk? My tour lists it as an option
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 05:49 PM

It's interesting but less so than in previous years. Many of the "boat people" have moved to the surrounding high rise buildings, but there are still some folks still on the water. If you are a photographer there are good photo ops. It's easy to get a sampan on your own. You'll be solicited as soon as you hit the harbor.
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 08:23 PM

being out on the water in HK is fun....but if all the boat people have moved it might not be so interesting...how much does it cost??

you can do it on your own as well
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 08:25 PM

Hi dorish,
I think it is worth it, because there are countless amazing photo ops during the ride. You can try bargaining with the boat people directly (there are usually many of them standing there to recruit customers). The price is not expensive so I really think it's worth it!!!
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 08:49 PM

I think it is fun still, the harbour is still interesting as it is jammed with boats and is surrounded by pointy hills and tall apartment blocks. If you don't have to pay for it, or it is a small extra charge, even more reason to do it.

I did this about 3 months ago when some friends were in town. You should bargain, but in general, for 2 people prices are about HK$100 (US$12-15) for about a half hour, a bit more if there are more people in your group. You do not need more than 30-45 minutes on the boat, IMO. Cash only.

I would also not recommend that you eat at the Chinese restaurant at Jumbo which is fairly average food, touristy and expensive for what it is. However, I would recco the Asian fusion restaurant on TOP of the Jumbo which has a nice outdoor area as well with fine views and has good food as well. It is called, appropriately, Top Deck at the Jumbo. Take a look at http://www.cafedecogroup.com/TOP_DECK/v_TOP_DECK.asp.

Top Deck at the Jumbo
Jumbo Kingdom
Shum Wan Pier Drive
Wong Chuk Hang
Aberdeen
Tel: 852 2552 3331

You could also just go from Aberdeen over to Stanley and have a nice lunch there along the waterfront, many restaurants to choose from.