Reload this Page >

a little help planning a special trip to thailand

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 02:19 AM
RJ

looking to plan a special trip to thailand this august for a week. looking at bangkok, chiang mai and then an island, maybe koh samui or phuket. i am looking for color on how long to devote to each place and higher-end places to stay (under $300). also, which of the islands (or others in s. thailand or n. malaysia) would be a more romantic setting. we are both in late 20's so a decent nightlife is a bonus but not a neccessity.<BR><BR>

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 05:37 AM
Anon

One week is not enough time to do this itinerary. You need 3 full days in Bangkok, 2 days in Chiang Mae and 3 full days to make it worthwhile to travel to an island. You will also need at least a 1/2 day each way in travel time to Chiang Mae and an island. You will also need a couple of days to get to Thailand and return home. That's about 12 days total. If you are just going for a week, skip the islands and stay at one of the riverside hotels (Peninsula, Sheraton, Oriental, $150-350/nt) in Bangkok. The Westin is the most expensive hotel in Chiang Mae but will not run more than $75 or so per night.

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 05:54 AM
Hanuman

Bangkok: Best hotel is the Oriental hotel and in August(low season) it should be less than $300.<BR><BR>Chain Mai: Best, and most expensive, is the Regent hotel and again going there in August you should be able to get a good deal.<BR><BR>Phuket: Amanpuri is the best but for a couple I would opt for the Banyan Tree. Try their "Pool with Jacuzzi" room very private and romantic!<BR><BR>All these hotels you will be able to find their web site on the net.

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 10:12 AM
x

You may have a hard time finding a "higher end place" in Phuket for less than $300. The Amanpuri cheapest room will probably be at least $400.

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 08:59 PM
RJ

thanks for reply. we have 10days to travel and only a 6h flight to bangkok from dubai so we gain some advantage there. only looking for a 1 1/2 days in bangkok and therefore will be able to maximize beach time. dramatic scenary is also important coming from the desert. therefore, koh samui or phuket? what are top places in ks?

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 04:39 AM
anon

Regarding the Regent in Chiang Mai--it is the best and most expensive but way out of town.<BR><BR>If nightlife is not a necessity on Koh Samui, try the Honeymoon Cottage at Laem Set Inn (www.laemsetinn.com). The property is a bit out of the way but worth the effort to get there. The rate is $250/night. They have an excellent restaurant and the view from the cottage is "dramatic". The beach is small but when we were there, it was deserted most of the time.

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 04:55 PM
nybob

why is banyan tree beter than amanpuri?

Old Apr 25th, 2002, 06:01 AM
BJB

We did this same itinerary a year ago but had two full weeks. One week (even without travel) is cutting it close. I did not enjoy Bangkok nearly as much as Chiang Mai and Koh Samui so I would suggest cutting that portion short. Recommend the Peninsula since your view across the river (facing the Oriental and the Shangri La) will be much more pleasant and the water launch brings you across in only five mins. It is one of the most technologically advanced hotels I've seen, including a TV and stereo controls in the bathtub.<BR><BR>If you don't stay at the Regent in Chiang Mai, you might always regret it. I've stayed at some of the best hotels in the world and this is definitely one of my favorites. It is a little bit of a drive into town but we hired a car and driver for five days and he was available 24 hrs a day. Cost was less than $100 including RT airport tranportation. Will look for his card but his name is Paul and he works for the local taxi company.<BR><BR>We stayed at the Meridien Baan Taling Naam in Samui and were disappointed. While it is probably the most beautiful hotel on the island, our room was not what we expected for the price (esp compared to the other two hotels I mentioned) and the service was disappointing. One example: When told of the exhorbitant cost for the hotel to arrange a taxi for dinner and airport transportation, we decided to call a taxi. Not only would the hotel not call one for us but they would not even give us the number! We ended up calling a tour company and hiring another driver for the entire day which was cheaper than the hotel tranport to the airport. Would instead suggest the Santiburi Dusit which I have heard has great service.<BR><BR>Try planetholiday.com for hotel reservations. We use them last year and again this year and were very satisfied.

Old Apr 25th, 2002, 06:01 AM
BJB

We did this same itinerary a year ago but had two full weeks. One week (even without travel) is cutting it close. I did not enjoy Bangkok nearly as much as Chiang Mai and Koh Samui so I would suggest cutting that portion short. Recommend the Peninsula since your view across the river (facing the Oriental and the Shangri La) will be much more pleasant and the water launch brings you across in only five mins. It is one of the most technologically advanced hotels I've seen, including a TV and stereo controls in the bathtub.<BR><BR>If you don't stay at the Regent in Chiang Mai, you might always regret it. I've stayed at some of the best hotels in the world and this is definitely one of my favorites. It is a little bit of a drive into town but we hired a car and driver for five days and he was available 24 hrs a day. Cost was less than $100 including RT airport tranportation. Will look for his card but his name is Paul and he works for the local taxi company.<BR><BR>We stayed at the Meridien Baan Taling Naam in Samui and were disappointed. While it is probably the most beautiful hotel on the island, our room was not what we expected for the price (esp compared to the other two hotels I mentioned) and the service was disappointing. One example: When told of the exhorbitant cost for the hotel to arrange a taxi for dinner and airport transportation, we decided to call a taxi. Not only would the hotel not call one for us but they would not even give us the number! We ended up calling a tour company and hiring another driver for the entire day which was cheaper than the hotel tranport to the airport. Would instead suggest the Santiburi Dusit which I have heard has great service.<BR><BR>Try planetholiday.com for hotel reservations. We used them last year and again this year and were very satisfied.