Search

4 days in Bangkok - What are musts?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9th, 2009, 07:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4 days in Bangkok - What are musts?

Hi all,

We're a family of 12 having the intention of including Bangkok in our itinerary, just 4 days, and are wondering what the 'must sees' are for such a short period.

Many thanks in advance
Old Oct 9th, 2009, 10:16 PM

You should definitely go and visit the Grand Palace, Wat PO and across the river Wat Arun. Also the weekend market at Chatuchuk. A ferry trip on the river will show you the life blood of Bangkok. Don't forget of course to sample the vast variety of delicious foods. The spectacular show at Siam Niramit will give you an idea of some Thai culture. Others will suggest additional things for you to do.Good luck!
Old Oct 10th, 2009, 12:53 AM

A family of 12? You are very brave to attempt travel, a trip to the supermarket would be a chore.
Old Oct 10th, 2009, 01:22 AM

Hop the Chao Phraya Express to get around and also as a way to view Bangkok's skyline.

For the younger kids, there are arcades in the Siam Paragon (and I hope the aquarium still) and on the 7th floor of MBK shopping center. Bangkok also offers some of the best cinemas/movie theaters that how the latest western blockbusters too and going to the movies is not expensive for night time entertainment (for the kids too).

Also recommend a visit to Vimanmek Teak Mansion and your ticket for the Grand Palace is good for entrance to VM.
The snake farm for the kids.
I think there's a water park too.
Old Oct 10th, 2009, 02:51 AM

The Grand Palace, Wat Pho, Wat Arun. The kids would love a visit to Wat Prayoon, which is across the river by way of Memorial Bridge. There are ponds with snapping turtles that you can feed. It's a pleasant way to while away 1/2 hour far from the crowds. MBK, a shopping center, might also be amusing.
Old Oct 10th, 2009, 04:15 AM

jim thompson house, v-mek teak palace, all the rides you can do on the river...

you might like to hire a guide for a day like tong and go to the floating market
Old Oct 10th, 2009, 10:50 AM

Load the bus up and take them to Lumphini park, either first thing in the morning or early evening. Watch the locals go through their excercise regime in this central city oasis. A truly unique experience.

Family of 12? Really?...Maybe a trip to a local orphanage? Dont forget the head count before you get back on the bus.
Old Oct 10th, 2009, 11:25 AM

Calypso Cabaret- Ladyboy show- great show, classy for all audiences. Small theater so every seat is good. Its at the Asia Hotel right off the skytrain. A must see!
Old Oct 12th, 2009, 05:51 PM
Original Poster

Hi all,

Thanks a lot for your replies. Well, it's hard for you to believe. We're an extended family and I, as the organizer, have found it to be a huge headache catering for everyone's interest. But it's great fun which is most important. Many thanks again for your replies which I've read with keen interest.

Cheers
Old Oct 12th, 2009, 07:34 PM

Hey scheps,

I have just seen your other posts where you mention that you are an "extended" family. I had visions of a Brady Bunch x 2, hence my shock and disbelief.

You should arrange a day trip with Tong, I think her deluxe mini van will fit you all in, and go and see the Floating and Train Track Market. If you have any people in your group that have interest in WW2 history, then Kachanaburi would be a worthwhile addition to this excursion and the young and young at heart could take a bath with a Elephant in the River Kwai.

We travel with two pre-teens so you may find some interest in my recent trip report.
http://www.fodors.com/community/asia...-of-smiles.cfm
Old Oct 12th, 2009, 10:49 PM
Original Poster

Hi Shane,

I'm really appreciative of your responses. I've only seen positive comments on Tong on other forums.

Cheers
Old Oct 13th, 2009, 04:18 AM

Depending on how old the kids are: another vote for the Floating Market. Yes, its a bit of a hike there but, you can take a nap in the car. And yes, it is very touristy but there's a reason for that. Our kids still rank it very highly and we have some fantastic photos of the market. Have fun, BKK is great.
Old Oct 13th, 2009, 06:52 PM
Original Poster

Well, the kids are 7 and 9 yo. Just thought the Floating Market would be fun.
Old Oct 13th, 2009, 10:31 PM

How about a bike tour we used http://www.absoluteexplorer.com/. We met with the guide at the market on the train tracks, had alook around the market and then jumped on the train for the ride out into the country. We picked up our bikes at the station and headed off into the countryside. The cycling is easy and all on the flat so is suitable for all ages. We stopped along the way at fruit farms, fish farms etc. We had lunch in with a family in one of the villages and were introduced to the head of the village who showed us around and asked me to say a few words to the village meeting that was going on (I speak a reasonable amount of Thai - although judging by the laughter , not as well as I thought!). The village is run on a co-operative basis and its working were explained to us. All in all one of the most enjoyable days we have had in BKK.
Old Oct 13th, 2009, 11:11 PM

This is a group of TWELVE. Surely, everything you think of doing has to be planned like a military operation. An army only moves at the speed of its slowest soldier.

How slow are your soldiers? How old? Are we dealing with a seven to seventy age range? Four days. Gawd, I'd be treating this like a military operation, geared entirely to the kids - 'cos if they go ballistic, the other ten of you will have a crap time anyway.

Perhaps you could color-code them and send them to different places. Do you travel as a twelve-some ALL the time? Amazing. Wow. I can barely get ONE of me on a plane.