Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

5 days in Tokyo, Japan - what must I see?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 13th, 2017, 06:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What must I see while in Tokyo late May for five days?
Old May 13th, 2017, 07:34 PM

Tokyo is a huge city, and there are a million things to do. How can we know what you like to do? Hiking, shopping, museums, temples, electronics shops, theme parks fish markets, hi-tech night clubs, ramen stands, fine dining?

CLICK on <i>Destinations</i> at the top of this screen, then<i> Asia</i>, then <i>Tokyo</i>. After seeing what Fodors considers "must sees" you may have a better idea of what you might consider to be your "must sees".
Old May 14th, 2017, 09:21 AM

Simple question, so a simple answer: you must go to Meiji Shrine, esp. on Sunday or Saturday. You must go to Asakusa. You must go to Tsukiji for an early or late sushi lunch.
Old May 14th, 2017, 09:22 AM

You must go to a Japanese baseball game. You must go to the grand sumo tournament if it is still on when you are there.
Old May 14th, 2017, 09:16 PM

These are the places i recommend: In shinjuku you could go to golden gai, omoide yokocho, shinjuku gyoen, then you could go to shibuya on the same day and check out the famous shibuya crossing and then you can also go to harajuku as it is the next station over from shibuya. Harajuku's takeshita doori is really interesting. Oh and in Harajuku you can visit Meiji jingo shrine. Then on a different day i would go to asakusa shrine and then you can go to the sky tree as it is really close to the asakusa shrine. You might also enjoy Ameyoko in Ueno. If you're in tokyo for 5 days you could also make a day trip to Kamakura which has a lot of beautiful places there too. Like Hokokuji, hachimangu, kotoku-in. They are all in the same area so you can easily take a bus to these places!
Old May 15th, 2017, 07:54 AM

Nothing. You will be in a free country. You have freewill. There is nothing you must see or do.

What you SHOULD do is go to japan-guide.com and look through its immense catalog of information on Tokyo and determine what interests you, then plan accordingly.