9 Days in Thailand

Old Feb 24th, 2018, 02:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
9 Days in Thailand

I'm planning 9 days in Thailand this June (before Thailand a several days in Hong Kong), myself and 2 adult daughters. Split half northern, half a southern beach location. My first thought is for Northern Chiang Mai area, and a Southern beach, costal over island due to accessibility with limited time.

Our interests are cultural, crafts and animal. We are "tourists" but are looking for a more local experience over all tourist attractions, and big crowds. I am open to all suggestions, as I find it hard to read between the lines of may of the Trip Advisor posts/reviews.

I am looking for recommendation for an ethical elephant sanctuary that tours in small groups (hopefully a more intimate experience). More seems to be listed in the Northern region, but I am open to either North or South.

Best locations for Hill Tribe silver. Other regional crafts.

Buddhist temples, but they seem to be all over.

Beach locations easily accessible to and from Bangkok, as we will fly from North to south, then depart back to US from Bangkok, some activity but not overly commercial.

All ideas welcomed, Thanks Trip Advisor Community!
Old Feb 24th, 2018, 02:28 PM

The largest variety of Buddhist temples (and the most important ones) are in Bangkok. I highly recommend that you spend at least a few days in Bangkok.

I have two recommendations for you for ethical elephant sanctuaries: In the north, The Elephant Nature Park; In the south,Elephant Hills. Google these places and you can make reservations online. Unfortunately, the ones recommended on Trip Advisor are well-known for their mistreatment of the elephants. BTW, this is not trip Advisor, but Fodors. You might want to choose a beach area close to Elephant Hills to minimize your transit times.

Authentic Hill Tribes silver is hard to come by. Many years ago, you could buy it in the night market in Chiang Mai, but it's been a long time since I've seen authentic Hill Tribes silver in any of the markets. Likely your best place to find it would be in one of the high-end crafts shops in Bangkok, e.g., the Thai crafts floor of Siam Paragon.

Have a wonderful trip!
Old Feb 28th, 2018, 12:40 PM

"I am looking for recommendation for an ethical elephant sanctuary that tours in small groups (hopefully a more intimate experience.)"

There are tours that involve "bathing elephants" as part of the thrill of being around elephants. Keep in mind that if this is something you might consider doing that these elephants pee and crap in the water you are standing in! You can get infections if you have some open sores or wounds. Also with all the splashing going on and you possibly touching your face you might ingest some of this crap. This could account for some stomach problems later on that you may think is "bad food." (Sometimes elephants really don't want tourists bothering them!)
Elephant flings tourist into the air in Thailand

If you visit a "Hill Tribe" in the Chiang Mai - Chiang Rai area keep in mind that this a representation only. Some tourists are put off that this is a show for tourists. They fail to understand that these actors want indoor plumbing, electricity, televisions, washing machines and electric fans just like us. Most Westerners have modern conveniences today but our distant ancestors probably had outhouses and kerosene lamps. None of us want to live like that again!

....9 days in Thailand this June..... Split half northern, half a southern beach location. "

See if you can fit in a couple days for Bangkok. Bangkok has lots of interesting historical things to see.
(Google up historical landmarks Bangkok if interested. Lots of temples, palace, museums, etc.)

".. southern beach location."

When you choose a beach location factor in the prevailing weather for June. Some beach areas better during June. Maybe Koh Samui if you really want to swim. Or Hua Hin if you mostly want to relax but at a beach not as good as Koh Samui. (Hua Hin is not that far from Bangkok.)

Good luck.

Last edited by SirHalberd; Feb 28th, 2018 at 12:55 PM. Reason: Removed link with too much advertising.
Old Mar 3rd, 2018, 06:56 PM

We worked with Sgt Kai in Chiang Rai who arranged a visit to the Golden Triangle and could probably help you with what you are interested in, and then with Chiang Mai Driver Guide in Chiang Mai who arranged a trip for us to Doi Inthanon where we took a hike that culminated at a Karen village - but not one of the ones that are "zoo like" - actually just a few people going about their everyday life - and we had coffee they grow there, then went to a Hmong (I think) bazaar where we bought a few things. But either of these guides could probably help you design the northern part of your trip. Have fun