Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

A First Taste of Bali--give me your last minute advice.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 08:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DH and I leave Tuesday from Atlanta, flying Delta to LAX, Singapore Airlines non-stop to Singapore, then on to Bali, where we'll be staying at the Alila Ubud for 3 nights. We arrive at noon on Thursday in Bali, and will have a hotel transfer waiting. We will have the rest of Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and until late afternoon Sunday to experience a taste of Bali, before heading back to Singapore for 3 days, then on to KL for 5 days.
We were originally planning to meet DH's grown son there(he lives in KL, and has visited Bali several times), but business contraints will keep him from joining us this time.
We have reserved Friday with Putu, the guide that is so highly recommended by many on this board. We have no other set plans, and will welcome suggestions on spending our time. I know I would like to experience a dance performance, and shop for some handicrafts, but I am open to your ideas. I usually have a complete agenda for our trips, but I thought that I would be with DS and his wife, so I am late making a plan.
Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 11:14 PM

Barb, sorry that your son's is unable to join you in Bali. Work can be so inconvenient!

I've bumped up a thread on where to find dances in the Ubud area. The Alila will also have a list of "what's on" but I caution you to have a backup as these things change.

In the area of the Four Seasons there are several shops that sell good handicrafts. There are also scores of shops in Ubud proper, though the quality is variable.

For restaurants in the Ubud area we like Mosaic and Terazzo. The restaurant at Begawan Giri/Como Shambala is also very nice but a bit pricey. You could consider it for a drink.

If you want to see more of Bali, I think it's worth the drive down to the beach area to go KuDeTa. You could combine this with a nice sunset walk on the beach.

The trekking guide at the Alila, Sanputu, has many wonderful walks in the area -- some very easy, some more demanding. He knows so much about the culture, flora and fauna of the area.

River rafting is also a lot of fun. It's the dry season now so it will be a slow and easy ride. I like the Sobek organization which is nearby the Alila.

Old Sep 4th, 2006, 08:17 PM

i would add another day with putu
Old Sep 4th, 2006, 08:17 PM

oh and have a blast....buy lots of wicker ware
Old Sep 4th, 2006, 09:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the input--I have read mixed feelings about Mosaic, with some thinking it's fab and others not in love with it . We may give it a try if my DH is up for it.

Putu is not available but 1 day for us, but I'm sure we'll stay well entertained. We leave Sunday at 8 PM for 3 days in Singapore, also a first, before heading to KL, for our 4th visit.
Old Sep 4th, 2006, 10:17 PM

Barb, we have mixed feeling about Mosaic within our family: My husband thinks it's pretentious and unfriendly. I really like the food and atmosphere, especially during the dry season (now) when you can sit in the garden. It's definitely in the high priced range for Bali. If you think it's too formal, it probably isn't the right choice.