Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

3 week itinerary Japan - fly out of Hiroshima?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28th, 2018, 04:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Japan experts! I’m in the beginning phase of planning our 3 week visit to Japan next March. I was able to book award travel today and we’ll be flying into and out of Narita. I tried booking our return flight out of Osaka so we didn’t have to backtrack but there was no availability. Now I realize we could fly home from Hiroshima- it’s not direct to SF but only a one hour layover in Tokyo. Would you suggest doing this? Or would you return to Tokyo for a few days before flying home? Thanks for any insight!
Old Aug 28th, 2018, 04:29 PM
kja

If you plan to visit Hiroshima, I would think that flying from there could make a great deal of sense -- particularly if the alternative is back-tracking and having a second hotel in Tokyo. But IMO, it really depends on what else you plan to do and see while in Japan....
Old Aug 28th, 2018, 04:58 PM
Original Poster

Ha that’s my problem! I don’t know our itinerary yet. I tend to do things backwards- book flights first, then fill in the blanks. I haven’t had a chance to fully research yet and the award tickets were dwindling ... I’m guessing Tokyo, Hakone, Takayama , Kanazawa, Kyoto and finishing up in/near Hiroshima. I know there are many other places and I’ll look into it of course! Just wondered if this is a reasonable beginning itinerary. I have the chance to change my award tix by tomorrow and I’m mulling it over.
Old Aug 28th, 2018, 05:03 PM
kja

That loop would likely work -- whether it would suit your preferences for climate, events, etc., is another question entirely. But it sounds like you won't have time to take any of those considerations into account....
Old Aug 28th, 2018, 06:23 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your comments kja- I appreciate it! You helped me refine our itinerary in Andalusia last year and our trip was fantastic. I went ahead and changed our flight to return from Hiroshima -it just seemed easier. Now I can relax and start researching. I find this forum so very helpful for advice and ideas.
Old Aug 28th, 2018, 06:31 PM
kja

I'm glad to know that my comments have been helpful!
For Japan, spends lots of time with japan-guide.com
Old Sep 12th, 2018, 11:01 AM
Original Poster

Please help with my almost three week itinerary Japan

Hi! I’m putting together my first iteration of a 19 day trip to Japan in early March 2019. I’ve secured our airfare- flying into Narita and out from Hiroshima. I’d love to hear any comments or suggestion from the Japan experts! I know I’m missing many amazing places but we’re kind of slow travelers and don’t want to make too many stops. Do you think this itinerary will give us a broad cross section of the country for a first time visitor?

Fly into Narita- spend 5 nights with daytrip to Kamakura ( considering staying Shinjuku or Asakusa)

Train to Kanazawa- 3 nights

bus to Takayama-2 nights

train to Kyoto-6 nights with daytrip to Nara

travel to Kurashiki- 1 night

Miyajima-1 night
Hiroshima-1 night

fly home from Hiroshima.

Thanks for for sharing your experiences!
Ellen

Last edited by efarr99; Sep 12th, 2018 at 11:41 AM. Reason: Change forum to Asia
Old Sep 12th, 2018, 12:32 PM

You might want to ask the moderators to move this question to the Aisa Forum - you'll get lots more replies there.
Old Sep 12th, 2018, 01:51 PM
Forum Moderator

your two threads have been merged into one
Old Sep 12th, 2018, 05:18 PM
kja

Sounds like a great trip to me!
Old Sep 19th, 2018, 08:54 AM

It does look like a great itinerary, and I think your timings are pretty good for how much time to give to each place. Depending on the time of your flight home from Hiroshima, I might do 2 nights in Miyajima and take the early ferry back across to Hiroshima, but that completely depends on flight times, of course.

As you know your route, you can already go to Hyperdia.com and work out costs for the bullet trains and see whether you'll benefit from a JR Pass to start on day you leave Tokyo... it covers JR ferry to Miyajima as well.
Old Sep 19th, 2018, 03:36 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the input Kavey! I did decide to spend two nights in Miyajima since our flight out of Hiroshima is not until 2:30pm. I’ve already booked Auberge Watanabe and I’m excited about it. I think I learned of it from one of your posts! 🙌
Old Sep 19th, 2018, 11:10 PM

Wonderful, I hope you enjoy it as much as we did. I wish we'd given 2 nights to Miyajima, we loved it but would have explored more on Mount Misen and spent more time just pootling around the town, had we given it two nights.
Old Sep 23rd, 2018, 04:07 AM

efarr99, when you're there, just let the Auberge Watanabe know the time of your flight from Hiroshima and they will l figure out the schedule: what time they will drive you to the ferry, to catch which train to make which connexion etc. Super helpful staff.
Old Sep 23rd, 2018, 04:23 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Boveney-that’s good to know!