Phuket "Must Do's"

Search

Phuket "Must Do's"

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14th, 2007, 12:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Phuket "Must Do's"

So sorry to have missed the Boston GTG yesterday. I would have loved to have met so many of you who have been so helpful as we've worked on this trip... But since I wasn't there to ask in person, here's the next big question as we get closer to finalizing a game plan for our November trip: What to do in Phuket??

We arrive on a Monday afternoon and depart Friday morning, so three days and four nights staying in Kata Beach at Mom Tri's Boathouse. We will have already done a cooking class and Elephant experience in CM. We have a John Gray Hongs by Starlight tour planned (I think) for Wednesday afternoon/evening - although I'm not getting response emails from them other than a confirmation that my payment was processed successfully - ideas on that are welcome, too.

And if there are no "musts," I'm not opposed to three days on the beach after a pretty ambitious agenda earlier in the trip. That said, don't want to miss out on any highlights, so I'm wide open to suggestions. Thanks much for your thoughts and ideas!!
Old Oct 14th, 2007, 01:26 PM

As you know, Phuket is primarily a beach resort. The one things that does get recommended with some frequency is a John Gray tour. Other than that, you should relax... after all, that's why you are going to the beach!
Old Oct 14th, 2007, 03:09 PM

When we did the John Gray Hong trip, we got a fax the day before at our hotel which told us what time they were picking us up. I had had a few e-mails back and forth with John as well beforehand, but after booking, I just had a payment receipt as well. It should be fine. Often John is out on trips overnight or for a few nights and e-mails go unanswered. If you are worried, try again or call them. But I think it's fine.
Old Oct 16th, 2007, 03:05 AM
Original Poster

Any thoughts on Fantasea?? It sounds a little more "Vegas" than I'd typically seek out, but I've heard the show is actually really good.

Also, in terms of dinner reservations, pick between the Boathouse Wine & Grill or Mom Tri's Kitchen (or both??). Other restaurants - I've read that Ka Jok See in Phuket Town is also very good. Other more "hole in the wall" kinds of places worth trying??
Old Oct 16th, 2007, 05:00 AM

I enjoyed Fantasea and thought it well done. You could take a day trip to Phi Phi Island which I enjoyed.
I enjoyed going to The Hide Away Spa.
Baan Rim Pa is a very nice restaurant in Patong. I also enjoyed dining at the Amari Hotel out of Patong. In Karon there is a Mexican restaurant Las Margaritas and the Karon Cafe that would be cheaper where I have eaten.
In Patong there is a good Italian restaurant-not sure of the name-maybe Salvadores.
A Travestite show -Simon Caberet which was interesting.
Old Oct 16th, 2007, 06:05 AM

I second a day trip to Phi Phi islands to snorkel on Phi Phi Don if your trip does not include that. Try to go with a small group but in a fast boat so you can spend a few hoours snorkeling, take a taxi and driver for 1 hour tour and relax until return to Phuket. It is first rate snorkeling close in. Exceptional snorkeling, some of the best in Asia, is on the Simillan Islands but with a fast power boat you travel 4-5 hrs. RT to a snorkel heaven and spend 3 hours there but it is a 10+/- hr. day but "special". The season is April to about Sept.1st. They actually close the Simillan area (60 miles off shore) to trips after that because water gets quite rough but it is GREAT.
Old Oct 16th, 2007, 12:58 PM

I recommend that you dine at both the Boathouse Grill and Mom Tri's Kitchen. Both are exceptional IMO.

When I go to Mom Tri's, I'm always there for rest and relaxation so I can't think of any must-do's unless you take the day trip to Phi Phi.

Carol