Search

A China Trip Route and a few important questions

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26th, 2009, 12:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A China Trip Route and a few important questions

Hello Guys,

I’m heading to China in August, and it will be great if you could give a look to my plan and tell me what you think.

August 1- 4 Beijing
Day 4-5 Wutai Shan
Day 7-8 Ping Yao
Day 9 take plain to Chengdu from Taiyuan.
Day 9 Chengdu
Day 10-11 fly and visit Jiuzhai Valley and Huanglong.
Day 12 fly Jiuzhai-Chengdu- Hongkong.
Day 12-15 Hongkong.
Day 15 boat to Xiamen
… And from here I’m stuck, as we have to take the night train in shangai to Beijing the day 20, and I don’t know how to get to Shanghai without taking a 20 hours train.

SO the BIG questions are:

1. Do you think the route until day 15 is feasible /advisable??
2. What route do you recommend from Xiamen (or even from Hong Kong) to Shanghai??

From day 21 I’ll be alone in China, and I still don’t know where I’m going then. I wanted to go to Tibet, but some people told me it’s going to be too complicate/expensive for a solo traveller. SO:

1. I’ve been recommended Yunnan instead Tibet but, isn’t it too rainy in August?
2. Any other place with good ambience for a solo traveller (rather not big cities)?... and not too rainy now!

And, last question:

1. Do you know any reliable Travel Agency in Beijing to ask for plane/train tickets, advise, etc.?

Thanks a lot

Demian (Spain)
Old Jul 26th, 2009, 01:32 PM

seems like the easiest way would be to fly on some discount airline
Old Jul 27th, 2009, 07:15 PM

Hola Demian,

We did a similar trip to yours, but had to (wanted to) stop in Datong. You can get an idea of what we did from these two Google maps: http://bit.ly/75ReL (wooden temples) and http://bit.ly/JUIoj (buddhist caves).

Also, I would love to advise you on timing, etc., but realistically, the only people who can organize complicated trips (Wutai Shan is not on the normal tourist route!) is a travel agent. We used, and highly recommend, China Base (http://www.chinabasetravel.com/) - they were able to organize trains, buses, drivers, advise on timing, get discounts on hotels, etc.

Have a FABULOUS time; you have a great itinerary.
Old Jul 27th, 2009, 07:53 PM

No need to be discount airline. Just any airline from Xiamen to Shanghai. From Hong Kong to Shanghai, you can fly direct; or can save some money by flying out of Shenzhen.
Old Jul 27th, 2009, 08:08 PM

Starting from the top: how are you getting from Beijing to Wutaishan? And what do you want to do at Wutaishan?

In fact, these questions apply to almost every stop you have indicated. In other words, why did you choose this stop and what is the attraction(s) that you are going to see that attracted you to choose this particular stop instead of some other site?

Please give us some more information. Many thanks!
Old Jul 28th, 2009, 06:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies!!

Wutai Shan is supposed to be a great place por trekking and enjoying mountains and landscape, and I've read there's a bus going there from Beijing.

In general, we want a balance between big cities, landscapes and inner villages.

The big question for me now is what to de between Hong kong and Shanghai without taking another flight.

Thanks again!
Old Jul 28th, 2009, 03:26 PM

My best guess right now is that for the period 15th-20th, fly/train/bus from Xiamen to Shanghai and skip the countryside between these two big cities. Then from Shanghai you could plan one day trips to Suzhou, Hangzhou, Shaoxing, Ningbo or any other nearby city of interest.

On the 20th, leave from Shanghai to Beijing.

Can't help you too much after the 20th because you haven't indicated what your interests are.
Old Jul 28th, 2009, 08:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For something a bit different you could visit Putuoshan (Buddhist island) from Shanghai.
Old Aug 7th, 2009, 10:18 AM

ctrip.com is what i used to book flights when i was in china the flights are cheap and there are always so many to choose from. if you wanted to go to tibet, you can do so from Chengdu. when i was in Chengdu we stayed at a really nice hostel called sims cozy garden hostel/guesthouse and they had great services helping people obtain visas and and plan trips into tibet. we also took a bus from Chengdu to Leshan and went to see the giant buddha that was a nice side trip. the food in Chengdu is really good, very spicy but delicious, look for somewhere with lots of locals Have fun!
Old Aug 7th, 2009, 10:24 AM

also a great stop on your way to hong kong was yangshuo. it is a very touristy town but it was really relaxing, and there is plenty to do like cycling in the country side, and taking a bamboo raft down li river was amazing for pictures. this is a great relaxing stop before heading to hong kong