5 cities in 10 days

Search

5 cities in 10 days

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30th, 2007, 07:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5 cities in 10 days

i already know everyone is going to say im crazy for even thinking this but let me ask a few questions and see what your responces are.I will be arriving into Delhi at 1:35 pm on Dec 26th from Bhutan. Hopefully on time or close to it.Have to leave for the US on the night of Jan 5th.I will have 10 days to travel as much as i can. I am looking to go to Jaisalmer, Jodhpur,Udaipur,Varinasi and Khajuraho.I know they are far away and i know some will say to either to stay on one side of the country or the other and relax.There are so many places to see in this world and i may not get back to India for a long time.Thats why i am going to see as much as possible in such a short time.So if i HAD to leave a city out to save time , which one would you all suggest. But i would also like someone to tell me that all of this can be done.What is the minimum time i can stay in each city with seeing all the major sights and a little shopping along the way.What cities can or should i either take the overnight or day train, fly or drive between.Ok i asked so please dont yell at me to much for wanting to make the very most of this short time...all of your suggestions are appreciated....
Old Apr 30th, 2007, 07:13 PM

You'll see more if you reduce the number of cities to 3. Otherwise all you will see will be airports and train stations and you'll be exhausted.
Old Apr 30th, 2007, 08:07 PM

Leave out Khajuraho. Consider leaving out Jaislamer as it is quite remote and will entail a long train or drive to AND from. You don’t seem to be spending any time in Delhi, which is a great city with a tremendous amount to see and do, great museums, some really good restaurants and some excellent shopping.

You can fly to Udaipur and Jodphur, which will save you a good deal of time, esp from a place like Varanasi, which I do think you should try to get to, it will be a good contrast from Bhutan and is just one of the most interesitng places in India, IMO.

Also, after Bhutan, I think you might appreciate staying STILL for a while and not driving on roads or sitting on trains (even if most India ones don’t have the curves, wait until you have driven on a few Bhutanese roads....). You might want to just spend a few days in Delhi first with a slightly less hectic pace.

I could spend a week or more in each place you have mentioned and not be bored, so it is really hard for me to say how much “minimum” time you should spend.

You also seem to have left out Agra and the Taj Mahal. If you really believe you will not get back to India “for a long time”, this may be something you will come to regret.
Old May 1st, 2007, 01:50 AM

Jaipur and Agra are musts I think...I agree with Udaipur and Varanasi, though even four is going to be a bit tough. I'd omit Khajuraho. The Taj is breathtakingly gorgeous, but you must see it at dawn, and aso at dusk from the river - a view few people bother about, or even know exists.
Old May 1st, 2007, 05:39 PM
Original Poster

as always thanks for the great advice.i have already been to Agra, Delhi and Jaipur and thats why they were not mentioned.I have just received a itinarary from compass tours. it is as follows... Day 1 arrive in Delhi from Bhutan and catch overnight train to Jaisalmer. Day 2 Jaisalmer.Day 3 Jaisalmer.Day 4 Drive to Jodhpur(how long of a ride?)day 5 Jodhpur.Day 6 Drive to Udaipur(how far?)Day 7 Fly via Delhi to Varinasi.(not sure of the arrival time)Day 8 Varinasi. Day 9 Drive to Khajuraho (how long?)Day 10 Khajuraho an
Old May 1st, 2007, 05:42 PM
Original Poster

Sorry , day 10 Khajuraho with late afternoon flight to Delhi .Should i skip Khajuraho and spent the extra day in Varanasi?
Old May 1st, 2007, 08:19 PM

I'd definitely skip Khajuraho and if I were you I would skip Jodphur and add the time to Udaipur which is a wonderful place. Right not you only have half a day which really doesn't begin to do it justice.
Old May 2nd, 2007, 06:28 PM
Original Poster

Glorialf, thanks for that good advice.I just got a revision on the itinerary.1 1/2 days in Jaisilmer,2 in Jodhpur,3/4th of a day in Udaipur,1 1/2 in Varinasi, and 1 day in Khajuraho.It seems i will have 1 extra day that they didnt include.Which city should i spend that extra day?I just looked at the temples in Khajuraho and they looked great so i would like to keep them in unless i get some more people telling me im crazy.the way they have it is as follows...drive from jaisalmer to jodhpur (6hrs) in am ,pm to explore and overnight,next day is in Jodhpur and overnight, then drive to Udaipur( 6hrs) with pm to explore and overnight. then on to the rest of the trip.do you think this would be better...jaisalmer to jodhpur, pm to explore and overnight.leave in the am for Udaipur and have the pm to explore and overnight. next day in udaipur and overnight. then onto rest of trip?sorry if this sounds confusing .....
Old May 3rd, 2007, 06:39 AM
Original Poster

any comments???