Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

3 weeks in Asia- Cheap Flight? Where to go?

Oct 7th, 2004, 01:25 PM
Original Poster

Hi- My husband and I are planning a 3-week holiday over xmas and new years. We would like to hit Thailand, Singapore, Bali, and Vietnam. The cheapest flights I've found thus far have been well over $1,300. Any help on flights or itineraries would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much.
Oct 7th, 2004, 01:33 PM

Where are you flying from/to and does the $1300 include flights between countries?

BTW, 3 weeks is only enough time for two countries - Thailand and Bali would make sense. If your flight from home goes through Singapore, it makes sense to spend a day or two there. I've never been to Viet Nam but you could probably combine Thailand and Viet Nam. You might also consider Cambodia or at least Angkor Wat.
Oct 7th, 2004, 02:22 PM

The cheapest city to fly out of for flights to Asia is San Francisco or Los Angeles. It's sometimes cheaper to get a flight from where you are to SFO or LAX and then fly to Asia out of one of those cities. Cathay Pacific has a good deal on an all Asia pass for $999 that stops in Hong Kong from LA or SFO and Singapore Air you can get out of SFO for around $600-$800 depending on the dates. I'd personally fly Singapore Air over Cathay Pacific but CP sometimes has better deals.
Oct 7th, 2004, 04:43 PM

Yeah...it's cheap to fly to Asia via L.A. or S.F. I live in L.A. area and go there often. However, Christmas time is more expensive. During the non-Christmas time, you can get a rd.trip fare for in the $600.range to Bangkok....from L.A. As for having three weeks. It's
not a problem, at all, to do 3 countries in three weeks. I did it over one Christmas vacation back in the 90s and had plenty of time to accomplish what I wanted to accomplish. I did Singapore, Bali, Chiangmai and Bangkok back then on that solo trip. Happy Travels!
Oct 7th, 2004, 04:47 PM

ok guys - let's hear where the poster is flying from first before going wild with suggestions.
Oct 7th, 2004, 04:57 PM

HOw much u can accomplish prob depends on what your agenda is...if you want to stick to the large cities and towns which are well connected by air all 4 countries is doable. If you plan to go off the beaten track a bit it may be a little tougher. To illustrate - in Vietnam if you want to go to Hanoi and HCMC you will be fine within 1 wk. Adding places like Sapa, Hue, Danang means 2 wks at least in Vietnam, IMO. I would say Singapore, Bali and 1 of the other countries you can cover well - I also second Craig's suggestion re Siem Reap (Angkor Wat) if temples interest you. Then you could do Thailand, Cambodia, Balli, S'pore.
Oct 8th, 2004, 04:15 AM

Red57:
1) Where are you based in the US?
2) Have you been to Asia before?
3) You may want to consider getting an Asia pass from Cathay Pacific or another asian airline. That usually means flying thru their hub (Hong Kong) for cathay pacific
4) Hobbes is right- what are your interests - are you big city, shopping, sightseeing types, or are you looking for the laid back, small town/village, beach experience?
5) Are you the "If its Tuesday this must be Belgium" types or do you want to enjoy each locale without rushing thru to see everything before the next plane leaves?
6) Are 5 star hotels important or can you make do with modest accomodations?
Oct 8th, 2004, 07:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great posts! I live in St. Louis, MO and flight seem to be pretty pricey from here, so I'll probably catch one from LA. Since I'll be traveling over the holidays, the Asis-Pass many mentioned is not available. Never been to Asia... and would like to experience the big city, as well as the laid-back beach experience. Best of both worlds! Modest accomodations are fine- with maybe splurging on one 5 star resort somewhere! Thanks for all your help- I'm pretty overwhelmed.
Oct 8th, 2004, 09:12 AM

Well, you'll get a wide variety of recommendations here. Generally, the cheapest gateway to Asia is to Bangkok. Thailand is a great introduction to Asia as it has good infrastructure, most of the people you'll have contact with will speak English, prices are reasonable and it has a good variety of experiences available.

I'm not a fan of the airpasses, as they encourage people to go to lots of places and therefore, spend most of their vacation in airports.

I'd recommend spening all three weeks in Thailand (with perhaps a side trip to Cambodia to see the temples at Angkor or to Laos to visit Luang Prabang). I'd recommend Bangkok, a trip north to Chaing Mai or the Golden Triangle and a beach location in the south to relax.

My traveling companion has a website with photos of a number of our trips to SE Asia, which may give you some ideas about what you'd like to do www.marlandc.com
Oct 8th, 2004, 09:20 AM

Here are a few more suggestions. Given the geography of SE Asia I would try to limit my trip to these combinations:

Vietnam/Thailand/Cambodia or

Malaysia/Singapore/Bali

Either combo gives you a good mix of big cities and small towns as well as beach options.

Get a good travel agent that can work with you to find out which combo has better deals over the holidays and for the weather patterns as well (weather for this time of year may actually force your hand one way or the other).
Try to fly into one large city and fly back from your last big city (no backtracking).

Big cites will require 2-3 day minimums- for Bangkok/KL/Hanoi/Saigon/Bali (note Bali is not a big city but an island with plenty to do and see).

Oct 10th, 2004, 02:34 AM

malaysian airpass. is one of the best for city/beach combos.
Oct 13th, 2004, 01:18 AM

Just some small things you can consider when planning your trip:

Thailand - Bangkok is a crazy city, definitely worth a visit. Go see the beautiful Grand Palace, visit Patpong the red light district at night and watch a 'tiger show', visit the floating markets, and sit on a tuk-tuk. Be sure to go there during a weekend, so you can shop at Chatuchak (HUGE open air weekend market).

Singapore - Malaysians love taking trips down to Singapore during the Christmas period. The decorations and lights along Orchard Road are very pretty at night.

Bali - Beaches and resorts galore.
Oct 13th, 2004, 07:55 PM

holiday prices are always higher for air and hotels...$1300 is probably not that high...normal from boston and your situation would not be much different would be about $1000....now you can sometimes get a flight for $700 but more usual is in the $1000 range...many airlines offer a combo hotel/air grouping which sometimes works out cheaper....take the minimum # or hotel days and then add on your time and get your own hotel for the other days...