6 Month Validity

Mar 17th, 2018, 08:33 AM
Original Poster

6 Month Validity

Hello,

I have a U.S passport which is set to expire on July 9th, 2018. I'm visiting Pakistan from March 21st to April 2nd. I do have a Pakistan visa which is valid until the expiration of my passport and it has multiple entries for up to 1 year stay. Would I be fine if my passport expires in 3 months and only staying in Pakistan for 1 week? I do not plan to overstay!

Thank you.
Mar 17th, 2018, 09:41 AM

This sounds like a question for the Pakistani consulate. I take it form your post that Pakistan is one of the Asian countries that requires 6 months validly on your passport when you enter the country. Whether the (still valid) visa will over ride that requirement, I don't know. Is your visa still valid if you get a new passport? Normally, in these situations, I suggest the people renew their passport before they travel.
Mar 17th, 2018, 09:45 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kathie View Post
This sounds like a question for the Pakistani consulate. I take it form your post that Pakistan is one of the Asian countries that requires 6 months validly on your passport when you enter the country. Whether the (still valid) visa will over ride that requirement, I don't know. Is your visa still valid if you get a new passport? Normally, in these situations, I suggest the people renew their passport before they travel.
The problem is, I'm leaving March 21st and returning April 2nd. I don't be able to renew my passport because I only have 4 days left to leave for Pakistan.

I posted this same question on another forum and 2 Pakistan members replied back saying that the 6 month rule doesn't apply for people who already have a pakistani visa in their passport. I believe this could be true but I'm trying to post this question on different forums to see of I get the same replies.
Mar 17th, 2018, 09:46 AM

When my neighbor applied for a visa to Pakistan it required 6 month validity at the time of application. I don't know for sure but if that is the rule its very likely there would not be 6 months left at the time of travel. I believe 3 months is all that is needed - but again I'm not sure, basically 2nd hand from talking to my neighbor. I'd definitely check with someone in authority (consulate, State Dept. etc)

Last edited by janisj; Mar 17th, 2018 at 09:48 AM.
Mar 17th, 2018, 09:47 AM

we were posting at the same time - I think those other replies are on the right track
Mar 18th, 2018, 02:23 PM

https://travel.state.gov/content/tra.../Pakistan.html

"PASSPORT VALIDITY:
Six months beyond the date of arrival"
Mar 18th, 2018, 03:29 PM

The issue will be whether the airline will let you on the plane. If they fly you there and you are not allowed into Pakistan, they are responsible for returning you to your point of origin. Airlines don't like to do that.
Mar 18th, 2018, 11:35 PM

Many, if not the majorities of countries have the six month validity requirement which, IME always means Six months validity beyond ARRIVAL. Why not just renew the passport now and check with the Pakistani authorities if it is ok to use the visa in the cancelled passport ( and take the emails/letters with you to the airport.

It really doesn’t matter what the letter of the pakistani regulations states, airline staff and immigration will err on the side of caution. Pakistan is one of those countries in the world that I would want to make sure everything is correct.

Search this Thread