15 Days in China in May- Help with Itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24th, 2008, 02:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In two weeks, I'll be traveling solo to China for the first time on vacation. I'm an experienced female traveler and will be visiting friends in Beijing for up to a week. I'd like to see many of the cultural/historical sights in the Beijing area and then see a few other cities. I've very athletic and I'm looking forward to some hiking and cycling as well. I think after spending a week in Beijing and then a few days in Xian, I'll be ready to relax in Guilan/Yangshou before seeing the Shanghai area. Does anyone think I'm spending too much time in Beijing? I'm not sure if I should fly out of Xian in the evening to Guilan, and spend only one night in Guilan and then three nights in Yangshou. Any hotel recommendations in Shanghai for moderate four star hotels? Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Here's my idea for an itinerary:

May 9 - Arrive Beijing 9:00 PM
May 10 - Beijing, Forbidden City, Tiananmen
May 11 - Beijing, Great Wall, Hike Simatai
May 12 - Beijing, Summer Palace, Temple of Heaven
May 13 - Beijing, Lama Temple, Ben Hai Park, Shopping
May 14 - Beijing, Hutong, Wangfujing shopping
May 15 - Beijing, Ming-Quing Tombs
May 16 - Fly to Xian, Xian Museum
May 17 - Xian, Terracotta Warriors
May 18 - Fly to Guilin, Night Market/Shopping
May 19 - Guilin, Reed Flute Cave, Fubo Hill, Solitary Beauty Peak
May 20 - Taxi to Yangshou, Li River Tour (Xingping - Yangdi)
May 21 - Yangshou, bike to Moon Hill, Impression Li Sanji
May 22 Fly to Shanghai, Bund
May 23 - Shanghai - Yuyuan Garden, Old Towne, Jade Buddha
May 24 - Train, day trip to Suzhow, Tiger Hill, Lingering Gin, Silk Research Ctr.
May 25 - Fly Home
Old Apr 24th, 2008, 07:09 PM

I might take a day from Beijing and add to Shanghai so you will have time to explore the French Concession and visit the Shanghai Musuem. I did a lot of reading and eventually opted to skip the Ming Tombs in Beijing; if you did the same it would allow another night elsewhere.

Would you consider the overnight train to Xian?

What price range in Shanghai? Do you want a spiffy modern hotel or one with lots of character?

Also, Not sure of your departure point.if it is the US, do you think you can overcome the jet lag enough to have such a busy first two days? Please get to the FC early! When they open, to avoid the hordes.
Old Apr 24th, 2008, 07:11 PM

...also, if you like shopping, you should include the "dirt market" in Beiijing, which is held on the weekends and truly ranks among the world-class shopping venues..
Old Apr 25th, 2008, 03:59 AM

I would cut down one day in Beijing and skip the Ming tombs and add on the Muslem quarter and walk/bike on the city wall in Xi'an. Also, there are interesting Bell and Drum towers in Xi'an that are within walking distance of the Muslem quarter and the City wall and unless you visit the drum tower when you visit Ben Hai Park in Beijing, that's your chance to see that. We had two full days in Xi'an and did the Terracotta Warriors one day and then the Muslem quarter, Drum and Bell towers and then the City Wall the second day.

When we went to Yangshuo (we skipped Guilin by having a driver picku us up at the airport) we did a long bike ride to the Dragon Bridge and then got a bamboo raft trip about halfway back. That raft trip was much nicer then the one we had done the previous day on the Li River. Since it looks like you enjoy shopping, I wouldn't pass up West Street in Yangshuo where you can people watch and do a little shopping for whatever you didn't get in Beijing. The Dragon Bridge is actually under construction so you can't walk on it but it's picturesque and the very rural villages we rode through to get to it were indescribably cool.

At the hostel we stayed at in Yangshuo it was interesting comparing notes about the different day trips people had done. One guy loved the bike ride to Moon hill and spent a couple of hours just hanging out there. Two other women thought that it was just a "hole in a hill" and not worth visiting. All of us loved the Dragon Bridge ride.

Old Apr 25th, 2008, 04:26 AM

May 10 Weekend Market at Panjiayuan,Tian`anmen Square,Forbidden City,Beihai Park(Since it is very close to Forbidden City).
May 11 Great Wall hike from Jinshanlin to Simatai.
Day 12 Summer Palce,Lama Temple ,Hutong and Shopping
Day 13 Temple of Heaven (morning is better).shopping ,Wangfujing
Day 14,i think what you said is Qing Tombs,it is not Quing.Ming Tombs and Qing tombs at difference directions,if you want to go to Ming Tombs,you can go to Tanzhe Temple and Jietai Temple together.
Day 15 Walk around the city and some local shopping area.
Old Apr 25th, 2008, 01:29 PM

I thought Violet's revised itinerary is good. Taking out a day from Beijing and adding to Shanghai is a good idea. Hitting 'Pan Jia Yuan' Dirt Market in Beijing is a must, (but be warned many things aren't old and are only resurfaced, sprayed, etc to appear old. Also be careful when you are touching any of the 'green' coloured items in the market - it's a highly deadly chemical used to distress and accelerate the aging process but it's cause severe blood poisoning.) What else, I believe it's the Simitai end of the Great Wall(k) that has a hang-rope over a nice little lake... do it. It's fun... When in Shanghai don't be afraid to eat breakfast from a street vendor, the crepe with egg and spicy sauces are delicious. Also, for a fast nighttime snack don't be afraid to get make a street soup. AND anytime you're in China, and you see fresh noodles being made for gods sake stop and try a bowl - they are one of China's best kept secrets for less than .50. Zai Jian!
Old Apr 25th, 2008, 06:45 PM

I think Meytoh is referring to the zip line at the end of your Great Wall hike. I really, really wanted to do the hike from Simitai just to do the zip line but ended up exhausted and happy at Mutianyu and loved the toboggan ending.
Old Apr 26th, 2008, 07:33 AM

aquawink,

A couple of thoughts from a jet-lagged traveler just back from all of these places:

1) I agree that a day from Beijing added to Shanghai makes sense. I loved Shanghai shopping in the "Art Area" of the French Concession and the Museum and Remnin Square (Peoples Park) were great. Also consider taking the Metro across the River for views of the Bund from the Pudong side. The new Superbrands mall is there, and it's fabulous if you like glitz and shopping.

2) I second ek's suggestion to go to the Dirt Market. You will be in Beijing on the weekend -- go to the Dirt Market on Sunday and save the Great Wall for Monday morning. That's what we did, and it was a lot less crowded on Monday morning than it would have been on Sunday.

3) Wangfujing is beginning to resemble 5th Avenue in NYC -- all high end stores. If you really like that kind of shopping, go there. If not, you'll enjoy the Dirt Market, Pearl and Silk Markets much more.

3) After Beijing shopping, the night market in Guilin will offer sticker shock -- more expensive and not nearly as much fun. There are bargains among the stalls in and around West Street in Yangshuo, however, so I would agree that's worth doing.

4) I did both the Li River Raft Trip (Xingping to Yangdi) and the Yulong/Dragon Bridge Trip, and enjoyed them both. I would agree that the Yulong/Dragon Bridge Trip was more enjoyable -- a guy poles your raft down the river and over a number of small cataracts while the most gorgeous scenery unfolds before your eyes. Then you end up in the middle of nowhere -- farmers out planting rice with water buffalo "up close and personal." Even my DH, who wasn't that enthusiastic about going to China, enjoyed the day and thought the walk through the rice fields was great. On the other hand, the Li trip from Xingping to Yangdi takes in most of the famous Karst scenery. It's much better to take the bamboo boat than to ride on the tourist rip-off big boats from Guilin.

We skipped Guilin on the way down (straight from the airport to Yangshuo); stayed at the Li River Retreat, which we loved, and then after the Longji Rice Terraces, spent a night in Guilin before leaving for HK and our return home.

5) You have enough time in Xian (not sure what time your flight arrives, but you can do the Muslim Quarter and maybe the Wall the night you arrive, and you don't need a full day at the Terracotta Warriors - half a day would be plenty.

6) We stayed at the Bund Hotel and liked it very much. It's a 4 star located between Remnin and the Bund, so you can walk about ten minutes to either. A 10-15 minute walk takes you to the Metro, which we thought was great. I also like the French Concession, and would consider staying there on another visit, but for a first-time trip to Shanghai, being located centrally is helpful.

Also, we skipped the Tombs, but there was plenty to keep us occupied in Beijing. Leave lots of time for shopping - it's the best place for buying souvenirs, and I loved all three markets -- so much to buy and so little time!

Feel free to ask more questions and I hope you have a fabulous trip!

Linda
Old Apr 30th, 2008, 02:18 PM
Original Poster

Hello all,

I really appreciate everyone's responses to my itinerary. I just returned from a business trip and I'm leaving next week for my vacation in China -- finally! I have a long flight from Los Angeles to Narita, Japan to Beijing, but it's worth the extra hours because the flight is using frequent flier miles so I now have a little more money to shop and have fun.

Since I'll be in Beijing on the weekend, I'm a little concerned about the extra crowds and I appreciate the shopping tips because I'd rather go to the historical sites and the Wall during the week. I also a petite woman and have a difficult time finding clothes in the U.S. so I'm looking forward to the petite sized fashion in China.

I haven't spent very much time researching Shanghai and the comments are also very much appreciated. For hotels, I'd prefer to spend less than $100/night to stay in a newer hotel in a good location. I like hotels with character, but I'm sensitive to dust and mildew. (I once stayed in a historical hotel in New Orleans and the odors were very annoying.)

Based on many people's comments and research, I think I'll stay in Yangshou and bypass a night in Guilin. Any other suggestions for hotels in Yangshou? I hope to have a revised itinerary very soon to post.

Thanks again,
Aquawink

Old May 1st, 2008, 06:03 AM

Don't know if you've already left for your vacation, but I recently returned from a similar trip 10 days ago. In Shanghai, I would strongly recommend the Urban Planning Center. The name sounds boring, but it shows you the incredible growth of Shanghai over the last 18 years and a model for what the city will look like in the future.

Also, we were not really that enthralled with Suzho. The traffic from Shanghai was horrendous and we only visited one garden (the smallest one) which didn't seem very different from others we had seen. We did enjoy the Silk Factory tour . . it was fascinating watching the women working with the silkworms . . . but all in all, it wasn't worth the transportation time unless you get there via subway.

We really did enjoy the old fishing village of Tongli which we did later in the day after Suzho. It seemed much more authentic and charming than many of the other hyped-up tourist sites (including Suzho) that seemed to have lost a bit of the charm they were once recognized for.

Have fun!
Old May 1st, 2008, 09:00 AM
Original Poster

Hi SueBlue,

I leave next week for my trip and I appreciate the information on Suzhow. As you know, it all sounds so wonderful in the travel books. I was planning on taking a train to Suzhow for the day. Any suggestions on hotels in Shanghai?

Thanks,
Aquawink
Old May 1st, 2008, 09:32 AM

Just for the record, 苏州 is spelled Suzhou.
Old May 1st, 2008, 02:18 PM
Original Poster

Hi,

I think I need Chinese spell check.

Thanks, Aquawink
Old May 1st, 2008, 03:33 PM

Perhaps you should go to Tongli, it's a charming watertown. Since Linda's stay at the Bund Hotel was very good, why don't you check it out? Probably get it under $100.
Old May 1st, 2008, 08:18 PM
Original Poster

One last look:

Hello all,

Thanks again for all the great tips. I've revised my itinerary a little and took out Guilin to spend more time in Yangshou to relax and take in the natural beauty. In Beijing, I'm staying with an American friend and his Chinese wife (previously a Chinese/English translator) who can help me get around in Beijing. I'm also trying to build in some downtime in the schedule and shopping, but I'm not sure if I'm spending too much time in Yangshou.

May 9 - Arrive Beijing 9:00 PM (Fri.)
May 10 - Beijing, Hutong, Shopping
May 11 - Beijing, Forbidden City, Tiananmen, Dirt Market
May 12 - Beijing, Great Wall, Hike Simatai
May 13 - Beijing, Lama Temple, Ben Hai Park, Shopping
May 14 - Beijing, Summer Palace, Temple of Heaven, Pearl Market
May 15 - Beijing, Bell and Drum Tower, Shopping, other activities
May 16 - Fly to Xian, Xian Museum, Muslem quarter
May 17 - Xian, Terracotta Warriors, bike top of wall
May 18 - Fly to Guilin/Yangshou, West Street
May 19 - Cycling Moon Hill/Impression Li Sanji
May 20 - Li River Tour (Xingping - Yangdi), Cave (forgot name)
May 21 - Yangshou, Li River Tour (Yulong/Dragon Bridge)
May 22 Fly to Shanghai, Bund, French Concession
May 23 - Shanghai - Yuyuan Garden, Old Towne, Jade Buddha
May 24 - Shanghai or train to Suzhow, Tiger Hill, Lingering Gin, Silk Research Ctr.
May 25 - Fly Home

Thank you,
Aquawink