Search

2019 Spring Central Japan Trip

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23rd, 2019, 05:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2019 Spring Central Japan Trip

Hello

We, two females, have booked tickets to Singapore-Osaka-Singapore on 10th May 2019 to 26th May 2019.

Our itineraries as follows :

1. 10th-11th May 2019 Osaka (2 nights)
2. 12th-13th May 2019 Tokyo (2 nights)
3. 14th-15th May 2019 Morning Bus to Mount Fuji and Hakone (2 nights)
4. 16th-17th Tokyo (2 nights) Day trip to Ashikaga Flower Park and Tochigo
5. 18th May 2019 (1 night) Takayama
6. 19th May 2019 (1 night) Matsumoto for Alphine
7. 20th-21th 2019 (2 nights) Kanazawa for Shirakawa-Go
8. 22nd-23rd May 2019 Kyoto (2 nights)
9. 25th-26th May 2019 Osaka (2 nights)

We are considering to buy the 7 days JR pass or 5 Days Alphine-Takayama-Matsumoto Area Tourist Pass or 5 days Takayama-Hokuriku Area Pass.

Experts advices/suggestions on better route for the above-mentioned.

Thank you.
Old Mar 23rd, 2019, 07:22 AM

It is busy. Maybe you and I have a different meaning for "Central Japan" as I see 4 nights in central Japan and 8 nights in Tokyo and Osaka and other days elsewhere. Anyway, the middle part of your trip is suffering from the fact that you gave four nights to Osaka.

You have Matsumoto and Takayama in the wrong order, imo. Better to go Tokyo to Matsumoto then the Alpine Route and end up in Toyama, then go up to Takayama from there.
Old Mar 23rd, 2019, 07:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Agree that I don't understand all those nights in Osaka. As soon as you arrive in Japan, head to Tokyo (too late now, but flying into Tokyo and out of Osaka would have made more sense).

The is much faster travel than I would want: too much moving around, not enough time anywhere. How much of Kanazawa are you going to see if you only have two nights and are spending one day at Shirakawa-go? Why are you only giving Kyoto two nights?
Old Mar 23rd, 2019, 07:41 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mrwunrfl
It is busy. Maybe you and I have a different meaning for "Central Japan" as I see 4 nights in central Japan and 8 nights in Tokyo and Osaka and other days elsewhere. Anyway, the middle part of your trip is suffering from the fact that you gave four nights to Osaka.

You have Matsumoto and Takayama in the wrong order, imo. Better to go Tokyo to Matsumoto then the Alpine Route and end up in Toyama, then go up to Takayama from there.
we need to go back Osaka for our flight back. So from Takayama back to Osaka?
Old Mar 23rd, 2019, 07:42 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by thursdaysd
Agree that I don't understand all those nights in Osaka. As soon as you arrive in Japan, head to Tokyo (too late now, but flying into Tokyo and out of Osaka would have made more sense).

The is much faster travel than I would want: too much moving around, not enough time anywhere. How much of Kanazawa are you going to see if you only have two nights and are spending one day at Shirakawa-go? Why are you only giving Kyoto two nights?
any better suggestions on the number of days in each?
Old Mar 23rd, 2019, 07:57 AM

I spent four nights in Kanazawa, one night in Shirakawa-go and two nights each in Matsumoto and Takayama. Aside for Kanazawa, where you could drop a night, I thought I was traveling fairly fast. Kyoto (with a day trip to Nara) needs at least four nights.
Old Mar 23rd, 2019, 08:07 AM
kja

It depends on your interests, but for what it’s worth, I would not have found a single night in Takayama sufficient, nor 2 nights in Kanazawa (I think Takayama & Kanazawa best with at least 5 nights; Shirakawago can fit as a stop of a few hours between them), and certainly not 2 nights in Kyoto (which IMO easily merits 5 full days on a first visit).

Maybe it will work for you, but I would encourage you to plot your trip on a calendar first: identify the things you most want to see in each location (japan-guide.com is an excellent resource), check their opening/closing times, and mark them on a calendar. Then pencil in your transportation, add some time on either side (for getting to/from your lodging, checking in/out, packing/unpacking, getting lost/oriented, etc.). Then see how things fit together.

Good luck!
Old Mar 23rd, 2019, 02:27 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kja
It depends on your interests, but for what it’s worth, I would not have found a single night in Takayama sufficient, nor 2 nights in Kanazawa (I think Takayama & Kanazawa best with at least 5 nights; Shirakawago can fit as a stop of a few hours between them), and certainly not 2 nights in Kyoto (which IMO easily merits 5 full days on a first visit).

Maybe it will work for you, but I would encourage you to plot your trip on a calendar first: identify the things you most want to see in each location (japan-guide.com is an excellent resource), check their opening/closing times, and mark them on a calendar. Then pencil in your transportation, add some time on either side (for getting to/from your lodging, checking in/out, packing/unpacking, getting lost/oriented, etc.). Then see how things fit together.

Good luck!
Japan is my Friend 1st Japan other than her Hokkaido package tour so she wants to go Tokyo
Old Mar 23rd, 2019, 02:30 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kja

Good luck!
my Friend, she is not a mountain trekker nor traveller so we will be mostly doing easy sightseeing in Matsumoto for the castle, Takamaya and Kanazawa.
Old Mar 23rd, 2019, 02:33 PM
Original Poster

we bought Singapore Osaka Singapore ticket at promotion rate
Old Mar 23rd, 2019, 02:37 PM

We bought Singapore Osaka Singapore ticket at promotion rate
Fine, but no reason to STAY in Osaka. You'll be at the airport, take a budget flight on to Tokyo.

we will be mostly doing easy sightseeing in Matsumoto for the castle, Takamaya and Kanazawa.
Me too, I had a bad ankle at the time.
Old Mar 23rd, 2019, 02:55 PM
kja

Originally Posted by mannequin_yeo
my Friend, she is not a mountain trekker nor traveller so we will be mostly doing easy sightseeing in Matsumoto for the castle, Takamaya and Kanazawa.
I'm not sure how that responds to my point -- you are planning what I would consider to be an extremely ambitious itinerary. There is a LOT to see in Takayama and in Kanazawa, things that don't require mountain trekking.
Old Mar 23rd, 2019, 03:31 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kja
I'm not sure how that responds to my point -- you are planning what I would consider to be an extremely ambitious itinerary. There is a LOT to see in Takayama and in Kanazawa, things that don't require mountain trekking.

Thank you. I will relook to add two nights each to Takayama and Kanazawa.
Old Mar 23rd, 2019, 09:52 PM
Original Poster

Revised itineraries as follows :

1. 10th May 2019 Osaka (1 night)
2. 11th-12th May 2019 Tokyo (2 nights)
3. 13th-14th May 2019 Morning Bus to Mount Fuji and Hakone (2 nights)
4. 15th-16th Tokyo (2 nights) Day trip to Ashikaga Flower Park and Tochigo (optional or to be removed)
5. 17th May 2019 (1 night) Matsumoto for Alphine
6. 18th-19th May 2019 (2 nights) Takamaya
7. 20th-21st 2019 (2 nights) Kanazawa for Shirakawa-Go
8. 22nd-24th May 2019 Kyoto (3 nights)
9. 25th-26th May 2019 Osaka (2 nights)
Old Mar 23rd, 2019, 09:55 PM
kja

Again, 3 nights is extremely little for Kyoto / Nara, but maybe you aren't interested in traditional Japan?
Old Mar 24th, 2019, 01:01 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kja
Again, 3 nights is extremely little for Kyoto / Nara, but maybe you aren't interested in traditional Japan?
no idea maybe when we are there, then we will know if we like it or not.
Old Mar 24th, 2019, 05:55 AM

Still don't understand the first night in Osaka. What time does your plane land?
Old Mar 24th, 2019, 08:45 AM
Original Poster

Still don't understand the first night in Osaka. What time does your plane land?
16:10 Kansai Airport

Old Mar 24th, 2019, 09:11 AM

I assume you are flying into and out of Osaka Kansai Airport (KIX).

The trip between KIX and Osaka is about 60 minutes. The trip between KIX and Kyoto is about 80 minutes - it is a straight shot on one limited express train. So, you don't need those last two nights in Osaka.
Old Mar 24th, 2019, 09:32 AM

Ok, you are on SQ 620, I think, with travel time of only 6h 40m. And you only lose one hour in time zone change. You don't have to stop in Osaka the first night. I think I would, tho, maybe at the JR hotel at Shin Osaka.

You could fly from KIX to Tokyo Haneda on ANA for only US $76. There are seats at that price for nonstops at 15:15 and 21:35.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -