Reload this Page >

2 weeks in Laos, Cambodia, & Viet...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27th, 2002, 11:11 AM
Peter1222

Hi,<BR>I used to work in a Lao refugee camp in Nong Khai. Starting in Bangkok and heading toward Ankor Wat and then onto Saigon. From there north to Hue, Hanoi and then over to LP and Vientiane. Finally, over the bridge to Nong Khai. Is a circle trip like this feasible?<BR>Thanks,<BR>Pete

Old Jul 27th, 2002, 04:35 PM
Kathie

If you're trying to do all this overland, you'll never make it in two weeks. It's a full day (12-16 hours) overland just from Bangkok to Siem Reap. Travel within Cambodia, VietNam and Laos is very slow. If you're willing to fly, you can cover more territory, but even then, you're trying to cover a lot of territory in very little time.

Old Jul 28th, 2002, 08:40 AM
Peter1222

Hi Kathie,<BR>Yeah, I know I'm asking alot!<BR>Maybe if I land in Hanoi, travel overland south to Saigon; overland over to SR & PP. And then fly up to Vientiane<BR>& LP. Then out through Nong Khai or fly<BR>Vientiane to Hanoi and out?<BR>I could also skip Vietnam...........?<BR>Thanks,<BR>Pete

Old Jul 28th, 2002, 01:10 PM
Kathie

Pause and consider why you are going to these places. If you just want to check them off on a list, you may be able to cover this much territory in two weeks if you're willing to fly a number of the segments. But you won't have time to experience these places and their cultures. <BR><BR>I spent a week in Siem Reap (and would have loved even more time). General consensus is that you shouldn't spend less that three full days in Siem Reap. With three days, you'll see many of the larger temples, but you'll miss the smaller temples (which may be ok with you). I'm got 5 or 6 days planned in Luang Prebang in December, but I've heard others say that three days is ok there as well. <BR><BR>If I were you, I'd save VN for another trip. Then, choose which places in Laos and Cambodia you really want to visit. Even then, you'll probably need to take a couple of flights.

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 01:19 PM
kirikou

Spent two months going Thailand-Cambodia-Vietnam-Laos-Thailand, and felt we were very short on time. Would definitely do as Kathie suggests and concentrate on Laos/Cambodia. It's possible to go overland from Cambodia into Laos nowadays btw, although regulations change quite fast.

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 08:05 AM
Andrea

I'm a big defender of skim trips in which we have the chance to see many different locations (although I like to alternate them with delve trips in which we explore one area more in-depth).<BR><BR>That said, though, 8 cities in 14 days is an awful lot. I recommend that you cut a few destinations down - starting with Saigon (unless you're intersted in the history of the Vietnam/American War, in which case it's fascinating). <BR><BR>I think it will help if you investigate flight times so you get a feel for when a half-day will be needed for transportation vs. only 2 hours, and then calculate how many days you want in each city.<BR><BR>Good luck!

Old Aug 3rd, 2002, 05:34 AM
Peter1222

Thanks Kirikou & Andrea;<BR>I know your both right. I once went to Asia for a month and spent a year....<BR>"Oh youth...."<BR>Anyway, I'll cut it down to "bite-size"<BR>and go for quality over quanity.<BR>Be well,<BR>Pete