Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Xian for 1 day to see Terra Cotta Warriors

Sep 12th, 2009, 05:45 PM
Original Poster

We are going on a Asian cruise, I want to see the Terra Cotta Warriors but we do not go to Xian. Is it easier to get there from Shanghi or Beijing? What is the cheapest way to buy air tickets and get a tour?
Thanks
Sep 12th, 2009, 06:45 PM

beijing is a bit closer i think but either is a quick flight away...

many like to buy tickets once in china, but i like everything done before i leave home when it comes to flights..
Sep 12th, 2009, 07:53 PM

As a quick glance at any map of China will show you, Beijing is closer than Xi'an.

From Beijing you have the option of overnight express trains in either direction, or flying. From Shanghai your only option if your time is limited would be to fly.

The cheapest way to buy air tickets is on arrival in China, and best of all from the city of departure.

You don't need a tour, but can get directly to the warriors by bus from near the railway station in Xi'an. You can also charter a taxi on arrival at Xi'an airport to go directly there.
Sep 13th, 2009, 02:51 AM

Hi

My wife and I did the overnight train from Beijing to Xian a few years back as you can see from my trip report on http://gardkarlsen.com/china_beijing.htm . After we had seen the warriors we took a flight to Shenzen(?) near Hong Kong as that was cheaper than flying to Hong Kong. It was quite amazing to see the warriors with our own eyes. Hope that you get to see them and have a great cruise

Regards
Gard
http://gardkarlsen.com - trip reports and pictures
Sep 13th, 2009, 08:28 AM

Should have read "Beijing is closer to Xi'an than Shanghai."
Sep 13th, 2009, 09:20 AM

We just returned from China & took both routes of travel -- the overnight train from Xi'an to Beijing and China Eastern Airlines from Shanghai to Xi'an.

I prefered the air travel. It was easy and cheaper than the train, which I wasn't a big fan of and we had the 2-berth deluxe sleeper with toilet and sink. Long ride and very smokey. (8pm arrive 7am Beijing.) Air travel was 2 hours 15. Airports were much less congested than the train stations which were chaotic.

I booked air tickets on travelzen.com while we were in China. The rates went down from earlier in the month. Also, they did not require sending in copies of passports, only entering the numbers in when purchasing.

Are you planning to stay overnight in Xi'an? Or, taking a flight/train to another city? It's doable to fly in, take a taxi or bus (we didn't use a bus from the airport), view the soldiers, taxi or bus back to train station or airport. And, no guide is needed.

Regarding the order of viewing the soldiers, I saw no reason not to start with pit one.