Reload this Page >

2 Week Family Trip to Japan

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9th, 2002, 12:07 PM
Tsutomu Ohno

Just got back from a 2 1/2 week trip to Japan with my family of four (13 and 10 year old), my sisters and their families, my step-mother and my wife's motther. It was very a great time by all.<BR><BR>We arrived in Narita on a Sunday around 4 PM and settled in Ryokan Shigetsu in Asakusa around 7 PM. A great place to stay. So modernly elegant, and such a great location in Asakusa. My kids and cousins especially loved being able to go out on by themselves to all the shops in the area. Asakusa subway station in only a few minute walk away. The staff at Shigetsu is very friendly. <BR><BR>We explored Tokyo for 3 days. Imperial Palace on Monday, Sumida River Cruise and Hama Rikyu Garden and Shinjuku on Tuesday, Fish Market and Shibuya on Wednesday. Since we were a large group, we tended to break up in the afternoons so we could do what ever individuals wanted to do. It worked out well.<BR><BR>On Thursday, we took the Shinkansen down to Kyoto and explored around the central part of Kyoto (as well as laundry!). We went to the Heian Shrine and Ginkakuji on Friday. A river boat to watch fishing by birds was fun as well.<BR><BR>Saturday we went to Miyajima and stayed at the Kikugawa Guesthouse. Wonderful place to stay and fantastic Japanese-French fusion dinner. The owners are very friendly and I'm looking forward to visiting them again. The kids really enjoyed swiming on the beaches on the island that is easy to get to by taxi.<BR><BR>Sunday we went to Shikoku to visit with family in a mountain resort. It was fun to be in the mountains of Japan - so beautiful with running water and rich green trees.<BR><BR>Monday was a travel day to Takayama from Niihama and took most of the day. But the train from Nagoya to Takayama is so beautiful and Takayama is a very nice city. We explored Takayama on Tuesday visiting the Hida Village and exploring the morning market. We trained back to Nagoya for an overnight.<BR><BR>Wednesday we went back to Karasuyama by train (Nagoya to Tokyo to Utsunomiya to Karasuyama) to be picked up by family and we stayed at a wonderful Hot Springs Onsen in Bato-machi where my father was born. It was a thrill to see the farmhouse and family cemetary again. We also went to see my mothers farmhouse in Kobune which was a 20 minute trip by car. The roads are so much improved in rural Japan as compared to 20 and 30 years ago. After the 2 days in rural Japan, we went back to Asakusa by catching the direct Tobu line train from Utsunomiya and got back to the Ryokan Shigetsu for a final 2 days in Tokyo. We did our souviner shopping. Asakusa has so many shops at all levels from the tacky to the exquisitely elegant (and price to match). Just a great place to base oneself while in Tokyo. A trip to Shinjuku to find a Japan World Cup Soccer Team jersey rounded out the hunt for things to buy.<BR><BR>It was a great trip. It was hot and humid the entire two weeks, we must of bought 300~400 water bottles from vending machines during the visit. cold water tasted so good while touring around. Can't wait to go back!<BR>

Old Aug 9th, 2002, 11:05 PM
Florence

Bonjour Tsutomu,<BR><BR>Thank you for this wonderful report. <BR><BR>I'm planning a trip (3 - 4 weeks) next October and I've decided to spend at least one week in Shikoku. I'm interested mostly in crafts and architecture, and I'd love to have more details on the place you've been staying there, or any information about those aspects of Shikoku (I'm fairly used to travelling in Japan, so I can take care of the logistic part of travel myself).

Old Aug 10th, 2002, 04:53 AM
Tsutomu Ohno

Bonjour Florence,<BR><BR>I may not be of much help to you about Shikoku. The cousin of my step-mother picked us up at the JR ferry port at Hiroshima where we had come from Miyajima in micro-bus since we were a group of 12 and took us to a resort area somewhere near Niihama. The micro-bus he had rented was a great way to travel. Could hold close to 25 people (or 12 + our luggage!) and had great views out of almost micro-bus since it had almost all windows all around the vehicle. <BR><BR>I love the mountains in Japan -- seems so peacefull and serene. Good luck in finding more information about Shikoku than I can provide.<BR><BR>Our family is going to Paris and nearby France during April break for the kids next spring. It is a tour organized by my 13-year old's French teacher in middle schoo. We are looking forward to the trip! Thanks.

Old Aug 15th, 2002, 08:07 AM
liz

Dear Florence and Tsutomu,<BR>I am the woman who wrote on the Fodor's message board about my husband's company suddenly canceling their tour for us of Japan. Their headquarters are in Yokohama, and originally we were to have been put up at the Prince (price is overwhelming for our family budget). <BR>I am finding myself overwhelmed, mostly because of our impending itinerary, it begins on Saturday morning (the 17th of August in just two days) and we will be in Maui for a week prior to our arrival in Japan. <BR>It is the Japan trip that has me confused, so I thought perhaps with your vast knowledge you would help me out with figuring the places to stay at.<BR>We have decided, since we are spending a lot of money to get to Japan and back and we had a 6 day block of time reserved just for Japan, that we would broaden our travel to three cities, and are considering Tokyo-a given, Kyoto for two days and then Osaka for two days and depart from Osaka on our six and final day (which requires a change in our ticketing anyways).<BR>Given this new information, and the price of only $200. US per night, for the three of us, what do you suggest for us?<BR>Are you a travel agent? We live in a small harbor near Seattle, WA USA and we don't have any idea about how to get a reservation. <BR>I would be most appreciative for your suggestions and if you have a booking agent, or are one yourself we would be most grateful to make our arrangements through you.<BR>Tsutomu, your vacation sounds perfectly arranged, can you offer a suggestion, I tried to arrange a reservation at the place you mentioned in Tokyo, the ryokan, also recommended by Florence to us, however their email failed to get through, and seems their website isn't cooperating either. Anyone have a suggestion on that, because it sounds perfect for our 13 year old son too. <BR>Many thanks for your help.<BR>Liz<BR><BR>

Old Aug 15th, 2002, 08:36 AM
liz

Dear Florence and Tsutomu,<BR>I am the woman who wrote on the Fodor's message board about my husband's company suddenly canceling their tour for us of Japan. Their headquarters are in Yokohama, and originally we were to have been put up at the Prince (price is overwhelming for our family budget). <BR>I am finding myself overwhelmed, mostly because of our impending itinerary, it begins on Saturday morning (the 17th of August in just two days) and we will be in Maui for a week prior to our arrival in Japan. <BR>It is the Japan trip that has me confused, so I thought perhaps with your vast knowledge you would help me out with figuring the places to stay at.<BR>We have decided, since we are spending a lot of money to get to Japan and back and we had a 6 day block of time reserved just for Japan, that we would broaden our travel to three cities, and are considering Tokyo-a given, Kyoto for two days and then Osaka for two days and depart from Osaka on our six and final day (which requires a change in our ticketing anyways).<BR>Given this new information, and the price of only $200. US per night, for the three of us, what do you suggest for us?<BR>Are you a travel agent? We live in a small harbor near Seattle, WA USA and we don't have any idea about how to get a reservation. <BR>I would be most appreciative for your suggestions and if you have a booking agent, or are one yourself we would be most grateful to make our arrangements through you.<BR>Tsutomu, your vacation sounds perfectly arranged, can you offer a suggestion, I tried to arrange a reservation at the place you mentioned in Tokyo, the ryokan, also recommended by Florence to us, however their email failed to get through, and seems their website isn't cooperating either. Anyone have a suggestion on that, because it sounds perfect for our 13 year old son too. <BR>Many thanks for your help.<BR>Liz<BR><BR>

Old Aug 15th, 2002, 11:25 AM
Florence

Liz,<BR><BR>I'm not a travel agent, I'm just trying to help people cope the way I do when I'm in Japan. I've sometimes arrived without a reservation and you can count on the TIC at the airport to help you in a pinch. Try to secure a room for the first 1-2 nights in Tokyo, and have the TIC at the airport find a place for you for the rest. They will handle reservations free of charge. <BR><BR>Don't bother to find a hotel in Osaka. Stay in Kyoto, and go to Osaka/Kansai airport directly from there, since it's only 1 1/2 hours by direct train. Kyoto is much easier and fist time tourist friendlier than Osaka.<BR><BR>Have you tried Katsutaro in Tokyo too ? Otherwise, try Hotel New Koyo http://www.newkoyo.jp/ or Taito ryokan http://www.libertyhouse.gr.jp/. Both are inexpensive and well located. I haven't stayed there but some people on this board have praised them both.<BR><BR>Good luck and let me know if I can help further (I use my real email in case you want to contact me directly)<BR><BR>

Old Aug 15th, 2002, 12:34 PM
ed

I wouldn't stay at the New Koyo.<BR>You can select from a number of reasonably priced hotels here, and the confirmation is immediate. I've used them many times with no problems.<BR><BR>http://www.knt.co.jp/kokusai/quick.htm

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 09:12 AM
Tsutomu Ohno

Liz,<BR><BR>Maybe a little late for you (been trying to catch up on work that piled up while I was enjoying Japan so much!), but suprised to hear you had problems reserving at Shigetsu. I was able to do it very smoothly via email.<BR><BR>Although I made all the reservations ahead of time, I get the impression that you can make them on the fly while you are in Japan. During my morning runs in the all places we went, I was always suprised by the number of small ryokans there were. Hope you are enjoying your visit!