5 Nights in Bangkok

Search

5 Nights in Bangkok

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6th, 2007, 09:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5 Nights in Bangkok

My wife and I are headed to Bangkok for our first visit the 3rd week of May this year. Unfortunately, it will be a quick trip as we will only be there for 5 nights.

We have been watching (lurking on) the Fodor's boards for quite some time and we really appreciate everyone's trip reports, etc. Everyone already has contributed immensely to our travel planning efforts including trying to get a BKK tour with Tong and skipping the floating market.

We do have a few questions though of the experts out there. First, we will be flying United Business from IAD to Tokyo/Narita and on to BKK. We have a 3+ hour layover in Narita. Does anyone know if we will have access to a shower either in a United Lounge or perhaps another Star Alliance lounge? Any recomendations?

Secondly, we would love to take 1 or 2 nights and go sit on a beach somewhere. Are we crazy for even trying to take this on? I see recomendations for Hua Hin on the boards but the beach just does not look that great. Perhaps someone could recommend a beautiful beach accessible by car or a short flight? One that had luxury hotels would be even better.

If we decide to stay in Bangkok (and skip the quick beach trip) the whole time than we plan to split our nights between the Peninsula and the Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit (using SPG points). More and more I read on the boards though, it sounds like we should save our points and stay at the Penn the whole time!

Thanks to everyone! We really enjoy reading all the posts.

Wade and Caroline
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 09:46 AM

i would save your points as bkk hotels are quite reasonable so it is a waste to use them there, imo....stay at the penn pool, its very nice..paper yourself....the sheraton pool is ok, but crowded...

i have a restaurant list if you want it, ask on: [email protected]

beach...the hyatt in hua hin is quite nice,,,,beach in HH is ok....i do not find most thai beaches to be anything special...

i would call united and ask about the showers...

koh samui is another choice...the problem with any of the sites for only two days is that you waste a 1/2 day getting there and 1/2 day getting back....jontiem beach near pattaya would be another choice and use starwood points there at the sheraton pattaya resort....fabulous....beach is small but the pools are fantastic and so is the view and the setting...its only 1.50 hours drive from bkk too...
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 09:47 AM

thats "pamper" yourself
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 09:51 AM

With a mere 5 nights, spend it all in Bangkok. There is much to see and do.

I'd recommend that you choose one hotel. And I'd recommend that the hotel be on the river. The Pen gets rave reviews from many. It is on the "wrong" side of the river, which is an issue for some people and not for others.

If you want to use your Starwood points in Bangkok, stay at the Towers level at the Royal Orchid Sheraton. It's a huge hotel, and the Towers makes you feel like you are staying in a small hotel. All the rooms have a full river view and you get breakfast, evening canapes and cocktails or wine and free laundry included in the room price. The Club Lounge staff are wonderful and have done all kinds of "above and beyond" things for me over the many years I've been staying there. It is my home away from home in Bangkok. It doesn't have the glitz or the cachet of the Pen, so it really depends on what you want.
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 09:53 AM

Oh, in Narita, you'll have access to the Red Carpet Club, but not to the showers when you are flying business class.
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 07:11 PM

I would split the time between the two hotels. I've hotel hopped a lot in Bangkok. I've stayed at the Pen and been to the Sukumvit Sheraton several times. The big advantage of the Sukhumvit Sheraton is that it's RIGHT at the sky train. You walk out of the door, and there are the stairs up to the platform and it's in the heart of town. If you plan to do shopping you will be in the heart of things plus there are lots of really good restaurants in the area or a skytrain stop or so away.
Personally, I wouldn't want to have to slep shopping bags all the way back to the Pen on the "wrong" side of the river. So, I'd say stay at the Sheraton Sukhumvit during the time you plan to do the most of your shopping. Happy Travels!
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 10:09 PM

I would also suggest staying in Bangkok the whole time. We just spent 5 nights in bkk last month and it wasn't enough.

Also, ask for bob's restaurant list!
Old Mar 7th, 2007, 05:47 AM

Definitely stay in Bangkok the whole time. I would suggest staying by the river. I'm not a fan of the Pen so would recommend you take Kathie's advice and go with the Royal Orchid Sheraton Towers. I'd also get a driver to take you around since it will be hot and the driver will enable you to save all your energy for sightseeing and shopping if that interests you.
Old Mar 7th, 2007, 06:47 AM

Penn is great and the ride across the river to the Penn is very relaxing. Its not on the wrong side of the river- there is no wrong side!
Penn is 5 star all the way if that is your cup of tea!
Old Mar 7th, 2007, 06:53 AM

Bill T...We always joke here about the Pen being on the "wrong" side of the river. And by it being over there, it takes longer to do things. I would definitely do two hotels. I'm personally not a fan of the Pen, but I think folks should try out different places and decide for themselves what suits their personal taste best. Happy Travels!
Old Mar 7th, 2007, 07:03 AM

my last trip to bangkok on ua was in economy, and i was able to take a shower in the rc.

i think as long as you are admitted to the rc, you are able to use all of the amenities.

Old Mar 7th, 2007, 04:43 PM
Original Poster

I want to thank everyone for the feedback. My wife and I will probably stay in Bangkok for the entire visit. When we go back to Asia next time we hope that we will have more time for exploring the rest of Thailand. We are also still planning to split our time between the Pen and the Sheraton Grande based on its proximity to shopping and dining. Does anyone have recomendations as to what/where we can expect to find the best deals? We would love to have a few special Thai pieces to display in our house.

I have also heard back from Tong and she is available for us for 2 days. I think we will do a full day city tour with her and maybe another 1/2 day tour. Any input as to perhaps a what we should do on a 1/2 day tour with Tong outside of the city?

Thanks again for all the feedback and assistance.
Old Mar 7th, 2007, 06:40 PM

ask her to take you to the secret place...
Old Mar 8th, 2007, 11:27 AM

coastie100:
You will love the Penn- 5 star lux at an afforable price. The views are great and everything works! The ride across the river to the Skytrain is very relaxing. Try their Dim Sum in their Chinese restaurant- very reasonably priced (watch out though the tea is a little expensive). They also have great breakfast buffets!
Old Mar 8th, 2007, 04:59 PM

Don't worry about showers at Narita. even if United does not have them, there are easily acessible showers for the public. Cheap, clean and very refreshing.

Stay in BKK the whole time and plan on some pool time in the late afternoon. very relaxing. I'm with guenmai and think a change in hotels would liven things up.

Tong is a great guide. For the second day, you could make merit, visit the secret place (about 1 hour 15 minutes from BKK) and then return to your hotel or you could visit an orphanage. Check my trip report or RhKKmk's trip report (from early December) for further information on a delightful day. Say hello to Tong from Bob and Andy.
Old Mar 8th, 2007, 06:52 PM

that would be bob and karen, andy and beth....andy and i are not as yet partners...
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 06:00 PM

If you stay at the Penn. ask for a floor above the apt. building next door. Maybe 7th floor or above and facing the river.
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 06:54 PM

bangkok is the best place to hang out , do not go to those tourist beach.
Old Mar 28th, 2007, 04:46 AM

You and your wife will love the shopping in Bangkok. It's fantastic! When you are staying at the Grande, you will be in the heart of it. Good for you!

I would start by taking the skytrain right outside your door to the SIAM station. Take a look at the 4 malls in this area. Directly outside the skytrain you will find Siam Paragon. This is the newest, and very upscale, mall. Cross the fountain courtyard, and you will enter Siam Center. This is a Thai sort of mall, with Thai designer shops full of clothing and shoes and such. Thai sizes are smaller than US sizes...

Cross another courtyard (or use the 3rd floor (?) cross-over) and you will enter Siam Discovery. Siam Discovery has a fantastic movie theater on the top floor. It's called the Gold Class Theater. I don't care if the movie is a complete dud, it's fun to watch it in this theater. There are only about 30 seats in the theater, and they are all lazyboy-type recliners, with pillows, blanket, footies, and some have built-in massagers! Munch on your popcorn, sip your cold beer, have a glass of wine, enjoy the movie as if you were at home on your own couch!! Siam Discovery mall has some shops that you see in the US, but also one of my favorite "everything" stores, called The Loft.

OK, if you want a true Thai experience, take a look at MBK. It is diagonally across the street from Siam Discovery. You cross to this mall by walking along the walkways above the traffic. MBK is very interesting. You might find some Thai-made items here, very cheap, back in the open market area on the upper floors (3-7). You can haggle over prices at these open booths. It's fun!

You will now want to take the skytrain to the ChitLom station, which is in the direction of your hotel. There are TWO skytrain routes in Bangkok. MBK has a direct link to the "other" skytrain route, the one you've NOT taken. It goes from MBK to the river. The two skytrain routes meet at SIAM. You take the MBK skytrain to the next stop (Siam) and walk to the opposite side of the track and catch the next train, which will take you in the direction of your hotel AND ChitLom station. Make sure you are headed to "On Nut" station... just to be sure you are going the right direction.

OK, at ChitLom, you can go directly into the very upscale Gaysorn Plaza (watch the signs as you exit the skytrain) and another ramp goes into the Central World Plaza (this is now referred to as the largest mall in SE Asia). Also at this skytrain stop, and located BEHIND Gaysorn, you will find NariPhand Thai Crafts Center. I'm sure you will find things in here to take home with you.

On the other side of the street at the ChitLom stop, you can enter another mall, with a lot of Thai-made goods in the center court, called Amarin Plaza. There is also the upscale Erewon (sp) center, by the Hyatt. If you are a cigar smoker (like my own DH and DS) there is a nice cigar bar at the Hyatt (lobby level).

If you still feel like shopping after this "tour" of the malls, you have Central Department Store, Robinson Dept Store (by your hotel, I think) and another two (?) stops beyond your hotel is the Emporium Mall... another very nice mall!!

If you walk along the street where your hotel is located, you will find lots of smaller shopping centers. Most will have restaurants, food courts, hair dressers, coffee shops, etc. and all are air conditioned for your comfort (when out walking).

If you want to hear about the Thai markets, just ask. That's a "whole 'nother kind of experience" if you want to try it. Also, there is Pantip Plaza, a mall that is filled with computers, cameras, software, everything electronic. Amazing!

Sorry to ramble on and on about the shopping, but that's what I love to do in Bangkok!

Carol
Old Apr 29th, 2007, 09:00 PM

Skytrain station (BTS) for Emporium is Phrom Phong (E5).

As well as Panthip Plaza the other good place for computer shopping is Fortune IT, right next to Phra Ram 9 (Rama IX) subway station.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -