10 Days in Vietnam/Thailand/Cambodia

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23rd, 2014, 04:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there, I will be on my honeymoon at the end of Feb 2015 and we want to go to SE Asia. We only have 9-10 days there and realize that we may not get to do everything on our list- Ha long bay, Chiang mai, Angkor Wat, and possibly a beach like Phuket or Phu Quoc. As you can see we're trying to do a bit of everything and wanted to know if you have any itinerary comments/suggestions(can we fit all this in?), transportation options between destinations(don't mind paying extra for flights) and if you recommend booking through a travel agent or on my own(it's our first time traveling to Asia)?

Thank you for your help on my very first Fodor's forum post
Old Nov 23rd, 2014, 04:27 PM

I'd strongly suggest you choose one country or, at most, one country plus a side trip (Thailand combines well with a side tip to Angkor). Each time you change locations you will lose from half a day to a whole day in transit (consider time from checking out of one hotel and into the next). Is your 9-10 days the number of days you will have on the ground in Asia or does it include your travel time from home. If it includes travel time, restrict your itinerary to two locations in one country.

It is easy to book everything on your own. Don't forget about the required visa in advance for VN.
Old Nov 23rd, 2014, 04:37 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your response Kathie!

Total travel time from home is 13-14 days so I've calculated about 9-10 days on the ground in Asia. That being said, do you think Ha long bay, Chiang Mai, and Angkor is feasible? Or still do just 1 country plus side trip?

Although I would love to see the beaches I can do without it and would be ok cutting it from the itnerary if it means we could do the 3 mentioned here.
Old Nov 24th, 2014, 04:12 AM

I think you will be able to enjoy your trip more if you opt for one country plus a side trip. Note that if you are going to Halong Bay, you will want (and logistically, need) to spend some time in Hanoi. So your idea of three destinations in three countries really becomes four destinations in three countries, including a lot of boring drive time between Hanoi and Halong Bay and return. If Halong Bay is a must, opt for Halong/Hanoi and Siem Reap. Do be aware that if you will be returning to VN after Siem Reap (maybe to catch your flight home) you will need to apply for a double entry visa for Vn. Your Cambodia visa can be obtained online or at the airport in Siem Reap.
Old Nov 24th, 2014, 07:42 PM

Yes, if you want to go to Ha Long, then Hanoi is a must.
Old Nov 25th, 2014, 09:03 PM

I would skip Phu Quoc. Just spent 5 nights there earlier this month and wished I wouldn't have.
Old Nov 28th, 2014, 07:13 PM

I would suggest you just to choose only one country to visit. It shouldn't be so rushed during your honeymoon.
Old Nov 30th, 2014, 02:47 AM

Kathie is right.To short of time. Stay in one country and enjoy!