1 week in Hong Kong-What to do?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14th, 2016, 11:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be in Hong Kong for a week in March with my dad. I know people love to shop there but that's not something we plan on doing. Aside from that, we're open to anything. What are some of the cant-miss things we need to do? Thanks!
Old Nov 14th, 2016, 11:50 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
For a week in HK, a guidebook would be a worthwhile investment. Start your research here: http://www.fodors.com/world/asia/china/hong-kong

The forums are best for more specific questions, so do some reading, then return and ask for details you may need.
Old Nov 14th, 2016, 11:59 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Start your visit with a walking tour from Little Adventures in Hong Kong, a food based tour which will also give you local history. I can't say wnough about this company. They offer a variety of tours. They are either private or very small group tours.It is eun by Daisann McLain, a former NYT travel writer.
Aside from that, on our second trip to HK last April, we took a ferry over to Cheung Chau Island for lunch, a peek at a different area. Delicious fish lunch too.
The metro system is excellent, ferries too. Buy hour Oyster cards at the airport for transportation.
You will want to take a ride on tne Star Ferry, go to Victoria Peak, see rhe Big Buddha on Lantau Island, ride a tram, perhaps visit Macau.. Go over to the other side of Hong Kong Island to Stanley. There is so much to do and , of course, fantastic food. We have always stayed on Hong Kong Island. It is one of my favorite cities in the world.
Old Nov 14th, 2016, 12:56 PM

Not intended to dismiss your request, my response took into account that, while you mentioned what you don't want to do (shop), there are so many things to do in HK that any list of favorites, such as HT's above, can only address what we like best, not what you may enjoy, so not necessarily useful no matter how many we list.

If you look at the possibilities from sources available online or in guidebooks, at least you can narrow them down and ask for details that will help you best plan your days. Using "cant-miss", again, only says what I wouldn't miss and may bore you to death. Top of my list, for instance, is the Museum of Tea Ware. Excited yet?
Old Nov 14th, 2016, 06:16 PM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Topping
Old Nov 14th, 2016, 07:03 PM

Hello, @jgndlk! You can go to Victoria Peak which probably is the most famous attraction in the city. The peak has breathtaking views Hong Kong where you can take photos with the city as the background. I suggest to go here at night because of the city lights, which makes the view more stunning. You can reach the Victoria Peak via Peak Tram (train-like transpo to the peak). It runs from 7 am to 12 mn. Have a great trip in Hong Kong!
Old Nov 15th, 2016, 05:53 AM

Take the double decker bus to Stanley Market. I don't particularly like the market (and you won't either if you don't want to shop), but I think the ride there is beautiful. I believe there are restaurants along the water there, but someone else will have to chime in about that.
Old Nov 16th, 2016, 11:03 AM
Original Poster

@MmePerdu that's why I'm asking, I want opinions from those who have been there. I'm aware I can research on my own. I consider getting advice and opinions a valuable part of my research. That said, I appreciate all the tips! Thanks!
Old Nov 16th, 2016, 11:35 AM

So, jgndik, your response, then, is to confirm that you have no particular interests? Not very encouraging for those who do want to help.
Old Nov 17th, 2016, 02:36 AM

There are few things you can enjoy with your fathre...

1)See the view from Victoria peak.
2)if you are foodie, then you enjoy the best meal of Hong Kong Dim Sum which means "Touch Your Heart".
3) Castelo Concepts offers seven-hour rides, including food and open bar, for up to fourteen adults (approximately $1,260).
4) Ride The Star Ferry.
5) Hit the street market.
6) Visit historic temples.
7) Emjoy MICHELIN-STARRED cuisines.
8) Check out the art scene.
9) Explore the outer Islands.
10) Pamper yourself at a spa.