25th Anniversary Plans

Search

25th Anniversary Plans

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 01:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
25th Anniversary Plans

My husband and I are planning our 25th anniversary. We booked our Thai air award seats JFK-BKK for next June. This is our first trip to Asia and June is the only time we may travel due to work. We have been reading the many posts on Fodors and are asking for your help. Please, what do you think of this itinerary?
*June 18 fly JFK-BKK
*June 19 arrive and stay at Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit for 3 nights.
*June 22 fly to Chiang Mai--Stay 3 nights at Yaang Come Village (touring with a guide)
*June 25 travel with guide (stopping and touring on the way) to Anantara Golden Triangle for two night stay.
*June 27 fly from Chiang Rai to Phuket to stay at the Sarojin for 2 nights to relax. I am wondering about the weather but the hotel looks great.
*June 29 fly to BKK. Stay at JW Marriott overnight
*June 30-fly home to JFK
We know we are doing a lot of traveling but want to get a taste of the culture. We are asking for any suggestions from those of you who have been to these areas.
Thanks in advance

Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 01:49 AM

Since this is your first time visiting Thailand I would like to suggest the following changes:

Bangkok - choose a hotel along the river like the Oriental, Peninsula, Shangri-La(Krungthep Wing) etc. and you'll have a better experience of Bangkok.

Chiang Mai - Yaang Come is nice but I like it for the cooler months like November - February since most of the common area are outdoor.

Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 02:40 AM

Congratulations on 25 years! You will love Thailand I'm sure.

My advise it to eliminate one place.. Khao Lak this time around. 2 or 3 nights in each place is not enough to get a good feel for the place or to relax at all. Considering that relocating takes 1/2 a day, you are left with little time to see or do much of anything. Thailand, and Asia in general, is best seen and experienced more slowly. You need to allow time for things to happen along the way, for some spur of the moment decisions and some down time as well. I really think you'd enjoy your trip much more if it weren't a whirlwind of transit and transfers.

From JFK to BKK is long...you know that. Not having been to Asia before, I can advise you not to underestimate the effect that jet lag may have on you. After 11 years of multiple trips between Asia and the US east coast, jet lag still gets me every single trip. I've gotten better at coping with it, but it still gets me. You should be sure to build some time into your itinerary to allow for the late afternoon sleepiness.

I would agree with Hanuman about the riverside hotels in BKK. We've stayed 3 times at the Peninsula and been very happy there. Last trip we used points to stay at the Conrad, and while it was fine, it just didn't have the river atmosphere. My husband and daughter (now 9) commented that breakfast was not so nice at the Conrad...not because the food wasn't good - the food was fine...but because the dining area was not outside on a terrace next to the river. Next trip we are booked into the Peninsula again.

Yaang Come Village is lovely. We stayed there last December (2005) and had a great time. The public areas are all outdoors, and they are very nice, but if you will want air conditioning for breakfast, you won't find it there. In December, the temperature was cool, so I even wore a fleece at night, but in June it will be hot. That is the only reservation I would have about the place though.

Going to the Anantara for 2 nights might be OK...but you'll get there late in the day on Day 1 due to sightseeing along the way, then leave on Day 3 for Phuket, so you'll only have one day to enjoy the place, and there is much to see and do in the area...much, much more than 1 day's worth. I really think it would be a shame to go all that way to spend only a day...so I say to eliminate Khao Lak.

The beach at the Sarojin and Khoa Lak in general is nice enough. We quite like it coming from Japan where the beaches are not good. But it is not something I would travel around the world for, nor is the Sarojin. More unique and special experiences are to be had away from the beaches IMO.

You might be better to spend the time and money on a real splurge in Chiang Mai or the Golden Triangle. In the Golden Triangle, the Four Seasons Tented Camp is getting great reviews, and the Anantara is nice as well. My daughter and I will spend 5 nights there next August as 1/2 of a 10 day mother-daughter extension to a family trip to Singapore and Cambodia.

In Chiang Mai, for a special place you might look at the Four Seasons as well, or the Rachamanka, or the Chedi. They are all a step up from YCV and offer the luxury that you might be saving up for the Sarojin.
Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 06:35 AM

I would agree that you need to eliminate one destination. Otherwise, you will have spent probably half your time in Thailand in transit. Also, you say you want to get a taste of the culture. The way to do that is to travel less and cut the beach.

I concur with the recommendation to stay along the river in Bangkok - it will make all the difference for you. The Pen gets rave reviews from those who like more modern decor and the Oriental is the grand dame of luxury hotels.

I love the Anantara at the Golden Traingle. I defer to Hanuman and Kim on the issue of the Yaang Come Village, So I'd suggest three nights each in/near Chaing Mai, 3 nights at the Golden Triangle, and add a night in Bangkok on you way out (when you have less jet lag).
Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 09:20 AM

I would agree that you should stay on the river. Also, I would eliminate Phuket and add the time to Bangkok. It's the least unique place and if you want to "relax" you can do it just as easily in one of the great Bangkok hotels which also give you the opportunity to see and do other things part of the time and you can have great meals.
Old Nov 4th, 2006, 01:59 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for all your suggestions. We are looking into choosing a hotel located on the river in Bangkok and eliminating one stop.
If you have any other ideas we would love to hear from you.
Old Nov 4th, 2006, 03:31 AM

I suggest that you skip Chiang Rai and the Anantara. This will allow you to fly Chiang Mai Phuket non-stop. You would eliminate the CM-CR travel as well as one flight (CR to Phuket requires a stop in BKK). This essentially adds an extra day.

In BKK the river is magical. It is wonderful to see the river come alive each morning. If you were using points to stay at the Sheraton on Sukhumvit, you can also use the points to stay at the Royal Orchid Sheraton on the river.

You will have a great trip. Thailand is a perfect place to celebrate an anniversary.
Old Nov 4th, 2006, 05:45 AM

I am another Thailand lover and agree with all the above. Either CM or Golden Triangle, not both. Just too much. I think CM is more interesting than Golden Triangle and you will love Phuket if you do not have the opportunity to go to excellent beaches. I do not know Sarojin, but there are many lovely hotels. We stay at the Meridien. But Bankok is THE PLACE! Much to see, excellent hotels (think you have the idea now that you should stay on the river) and the hotels all have pools and you can relax there. Getting to the airport, getting from the airport, waiting for the flight,etc. all takes much time and often trouble...go less places, see more, relax more, enjoy more. Stay in the nicest places you can afford. You will have a great time!!!!
Old Nov 5th, 2006, 12:57 AM
Original Poster

Sorry to admit but now I am confused--should we skip the Golden Triangle (and just go to Chiang Mai) or should we skip Phuket (and go to both Chiang Mai and Anantara Golden Triangle)? OR I started thinking maybe we should change Phuket to Ko Samui since the weather there may be less rainy in June---suggestions?
THANKS!!
Old Nov 5th, 2006, 08:22 AM

half the people on this list will tell you to skip Phuket and the other half will tell you to skip chiang rai. It's a matter of what kind of things interet you. I personally don't understand going to Thailand to go to a beach because there are so many wonderful beaches much closer to home and the beaches in Thailand don't reflect the country. Therefore, I would tell you to go to Chiang Rai because it gives you a taste of the culture of Thailand and yet you can still stay in luxury and do resorty things if you want. Others on this board will tell you the opposite. In the end, only you can decide which is best to meet your interests. But if you want my opinion, I would definitely skip Phuket. I was there on my first trip to Thailand. I have returned to Thailand 19 times and have never returned. On the other hand, I also went to Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai on that first trip and have returned to Chiang Rai 10 -12 times and to Chiang Rai 7 0r 8 times so you can see where my preference is.
Old Nov 5th, 2006, 08:46 AM

Gloria is spot on. The beaches in Thailand are very nice, but they are mostly tourist oriented and do not really reflect Thai culture. Having said that, we go to a beach every time we go to Thailand. It is very pleasant and relaxing even though we are not really beach people. If you decide to go to a beach, I think Ko Samui has better weather in June. Bangkok Air is the only air carrier to KS, so it would make sense to get a Discovery Pass (this must be purchased outside of Thailand). There's an 800 number. They require pre=-payment, but they are very good about sending the tickets.

Back to your recent question. It's a matter of opinion, but I would do BKK-CM-beach-BKK and skip CR this time. You might end up like the rest of us and travel back to T-land promptly.