Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

6 hours at Hong Kong Airport in between flight connections

Old Jun 30th, 2011, 04:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have 6hrs to waste in between our connecting flights - we have two young boys so a 6hr wait will be a challenge.
Is Hong Kong airport busy with things to do/eat/see?
Are you allowed to venture outside and if so, is there anything nearby that is worth seeing?
we arrive 6pm and our flight to Dubai is at midnight.

Regards,
AC
Old Jun 30th, 2011, 05:43 PM

If you wanted to leave the airport and assuming you're from a country that can get visa on arrival, then you do have time to go into town for a meal or a stroll. Normally if the airport is busy it will take you around 1/2 hour to clear immigration and another 1/2 hour, roughly, to get on the airport express train and the journey into the city. Spend 3.5 hours in the city then come back to the airport, again assuming you will already have your boarding pass and the luggage are checked through.

http://www.mtr.com.hk/eng/airport_ex...tro_index.html

If you wanted to spend the time in the airport then IMO that's not too bad either. Lots of shops, both air-side and land-side, see below for the airport link.

http://www.hongkongairport.com/eng/shopping/index.html
Old Jun 30th, 2011, 07:12 PM

I agree with the assessment and I think if you've never been to Hong Kong, it's worth a quick trip out to the city for a quick stroll.

Get the "same-day return" tickets on the Airport Express, ride to Hong Kong, then take Star Ferry across harbor to Tsimshatsui - which should be around 8pm for the light show across the harbor. Wander around the Avenue of the Stars, then grab some bites to eat in Tsimshatsui, a bit of (window) shopping, then head to one of the major hotels to ride the free Airport Express shuttle bus to the Kowloon station and take train back to airport.

Think that'd be more fun and enjoyable than staying at the airport.
Old Jul 1st, 2011, 12:36 PM

I would agree that you should take the ferry across to Kowloon (Tsimshatsui) as it is very busy in the evening. Lots to see/do/eat/shop, etc.
Old Jul 5th, 2011, 02:41 PM
Original Poster

thanks so much - we are coming from Sydney so I think visas will be easy to obtain - might look into heading out.
rgds
AC
Old Jul 5th, 2011, 06:47 PM

If you are Australian nationals, there's no visa needed for short visits to Hong Kong.