Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

3 days in Tokyo this May & Feeling Overwhelmed

Old Apr 11th, 2019, 09:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It will be our first trip to Japan this May and although very excited I am also very overwhelmed by the trip planning. So much information out there it is making it very difficult to organize my trip notes. We will have only 4 nights and 3 full days to explore Tokyo and I do realize this is hardly enough time to even scratch the surface. Here is a rough draft;
Day 1 Arrive in the late afternoon from Kyoto via Bullet train and check into our hotel in Marunouchi explore the local streets that eve and grab a bite in a local restaurant nearby. Would love a restaurant recommendation for our first Dinner in Tokyo.

Day 2 We have hired a private English speaking guide for a walking tour for 6 hrs,we hope to also get a tutorial on how to navigate the subway systems. I am leaning towards taking advantage of our English speaking guide to visit Asakusa,Yanazka and the more historical side of Tokyo. I do want to see the Wisteria blooming @ Kameido Tenjin Shrine and I am wondering if it makes sense to include on this day, or is it too far a field to get to.Would also love to see the Azaleas at the Nezu Shrine if that made sense to do this day.

Day 3 We have left open for now with too many notes and choices but our OPTIONS include :a) Meji Shrine Yogi Park, Harajuku and Omotesando stroll, b) exploring the more off the beaten path and quieter neighborhoods of Ebisu , Nakemeguro, Daikanyama, I would also like to see Shimokitazawa c) more Shrines and Historic sites further afield, d) ???

Day 4 We have tickets for the Sumo Wrestling competition ( May 13th). We plan to be there after an early typical Sumo lunch near the stadium.
I have read about Asakusabashi and the artisans and craftspeople who have workshops in this neighborhood is this an area that is easily accessible to see these artisans at work an if so would it make sense to add this to our day in the morning before lunch in Ryogoku???

I dont want to over load any of our days as we prefer slow travel although that sounds like an oxymoron when panning to see some of Tokyo in 3 days!

We love gardens, culture, people watching in funky cities, and of course good food. We dont love huge crowds ( but understand that this is unavoidable at times in Tokyo), and usually prefer a mix of off the beaten path itineraries mixed with the must see sights. I would prefer to be outside more then indoors especially if we have dry spring weather during our visit. We plan to use the indoor museums as back up plan for rainy days. An will absolutely make an indoor exception to see the food courts in the basement of the department stores.

Thanks for your help and taking an interest in my trip !

Happy Trails,
tishkb

Old Apr 11th, 2019, 03:00 PM

I'm hardly the person to give restaurant advice since my trips to Japan were decades ago. But I did reams of research about eating and where to eat, and for my first night, also in May and also staying in Marunouchi, I chose a sukiyaki restaurant, MORITAYA SUKIYAKI GINZA. Not far from our hotel, so not far from yours, either, on 35th Floor of a building across from Tokyo Station. Hotel can book for you.

https://tabelog.com/en/tokyo/A1302/A130201/13006083/
Old Apr 11th, 2019, 04:12 PM

If you explore the Omotesando area, the Nezu Museum there is a gem. It's a relatively small museum with displays that change periodically and can be worthwhile or not depending on your interests. It is really the gardens that are worth seeing, a peaceful oasis in the middle of downtown Tokyo.

The Todoroki Valley in Setagaya might also be someplace you could explore, another surprising contrast in busy Tokyo. You will have a fantastic time visiting whatever you decide on, including attending Sumo (lucky you!).
Old Apr 11th, 2019, 04:17 PM

I do understand feeling overwhelmed about you three days in Tokyo. We had three full days (four nights) in Tokyo on our trip in 2013 and it was hard to decide what to do with that time. We knew there was no real way to see even "just" the major sites in that little time. So we decided to have very limited goals, which worked well for us. We are not fans of the Hop On Hop off buses that run in many cities, but decided to do one loop in Tokyo as it was free (first week it was running) and we thought we would get a good sample of the modern architecture. It worked for that.

Cheryl wanted to do some night photography in Tokyo. She did and got some great photos. We visited the Meiji Shrine, which had a chrysanthemum show in progress. photos at www.marlandc.com

My goal was to experience bit of the "Vibe" of the city, and our time there did that successfully.

Enjoy Japan!
Old Apr 11th, 2019, 06:32 PM
kja

Sounds like you have the right approach to navigating Tokyo!

For your subway tutorial, I trust you've looked at japan-guide.com?
https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2017.html

And if you aren't already familiar with the service, you might consider consider taking advantage of a local “goodwill guide” – The Japanese National Tourism Organization coordinates free volunteer guides – “Goodwill guides” – who are generally knowledgeable and happy to guide you in return for practicing their English – which can be excellent, but it is a bit of a luck-of-the-draw.
http://www.jnto.go.jp/eng/arrange/tr...deservice.html
You pay any entrance fees and his/her meal if your time with the guide includes one. Do NOT tip these guides, or anyone else in Japan.