A week in Malaysia or Hong Kong?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20th, 2007, 01:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I will be in Singapore in the first week of October. We would like to visit either Malaysia or Hong Kong after that, for a week. Any suggestions from Fodorites to help us plan our trip?
Old Aug 20th, 2007, 01:48 PM

IF you haven't been before, then Hong Kong is one of the world's great cities - the Star Ferry ride from Kowloon to the island is unforgettable. It's become much more Chinese since we Brits handed it back and, if anything, even more frantic, it makes NYC look laid back. That said, a week may be just too long, Hong Kong/Kowloon isn't that big. Since you're traveling from Singapore, Malaysia is just a short hop. For a week, I'd suggest splitting it between Kuala Lumpur - which is a bustling city with a fascinating blend of old and new, and better shopping than Singapore - and one of the island resorts, such as Langkawi to the north. This is largely unspoiled, there are some excellent resort hotels and the beaches are first class. Last time I was there we went on a tour and saw kingfishers, monkeys, sea eagles, flying foxes, zebra fish and dolphins on the same excursion! It's a tough choice, though. Whichever you choose, it will certainly be different from clean, shiny and efficient Singapore. Oh, one more thing, when in Singapore, you must visit the Night Zoo - it's remarkable.
Old Aug 20th, 2007, 01:59 PM

Hong Kong is a huge, bustling city. I've spent a week there a couple of times and there is lots to do.

Malaysia has a lot to offer. KL is not my favorite city. It's worth a couple of days. I've been to Malaysian Borneo - consider a week in Kuching and the surrounding area or a week in Sabah - you could even stay at a jungle lodge and see orangutangs in the wild. (Search for a post called Kathie's Borneo Trip Report). There are beautiful beach reosrts near both Kuching and Kota Kinabalu if you want a couple of days at a beach.

Penang is another interesting place. It's worth going just to stay at the justly famed E&O hotel. I did a trip report at the end of 2006 about that trip - if you search on Penang you'll probably find ti. I think the report is called Kathie's Penang, Chiang Mai and Bangkok Trip 2006. We loved stay in Georgetown and exploring tthat area. The Hawker food is incredible. I wouldn't go to Penang for the beaches.
Old Aug 20th, 2007, 02:30 PM

You could visit Malacca and/or KL for 2 to 3 days. Remainder of the week in HK. You could substitute a beach resort for KL if you prefer. This would give you a varied experience in an old historical town (Malacca), modern city and shopping(KL) or chill out in beach resort.
Old Aug 20th, 2007, 02:57 PM

Malaysia is interesting but you need to get out of KL and/or drive on the east coast. I'd recommend Bangkok over Hong Kong. Or Bali.
Old Aug 20th, 2007, 07:54 PM

Hong Kong is a lot more vibrant!
Old Aug 20th, 2007, 08:48 PM

Having been to both , I would definitely say Hong Kong and I disagree that a week there is too long. You san easily fill a week with plenty left over. It is an exciting place to visit. Have fun whichever you decide!
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 02:36 AM

I've been to Hong Kong four times now, I'm not really a big fan of the place to be honest. There is plenty to do I suppose if you like big cities. The advantage with Malaysia is that you wouldn't have to ly to get there. I enjoyed Melaka when I visited.

http://www.travelsinasia.com/Malaysia/Malaysia.htm
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 02:40 AM

There are some wonderful places to go in Malaysia - kathie is a great Borneo fan and she is right, though you'd have to focussed on what you wanted to do if you only have a week. Same goes for Peninsula Malaysia - Malacca and Penang are great destinations for wandering especially if you are into history/architecture/food.

Are you adventurous types? Like does the idea of the journey appeal? If yes, then Pensinsula Malaysia. Are you wildlife lovers - then Borneo.

But if you are city lovers, then Hong Kong is the place. I've only been once and spent six days t
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 02:44 AM

continued .. haha .. six days, or seven if you count it as my "base". I actually spent two of those nights in Macau. I don't know how much it has changed, but I loved the old part.

And there are many islands other than the main island making up Hong Kong; and there are the New Territories too.

Add to those three possibilities for a "trip" a day out to Stanley, and all the shes pogto thR, Victoria Island sn. mait might have been seven.t

Old Aug 21st, 2007, 02:51 AM

continued .. haha .. six days, or seven if you count it as my "base". I actually spent two of those nights in Macau. I don't know how much it has changed, but I loved the old part.

And there are many islands other than the main island making up Hong Kong; and there are the New Territories too.

Add to those three possibilities for a "trip" a day out to Stanley, and all the shopping, and the awesome Museum of Art, and the trip to Victoria Peak, and the food, and just wandering the streets (nights markets too) .. then I'd vote for Hong Kong.

Happy travels.

And sorry for the multiple posts.
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 05:54 AM

A week is a bit short but I would not miss HK but 2 full days/3 nights. But you should go to 2 destinations in Malaysia and most of those mentioned are interesting. I personally did not enjoy Penang. But you need 7 days with transportation to do the trip justice having traveled that far.
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 12:39 PM

I mean 7 days in Malaysia plus 2-3 in HK=9 plus the day you lloose going over.
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 04:05 PM

My personal view is that Hong Kong and Singapore are quite similar with the former much more crowded.
Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 05:00 AM

Have to assume that Cilla hasn't been to both.

The similarity ends with a closely built up high rise central business district. If you are comparing the city areas of both, then Hong Kong is infinitely more interesting. If you are thinking about what else is on offer (outside the city limits) then HK wins hands down.

Unless, maybe you want to get on a bus and check out Malacca which you coul dodelssspossibilities for trips away - but those from HK are more easily doneesesb
Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 02:46 PM

Have been to Singapore many times. Spent the first 19 years of my life in Malaysia and I've been to Hong Kong 5 times since it reverted to China. My advice to Pawan if you're a first-timer to Asia and may not visit again for awhile is to combine two very different places.
Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 03:33 PM

As to HK or Singapore being more interesting is subjective. Singapore offers a more varied cultural experience. Both cities offer a lot to visitors. I've been to HK many times since the 80s and stayed there for 3 months last year.
Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 12:37 AM

Obviously a matter of personal taste. I've been to HK 3x, and just spent 5 weeks in Malaysia.

I'd much rather spend it in MY cos its a full country and HK is rather small, but they are both good places and you won't go wrong with either. HK will be much more of a city thing, where MY offers rainforest/city/beaches and on and on..