18 day trip

Jul 31st, 2008, 08:48 AM
Original Poster

18 day trip

I am planning to got to China in late Oct.-early Nov. I am a female, traveling solo, flying into Shanghai. I would like to spend some time in Beijing and perhaps visit another province, since I don't want to spend all my time in large urban areas. I like mountains & enjoy cultures & food of course. Not one to see lots of temples & tourist sights.
Any ideas? I am on a tight budget.
Jul 31st, 2008, 08:58 AM

Shanghai, Beijing, Guilin/Yangshou and Yunan Province.

Nywoman -- Could you post your China portion of your itinerary for her? Thanks.
Aug 6th, 2008, 10:52 PM
morgen

Hi, How about a somewhat beaten off route?
Hongkong-Guilin-Sanjiang-Guizhou-Kunming-Dali-Lijiang-Zhongdian-Beijing
Day 1

Place & Transport: Hong Kong to Guilin, Flight No. TBA
Today's Activities: Airport to Hotel Transfer (Guilin)
Day 2

Place & Transport: Guilin to Yangshuo to Guilin
Today's Activities: Li River Cruise
Meals: Breakfast, Chinese Lunch

- Li River Cruise: A cruise along the Li River between Guilin and Yangshuo is an unforgettable experience. As you take in the stunning scenery there's something interesting to see at almost every bend in the river. Between spectacular limestone peaks you'll see graceful bamboo groves, farmers tending rice paddies, and lumbering water buffaloes pulling carts or cooling off in the river. You may see fishermen gliding along on their narrow bamboo rafts, and if you're very lucky you might see one of the famous fishing cormorants. Boats depart from various wharves, according to the height of the river at different times of the year.
Day 3

Place & Transport: Guilin to Longsheng to Sanjiang
Today's Activities: Zhuang and Yao Ethnic Tribes Longsheng Terraced Field in Longji area

- Zhuang and Yao Ethnic Tribes Longsheng Terraced Field in Longji area: The terraces look like great chains or ribbons as they wind from the foot to the top of the hill. They were built from the Yuan dynasty to the beginning of Qing dynasty by the minority peoples of the area. A 40 minute walk up the stone covered paths and steps reveal the Dragon's Backbone, which is called "The champion of the terrace world". Visit Zhuang village and Yao minority villages, and Ping'an village, the architecture is unique as no nails are used in construction. The different minority customs and local people's dressing style are specially delicate and beautiful.
Day 4

Place & Transport: Sanjiang to Zhaoxing
Today's Activities: Tang'an Dong Village, Diping Shelter Bridge, Dong People's Village in Zhaoxing

- Tang'an Dong Village : The country road stretches to the village, which is located on a mountainside and is surrounded by paddy field and lush greens. There are about 800 people and 160 households in the village. The village has a long history, though it hasnít got any written records of its history. There are village gate, drum tower, drama tower, ancient graveyard, ancient well, and water-powered roller for grinding grain, barns and the pit to worship the female ancestors of Dong people. There are also ancient stone paths and wood houses in the village. All of these make it a perfect place for people to return to nature.
- Diping Shelter Bridge: It is the oldest shelter bridge in Guizhou Province. Constructed in 1883, the bridge is 57 meters long built of firs. There is even not a sketch of the bridge's construction. Following the traditional architecture technique of Dong Minority,the entire bridge is made of wood with all mortise and tendon joints, without any iron nails.
- Dong People's Village in Zhaoxing: It is the largest and oldest Dong village in China and the world. There are five Drum Towers, Wind & Rain Bridges and traditional stages in the village.
Day 5

Place & Transport: Zhaoxing to Congjiang to Rongjiang
Today's Activities: Yingtan Dong village, Zengchong Drum Tower, Basha Miao Village,

- Yingtan Dong village: It is located on the top of the mountain with a brook winding through.Green trees surround the village, lots of precious yew trees can be found here. They are also known for their architecture, particularly their drum towers, and wind and rain bridges, which just like pavilions for sheltering people during bad weather.
- Zengchong Drum Tower: Standing in Zengchong Village, 82 Kilometres northwest of Congjiang, Zengchong Drum Tower is the largest and oldest drum tower in Guizhou and also a major cultural relic under state protection.
- Basha Miao Village: Only 5 kilometers away from Congjiang and with a highway running right across。Basha is a very special and old Miao Ethnic village. The villagers still practice their unique traditions dating to Qing Dynasty ( about 2200 years ago. Basha village is very little touched by violent modernization. Residents there still live in their wooden houses, practicing centuries-long custom and have their own unique belief.
Day 6

Place & Transport: Rongjiang to KaiLi
Today's Activities: Langde Miao village, Datang short-skirt Miao village, Mt. Thunder God

- Langde Miao village: The villagers in Langde wear long skirts, hence they are "Long Skirt Miao". The Miao style houses "Diaojiaolou" and its featured and creative festivals will cause you spell bound.Around 500 villagers in ten families, the Langde Miao Village is considered small. Members of the Miao Ethnic Minority, they adopt common habits and customes. Entering the village, visitors would find themselves literarily immersed in works of art.
- Datang short-skirt Miao village: The village situated at the foot of Leigong Mountain. You will be greeted by its friendly villagers and drink the block way wines before entering the village. Its silver ornaments will leave you a deep impression.
- Mt. Thunder God: Located 15 kilometers (nine miles) east of Kaili,It is the highest peak in the mountain ranges of Qiandongnan (southeast Guizhou Province), so Mt.Thunder God is rumored as the place where the God of Thunder lives.
Day 7

Place & Transport: KaiLi to Guiyang to Kunming, Flight No. TBA
Today's Activities: Airport Transfer (Guiyang), Airport to Hotel Transfer (Kunming), Hotel to airport Transfer (KaiLi), Kaili Ethnic Minorities Museum, Qingyan Ancient Town

- Kaili Ethnic Minorities Museum: In the museum there has a quite detailed introduction to human culture, geography, and the national minorities'customs of the southeastern areas of Guizhou Province. Some writing, pictures, and material objects are displayed here. Minority Customs hall and Dragon Boat hall are the main exhibits which are worth watching.
- Qingyan Ancient Town: Established as a town in 1738 in the Ming Dyanasty, it is 29 kilometres from Guiyang.As the historic and cultural town in the province, there are 9 temples,2 shrines, one palace and other well preserved ancient constructions, which shows the excellent skills of ancient architecture.It was designated as a national cultural relic in 1995.

Day 8

Place & Transport: Kunming
Today's Activities: The Stone Forest, Sani Minority Villages

- The Stone Forest: A fantastic natural phenomena located 90 km southeast of Kunming. The various shapes of karst landscape was formed due to the millions years movement of Earth. The Stone Forest area is the home of the Sani people, their folk customs has become one spectacular scene, the colorful embroidery and minority dances combine with the natural sceneries, which will surely leave you a deep impression.
- Sani Minority Villages: Around the world renowned Stone Forest clusters many small Yi ethnic villages which are collectively known as Sanni Villages. These ancient ideologically isolated villages are famous for their mystical ancient traditions and beliefs.
Day 9

Place & Transport: Kunming to Dali, Flight No. TBA
Today's Activities: Hotel to airport Transfer (Kunming), Airport to Hotel Transfer (Dali), The Butterfly Spring, Houses of Bai People in Xizhou, The Ancient City of Dali

- The Butterfly Spring: The Butterfly Spring lies in the green trees at the foot of Yunnong Peak of Cangshan Mountain. The Spring is 24 kilometers away from the Ancient City of Dali.In spring when the trees put forth fragrant flowers, thousands of butterflies flutter among the branches and over the spring water forming a dazzling "Kingdom of Butterflies". The three wonders of the spring arepring, butterfly and trees.
- Houses of Bai People in Xizhou: the Houses of Bai people in Xizhou is located in the Xizhou Town which is 16 kilometers away from the Ancient City of Dali.Xizhou is not only a famous historic city, but also a typical commercial town of Bai people. It is one of the cradles of National capitalism of Bai people, and a famous hometown to overseas Chinese in Yunnan. So, you have to understand Xizhou first if you really want to understand Dali and Bai people.
Where Bai minority people live. You will see their typical traditions, dresses there.The most famous thing about Xizhou are well preserved ancient buildings of Bai Minority.On the outside walls of each house, there are numerous exquisite paintings showing the art atmosphere.
- The Ancient City of Dali: the Ancient City of Dali is 13 kilometers away from Xiaguan, Dali city, and is located at the foot of Cangshan Mountain.
The Ancient City of Dali was built in the year Hongwu 15 of Ming Dynasty (1382AD). It ranks in the first list of Famous Historic and Cultural Cities of China. In the Ancient City run clear springs, and live simple and unsophisticated local Bai people. Whether rich or poor, local people are used to planting trees and growing flowers in the yard. So there is a saying in the Ancient City of Dali: ďthere runs a spring in every family and grow flowers in every yard.Ēit is a famous historic city.The local people have a habit of growing flowers in their gardens,with the clear streams of water,finely decorated the traditonal houses,a city well worth visiting.
Day 10

Place & Transport: Dali to Lijiang
Today's Activities: The Ancient City, The Black Dragon Pool

- The Ancient City: The town was built in the late song dynasty and the early Yuan dynasty and was listed on the UNESCO's list of the world's major cultural heritages in 1997.
- The Black Dragon Pool: The park holds the Black Dragon Pool and got name because of it. The pool is listed in the Collections of Famous Pools of China because of its beauty.
Day 11

Place & Transport: Lijiang
Today's Activities: Yak Meadow, The Mural in Baisha Village, The Yufengsi Lamasery/The Jade Summit Lamasery

- Yak Meadow: One of the part of Jade Dragon Snow Mountain, living the Yi and Zang Minorities. It's a typical meadow scenery,a holy land for sightseeing and relaxation. On the way to the Yak Meadow, we pass the Baishui River, where you can have a distant view of the river. There are many scenic spots on the meadow, such as the Snowy Valley, the special Yak Glacier, the colorful Meadow and primitive Pine Tree Forest. All of them set off the magnificent Jade Dragon Mountain, constructing a wonderful view.
- The Mural in Baisha Village: Baisha village is about 16 kilometers north of Lijiang City. It is the important birthplace of "Tusi" (the Chinese word means chieftain of a clan) from Mu clan. Its characteristic artistic style and precious historic content of the mural deeply attracted visitors from home and abroad.
- The Yufengsi Lamasery/The Jade Summit Lamasery: Built in the Qing Dynasty and famous for camellias in the temple. Being the traditional Sihe Yard layout, consisting of the gate building, the main palace and two stone tigers, it represents the architecture style of Qing Dynasty. There are many dragon relieve and exquisite Buddhist paintings in the main palace.
Day 12

Place & Transport: Lijiang to Kunming to Beijing, Flight No. TBA, connect Flight No. TBA
Today's Activities: Hotel to airport Transfer (Lijiang), Airport to Hotel Transfer (Beijing)
Meals: Breakfast
Day 13

Place & Transport: Beijing
Today's Activities: Sacred Way (Ming Tombs), Great Wall, Mutianyu, Mutianyu Cable Car(round trip)
Meals: Breakfast, Chinese Lunch, Chinese Dinner

- Sacred Way (Ming Tombs): An attractive tree-lined walk which leads to the Ming Tombs, this is bordered by 12 sets each of animal and human statues, and includes the attractive Great Red Gate, housing a stele on the back of a tortoise, and marble memorial archway.
- Great Wall, Mutianyu: This less-crowded section of the Great Wall is a pleasant drive 90km NE of Beijing. A cable car takes you to a good section (avoiding a very steep climb), where you can walk along the wall, through the watch towers and enjoy superb views as it snakes across the hills and mountains. You can return by cable car, walk down or walk along the wall for about an hour to descend by chairlift. Wear good walking shoes and protection from the weather.
- Mutianyu Cable Car(round trip): It is a challenging climb up to the Mutianyu Great Wall for it is much steeper than Badaling section. Here you have the option of taking the Cable car to the highest point or down to the foot in a few minutes instead of climbing more than 1,400 steps, while you can also have a bird view of the wall.
Day 14

Place & Transport: Beijing
Today's Activities: The Forbidden City, The Tian'anmen Square, Temple of Heaven

- The Forbidden City: The Imperial Palace, home to 24 Emperors between 1420 and 1911. Great squares, halls and gates contrast with the intricate networks of side halls, gardens, courtyards and quarters for those who lived in this 'city within a city'. The exhibitions, both permanent and temporary, are also absolutely fascinating. Expect to spend at least 2-3 hours, wear good walking shoes and protection from the weather.
- The Tian'anmen Square: The world's largest city square and enduring symbol of China's national pride, surrounded by many imposing buildings including the Heavenly Gate (entry to the Forbidden City), Museums, government buildings and Chairman Mao's Mausoleum.
- Temple of Heaven: One of the most famous sites in Beijing, this is Ming architecture at its best: beautiful, controlled, and highly symbolic. The surrounding gardens are full of interesting activity, particularly weekend mornings. Wear good walking shoes and protection from the weather.
Day 15
Place & Transport: Depart Beijing
Meals: Breakfast

Some days could be added in Zhongdian. It is very culture and less crowded.

Aug 7th, 2008, 09:17 AM

morgen- haven't you been warned before about advertising on this site?????
Aug 7th, 2008, 09:50 AM

I'm actually pleased with Morgen's post. It has given me lots of ideas. Lots of suggestions have been made, and there's no travel company or 'book-with-me' associated with the post.
Aug 7th, 2008, 02:57 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for answering my post, I got some good ideas, but a bit too much to do in the time-frame I have. I am also looking for real "budget" options.
Aug 7th, 2008, 03:28 PM

You need to decide where you want to go first, then we can suggest budget ways to travel and lodge. Is your flight to Shanghai 1-way or roundtrip?
Aug 7th, 2008, 05:24 PM
morgen

Hi, Please do not doubt the reply itself and me, Morgen. There is no Ads in my post. I just want to give nice advice for my friends from over the world. Why not keep it? I am happy to offer better idea to your visitors. I will keep posting nice posts in your forum, welcome?

Aug 8th, 2008, 08:10 PM
Original Poster

I am flying in & out of Shanghai. I am really being cautious about trying to do too much. I am considering a 4 day side trip to Huangshan from Shanghai. Just not certain the best routing for all this. (Shanghai-Huangshan-Beijing than back to Shanghai)
Aug 10th, 2008, 10:01 PM
morgen

Hi, Lollylo25,
Your sideway plan is good, but check it out that sometimes there is no flight from Huangshan to Beijing.
Morgen