3 full days in Hong Kong

Search

3 full days in Hong Kong

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8th, 2015, 02:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3 full days in Hong Kong

At last the planning is coming to an end! JayTX and I depart on our 2015 adventure this Thursday. We're heading to:
Hong Kong
Siem Reap/Angkor Wat
AMA Waterways cruise down the Mekong from Tonle Sap Lake to HCMC.

Almost everything is nailed down, but we're still trying to decide how we want to spend our time in Hong Kong. We have 3 full (not travel) days.

We're staying on the Kowloon side (at the Intercontinental Grand Stanford Hotel on Mody Rd), so plan to spend one day (possibly Sunday, 3/15) exploring Kowloon. I know there isn't time to do all these things, but we'll choose from:
Stroll along waterfront to see the 2015 Lantern Display on the grounds of the Cultural Center;
watch the light show across the harbor;
poke through the Jade and Flower markets;
walk through the Bird Garden;
visit the Chi Lin Nunnery;
visit the Wong Tai Sin Temple
possibly have brunch at Hutong (we've submitted a reservation request)

Another day we'd like to spend largely going to the Peak (we know we need to time this for a day with good weather). Ride Star Ferry over to Hong Kong Island; also spend time wandering through Central.

My question is about Day 3 -- if it were you, how would you spend a third day and why?
More time in Central?
Go to one of the other islands? Since we're already moving around so much on this trip, I'm not sure I want to take a ferry over to one of the other islands, but I could be persuaded if it's a really great experience.

We generally like history, strolling around, good restaurants/street food, some shopping.

I know that there is never enough time to do everything, and I know it's hard to suggest things to people you don't know, but I am interested in what you would do with one more day in Hong Kong and why....

Thanks for any insight you have!

Cheers,
AnnetteTX
Old Mar 8th, 2015, 03:22 PM

Hong Kong is so full of things to see and do, I'd just play it by ear, depending on what catches your interest on the first two days. I love the parks in Hong Kong, and might suggest a visit to the Hong Kong Park and the Tea Museum on the day you go to the Peak.
Old Mar 8th, 2015, 06:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much, Kathie! The park looks lovely, and since we're both tea drinkers, the tea museum looks like it would be interesting as well...

Cheers,
AnnetteTX
Old Mar 8th, 2015, 07:17 PM

Love Hong Kong so much to see without the shopping! Have a look at the islands and see which one appeals-all offer another insight into HK. Another trip is catch the bus to Stanley on HK island
Old Mar 8th, 2015, 08:59 PM

The day for HK Island can include a bus trip to Stanley easily.

Third day either islands or if you like to see some older villages and such - to the New Territories. Island either to Tai O and Big Buddha on Lantau - which I suggest one way by ferry, the other by MTR; or Cheung Chau, which is the more interesting island than say Lamma.
Old Mar 9th, 2015, 09:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, northie and rkkwan!

Perhaps my sense of timing and distance are off when thinking about Hong Kong. I was assuming that getting from Kowloon to Central to the Peak and wandering around would take the better part of a day. It sounds like you are saying that HK Island (Peak, Central, and Stanley) could all be accomplished in one day?

Cheers
Old Mar 9th, 2015, 11:48 PM

It takes 5 minutes on subway train to get from southern part of Kowloon over to Central. Bus trip from Central to The Peak takes about 40 minutes at worst (Peak Tram takes like 8 minutes not counting the line, which could be long going up). Bus trip from Central to Stanley takes again takes about 40 minutes at most (and you can also switch bus from The Peak to Stanley, without having to go back to Central). Even faster if you take taxi.

Easy to all three with enough time to go back for some rest at hotel at late afternoon, and then venture out elsewhere for dinner and night markets, if desired.

It's a small place. Traffic, though can be bad at times.
Old Mar 10th, 2015, 12:10 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Actually, when we were there, the queue to come down was longer than the queue to go up. [the Peak, that is].

is like us you decide to walk right up to the top, that can take some time but we enjoyed the gardens on the way very much, and the views of course when we got there. the posh restaurant on the other side of the road from the TI [inside the railway carriage - it took us ages to find it!] was surprisingly good too and though it wasn't cheap, the portions were generous.

we never made it to Stanley, but still felt we'd had a good day.
Old Mar 10th, 2015, 03:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
THE source on Fodors for Hong Kong: http://www.fodors.com/community/prof...one/topics.cfm