A few China and Angkor basic questions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9th, 2012, 10:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry for what seem like simple questions that I should have been able to answer on my own...but I can't find what I'm looking for.

The Great Wall and the Angor Temples....are the walk and climbs particularly grueling? I am an ok hiker, but I have a very weak leg and my balance isn't the best. Are the new lightweight Nike athletic shoes good enough? Or athletic sandals? Or do I need something more sturdy.

Also - any other suggestions for older female attire in major cities and HK? Will it be cooler weather than san francisco - need for a jacket...etc. Many thanks!
Old Sep 9th, 2012, 10:29 AM

The temples at Angkor are not particularly grueling. Many of the steps are quite high (some were designed for elephants!). Just take your time. You may find a walking stick helpful, and you may want a guide who will help you by being your balance when needed. I prefer sandals to sneakers at Angkor because it is so hot. But consider something like Keens, that offer extra toe protection as well as ventilation.

As far as attire and whether you will need a jacket - when are you traveling?
Old Sep 9th, 2012, 11:29 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Kathie! I will be in China for the last two weeks of sept and Siem Reap the first week of Oct. Yes, I wear Keens when traveling. In China I will probably wear shoes in the cities. I anticipate hot weather in Cambodia. I was mostly wondering about Beijing and Shanghai and Xian. I also expect that HK will be hot.

Good to know about the steps!

I have always noticed what a helpful poster you are!
Old Sep 9th, 2012, 12:06 PM

the great wall in many parts has rock stairs of odd heights, many changing from step to step so have sturdy shoes.. i would think sandals would not be the best..

angkor is much easier.. just don't climb some parts of it, like the huge staircase in angkor itself..
Old Sep 9th, 2012, 02:03 PM
kja

For the Great Wall, I agree with rhkkmk - sturdy shoes, not sandals! And BTW, there were handrails along the steeper parts of the two segments I climbed. Enjoy!