6 Days in Tokyo with Kids--need help planning

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14th, 2007, 07:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm travelling to Tokyo (in ten days) with my inlaws, husband and kids (5, 6), and another couple with kids (10, 12). Have no definite plans of things to do or see yet except that the men are going to the Tokyo Motor Show.

I would appreciate any suggestions on the ff.

1. Best way to get to the hotel from airport (bus, or hire door to door van for all?)
2. Things to do in the city, which kids (all girls) will enjoy.
3. We plan to take them to DisneySea. Should we spend the last 2 nights in a hotel in the Disney complex, and go back to Narita from there? Wil the park we full in October? We plan to be at the park on Oct. 29, a Monday.

We've all been to Tokyo a number of times, but never with kids, so this will be all about family bonding, and things they will enjoy and remember.

thanks for anything you can share!
Old Oct 15th, 2007, 11:22 AM

If I am counting correctly there are 10 of you. I would think that taking the limousine bus service directly to your hotel would be the most convenient. At about 3,000 yen per person it is worth it. I don't think you can hire a van to take you for 30,000 yen. A taxi for 1 person to Tokyo station is around 17,000 plus tolls so....wouldn't think you could hire a van for 10 people with luggage any cheaper.

Plus the limo bus is so easy and in most cases door to door.

I would expect Disney to be less crowded on a Monday.

Take the kids to Shibuya. They will love the shopping and the lifestyle there.

Aloha!
Old Oct 15th, 2007, 11:25 AM

As far as museums go - the Edo museum is very hands on.
The fish market is amazing, I think the kids would enjoy that too. Just expect to smell like fish all day.
Old Oct 15th, 2007, 01:10 PM

It may take longer for the kids to get over the jet-lag. Agree with Edo museum. If going to Tsukiji market, just keep an eye on the younger kids. I'd also recommend Harajuku--more posh and less scarier (as parents) than Shibuya. Added advantage is Kiddy Land. I found kimono Barbie (actually a different local name I cannot recall...) at another toy store in Ginza (Toy Park). Lots of Hello kitty merchandise--there is a corner inside Daimaru department store next to Tokyo Station. It won't be cheap, but I've seen some photo studios showing portraits of children in kimono. Something I might fancy doing...

If the weather is nice, you can always do a day-trip to Kamakura (about 1.5hr out of tokyo by train) for a nice hike.

Old Oct 15th, 2007, 01:19 PM

Also, this is not a specific location, but do take the girls to numerous game arcades if you see one. (Usually spotted when there are clusters of secondary school girls). They have so many types of machines--we liked the ones where you're supposed to do the right dance moves, or beat the drums according to on-screen marks, and the tiny photo-sticker machines.
Old Oct 15th, 2007, 02:09 PM

I am researching a trip to Tokyo as well, although not with kids. On our list of possibilities is a Sumida river boat cruise, which would probably appeal to adults and kids.
Old Oct 16th, 2007, 04:35 AM

Bonjour Vicki,

Two museums kids will enjoy:

Drums Museum in Asakusa: http://jingumae.com/tokyoq/weekly_up...oole/drum.html

Shitamachi museum in Ueno: http://jingumae.com/tokyoq/weekly_up...hitamachi.html

Both don't require much time but offer hands on activities (the first a bit noisy, but ...).

Besides, you'll find lots more ideas in the book "Tokyo for Free", by S. Pompian
Old Oct 16th, 2007, 06:02 AM

Hi!
We recently moved to Tokyo with our school age daughters so I hope I can answer a few of your questions!

1. I agree that the best way to get to the hotel is probably the airport bus (euphemistically called "Limousine!&quot This is what we have had guests with kids do. I think it may be possible to hire vans for a few hundred dollars per vehicle but it may only seat 6 persons plus the driver. (We did this when we arrived but I don't know the exact cost-sorry!) Vans save you having to haul your luggage and the trip could be shorter too. The train (Narita Express) is great and quickest (one hour rather than 1.5-2) but of course you have to haul your luggage out of the station and then find taxis to the hotel.

2. We agree with other posters that Harajuku and Yoyogi Park (especially on Sunday are fantastic for people watching and shopping. Other areas the kids enjoy are Azubu-Juban, Roppongi Hills (and Coldstone Creamery) and Tokyo Tower. Our kids are not crazy about Disneyland in general, and yes it is always always packed but it is best to get there right when it opens (I think it's 9am?) because it fills up by 11am!

Tokyo Tower is popular, as is Meiji Shrine-(near Harajuku) and that one is even interesting for kids.

Kamakura is a good idea; we haven't been but know kids who loved their visit. Our kids also enjoyed taking the 15 minute train to Asakusa (end of Ginza line) and you can catch a boat back. There are temples there and small streets with shops (and tourists of course!) and the famous Kappabashi kitchen district-everyone gets a kick out of the amazingly realistic plastic food, including sushi!

You could ask the hotel concierge about renting bikes and bike around the Imperial Palace if weather cooperates.

Our girls have really enjoyed the sticker photo booths-you have to see them to appreciate!

Hope this helps!

Old Oct 16th, 2007, 10:32 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all for your suggestions!

1. Re airport transfers, I've found out it costs 3,100 per person, half if 12 and below. To go to our hotel, which is the Tokyo Prince, we will have to take the Airport limousine bus, then transfer and take a taxi, and it might add up to the same amount as taking a van, I'm told. Check out this site http://www.tokyoairporter.com We are 6 arriving (the other 4 are arriving on another flight), but 10 of us wil be leaving together.

2. After our 4th night in Tokyo, and doing some of the things you guys suggested, we will transfer to a hotel in Disney Resort. Anyone have an idea of which hotel to stay in, aside from MiraCosta and Ambassador? Which of the other 6 or 7 onsite hotels would you recommend--hilton? sheraton?

For the transfer for our big group, we will probably use the Van service again, which takes up to 12 people and all the luggage. Sounds like a plan?

3. We hang out in DLand and DSea (monday and Tues) for a couple of days then take the van guys back to Narita for our flight (btw, we're also from Asia, so no jetlag for us).

4. How worth it is it to splurge on the Miracosta onsite for $410 as opposed to $300/room at the Sheraton or Hilton? Remember, we're talking about 3 rooms here!

5. The kiddies will stick their faces into that sticker both and will get one with all four of them in it--'m sure. What fun!

6. Any other tips I should know about when travelling with kids?

Thanks all!
Old Oct 16th, 2007, 11:03 AM

I doubt you will be able to get rooms @ the actual disney hotels this late in the game, but it wouldn't hurt to try. We stayed at the hilton and really enjoyed it. The monorail was right there which made transport very easy. I can't help with the van choices, we just bought round trip tix for the bus from nrt to our hotel and back, that was very easy and cheap. The cheap part was good for me because I am a scrooge! Let us know how the kids liked disney, last time we didn't take our 7 year old but will next year. We really liked both parks, but my wife is a disney freak and we have now been to a total of 10 different disney parks have fun on the trip!
Old Oct 16th, 2007, 04:27 PM

A couple of options for the kids could be to visit the Odaiba area of Tokyo where there is Sega Joyopolis for video games, the Giant Sky Wheel, Toyota MEGA WEB, Oedo Onsen Monogatari, Museum of Emerging Science, and lots of shopping. We haven't been there and plan to visit it in a couple of weeks, but it sounds like it has a variety of options in one walkable area.

Another option could be a day trip to Hakone. Along with taking the cable car up for views of Mt Fuji (on a clear day) and the sulphur vents, adult and child alike can enjoy Hakone Kowakien Yunessun resort. This resort has a "traditional" hotsprings section, but also an amusement park style onsen section with waterslides, green tea baths, red wine baths, etc. etc etc. Here is the website:
http://www.yunessun.com/english/index.html
Old Oct 17th, 2007, 03:28 AM

I second the big Onsen in Odaiba. Made to look like a replica of old edo, you get to choose your cotton kimonos, so many interesting baths to try--indoors and outdoors. (Don't worry, it's not "co-ed" bathing.)

As for transport logistics, you might want to consider takkyubin delivery services. You can arrange it via hotel, it usually takes one day (or overnight). We shipped a large suitcase back to the airport the night before (make sure you have an overnight bag) for JPY1600 or so. You pick the luggage at the airport.
Old Oct 17th, 2007, 05:54 AM
Original Poster

I got one night at the Miracosta (decided to splurge, and also convenient for the grandparents to get back to a number of times during the day) for all of us! We're very excited. We stayed at the Disney hotels in HK and thought that was an experience for the kids.

Considering Hakone and Odaiba from Tokyo. Will map out my itinerary now. Any ideas for meals with kids? They're easy to please and love japanese food, but I would hate to spend a whole lot at each meal.

thanks to all of you who have replied! appreciate it lots!
Old Oct 17th, 2007, 10:00 AM

Food--if they like Japanese food, great! I found food budget in Tokyo to be quite reasonable so long as you avoid expensive corporate account restaurants.

Conveyer-belt sushi is always fun and my kids loved them. You'll find lots of restaurants--Japanese/Asian/western on top floors of most department stores and shopping malls. They tend to have wax displays with prices, which are quite helpful.