A week in shanghai

Search

A week in shanghai

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13th, 2007, 12:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A week in shanghai

Will be in Shanghai with family (2 teens), any suggestions as far as tours, shopping, and must see attractions. Is there any tour company that may have tour packages if so any idea how much it may cost.
Old Oct 13th, 2007, 06:00 PM

As you're not short of time I think you'd enjoy finding your own way around Shanghai on foot - we did, anyway. Pick up a good city map, with street names etc. in both Chinese characters and Roman alphabet and even before leaving home buy a guidebook that covers Shanghai and nearby places of interest (Suzhou, Hangzhou and the "water villages&quot.

As long as weather allows, it's a good city to walk around. Shanghai is a relatively new city and doesn't have the wealth of ancient sites you'll find in many other cities, but its 19th-20th century history is very interesting. It was the centre of 19th century European incursions into China and (not unrelated) the cradle of the Communist revolution. There are interesting reminders of those times - the French Concession and Bund, of course, but also the former houses of Sun Yatsen and Zhou Enlai and the site of the first national conference of the CCP, all museums now. The fantastic art museum at Renmin Park is also well worth a visit. Old town and the "antiques" market (quote marks deliberate) are also worth a visit.

The kids should also enjoy a ride in the futuristic train that runs under the river from the Bund to the Oriental Pearl Tower in Pudong, and the high-speed elevator to the top; also the Maglev train from the airport (use "search" on this forum to get info on this, as it doesn't actually terminate in the city centre).

With a week to spare you can take a bus or train to Suzhou or Hangzhou, a few hours away (overnight stay recommended).

And there's always shopping, although if one or both of your kids are male you might need to dump them somewhere first. Don't worry about getting lost -if you have a decent map it shouldn't happen, as most street signs are bilingual. Even if you do, it's am easy matter to hail a cab (metered taxis are cheap, reliable and honest) and show the driver where you want to go. Always make sure to carry your hotel's business card.

We spent 7 days in Shanghai, 3 of them involuntary due to an airline stuff-up, but we never ran out of things to see and do. I like the city.
Old Oct 13th, 2007, 06:47 PM

Neil said it all, Shanghai is a young city yet it is huge, sprawling, bustling and energetic. You can easily get around exploring by yourself and a week is not long (others might differ). An overnight side trip is highly recommended giving your a different perspective. Fodor's first Shanghai edition came out this summer, loads of great information.
Old Oct 13th, 2007, 07:42 PM

This woman's kids were a bit younger, but I enjoyed her trip report this summer. They spent two weeks in Shanghai for a summer camp.

<i>July in China (with kids)</i>
http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...p;tid=35043186

Oh, and my (adult) friends loved the Bund ride. They have some cool-looking photos!
Old Oct 14th, 2007, 02:48 AM

During our recent whistle-stop tour of China, Shanghai was our favourite place. By the time we reached there, we were thoroughly fed up with our tour operator and abandoned all the organised stuff to do our own thing. We walked for miles all over the city, wandering around with our maps. Now and again we got lost and with much comical sign language and finger pointing at our maps, the local people, who were very friendly and helpful sent us on our way again.
We stumbled upon all the must see sights and found some memorable non-touristy stuff completely by accident.
You must try to find the time to wander around any parks you come accross. Better than any West End show and unforgetable!!
We too loved the Bund Tourist Tunnel, and we are grandparents!!
Video and pics on our site
www.leightravelclub.com
but you might want to wait to see the tunnel 'in the flesh'!!!
Old Oct 14th, 2007, 03:20 AM

Hi,joadan,

How many days you plan to stay in Shanghai? What you want to find , history or culture or some places for Children?
Old Oct 16th, 2007, 12:57 PM
Original Poster

We will be there for 1 week. Would like to find a bit of history, culture and fun for the kids. Also my husband would like to get a custom made suit any suggestions?