1 Day in Shanghai - need advice

Aug 11th, 2004, 09:17 PM
Original Poster

1 Day in Shanghai - need advice

Hi all,
I have a last minute business trip to Shanghai. I will be there for a week, but only have 1 free day to myself. The other days / nights will be consumed with work and group dinners, etc. So I want to make the most of my 1 day. I've been doing a lot of reading here and understand that there are plenty of sights to see. But how can I best focus my time by area and maximize my sightseeing/photography experience?

Any input or advice is greatly appreciated. Also, if you have suggestions for evening activities, I'd love to have some options in case we find ourselves available for such things. Thanks again in advance!

Oh, by the way.. I leave on Friday!
Aug 12th, 2004, 11:00 AM

Luckily most of the major sights - the Bund, Yu Yuan gardens, People's square, the Shanghai Museum are all concentrated in a relatively compact area. You should be able to visit these in a day. You may also want to take a ride to the top of the Pearl tower or the Jin Mao building in Pudong (or just visit the bar on the top floor of the Grand Hyatt) for a view across the river. Normally I'd say the view is best in the evening but when I was there 3 weeks ago, they were having an electricity crisis and none of the exterior building lights along the Bund were turned on at night. I don't know if this is still ongoing. There are local tour companies that operate one day tours which cover basically the same sights mentioned above and usually add the Jade Buddha temple as well. That's an option if you're short on time and want to maximize the amount of places you see. But it's also easy enough to get around on your own. Where are you staying? Enjoy Shanghai, it's one of my favorite cities. The worst part about Shanghai is the traffic.
Aug 12th, 2004, 02:40 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Patty.
I'm staying in the Pudong area near our local office (hotel not confirmed yet). So I'll need to get across the river to see the most interesting sites. I understand taxis are pretty inexpensive, but traffic is lousy. How are the subways? I don't mind the subways if they're relatively safe (I'll be alone and carrying expensive camera equipment in a bag). I'm fine with subway travel, having utilized them extensively in places like London, Paris, Rome, Munich, Budapest, Prague, etc. It generally seems faster in cities with traffic problems on the surface roads.

And one last question.. What kind of attire do tourists usually wear while in China? I typically wear pants & simple shirt, but have been known to favor shorts when it's warm (and it's supposed to be in the high 90s while I'm there). Are shorts frowned upon or do they generate too much attention? I figure as an average height pasty white guy, I'll probably stick out anyway!
Aug 12th, 2004, 04:44 PM

Ha ha, yes you will stick out anyway, you're right. Shanghai is casual, so shorts are fine. Temperature is very warm, although today, Friday is overcast and might rain, which will hopefully bring down the temp. a couple of degrees. Yes, traffic can be bad, subway is fine, very safe don't worry, problem is that in my experience the area where you buy your tickets is all in Chinese. It's not til you're on the train that it is in English too. If I was you, and only had one day, I would get myself a guide to go with you, either by subway or vehicle. They can ensure that you see the best there is to see in the quickest time, you won't have time to be meandering and getting lost. Communicating is a problem here, taxi drivers don't speak English and that can be frustrating if you're needing advice or have questions on what's going on around you.
Am sure the hotel will be able to help you out with a guide.
Have fun, and be prepared for a sweaty day!
Aug 12th, 2004, 04:51 PM

Sorry, you also asked for guidance re night life. There is very much a big bar mentality here, but I don't partake so can't advise you on that. I could however suggest dinner at Sasha's (fine dining) and afterwards go to Zapata's next door where they have live music and of course margaritas. This is downtown. Or, dinner at M On The Bund which has a good view over the Bund, or across the road at No. 3 On The Bund, where there are several upmarket restaurants which I have not tried yet. If you want downmarket, then dine at Paulaner on Pudong side of the river and you have a good view also. This is German food and not so fantastic but sitting outside near the river is nice. Otherwise the bar Patty mentioned at the Hyatt where they have a jazz singer/s. There are streets full of bars, but I hear mixed reports and cannot recommend or otherwise. Heard the Kangaroo is okay, but will be full of Aussies and Kiwis, if that's okay.
Aug 12th, 2004, 05:16 PM

Shorts will be fine. I see locals wearing them all the time too so they certainly wouldn't be frowned upon. The metro is safe and efficient, if a bit crowded, and will most likely get you across the river faster than a taxi assuming your hotel is near a metro station. I find line 2 (the one that goes into Pudong) stations generally well marked with adequate signage in pinyin to figure out where you're going. Taxis are inexpensive but both tunnel and bridge traffic can be heavy, and in general on the Puxi side. If you take a taxi, you'll need the destination written in Chinese and it's also good to have the intersection/cross streets written down in case the driver doesn't know where it is (not likely for the popular sights, but if you're heading back to the hotel or some place not as well known). And they don't stare at pasty white guys as much as they did 10 years ago
Aug 12th, 2004, 08:38 PM
Original Poster

Wow, thanks for all the great responses. They're very timely as I'm just finishing my packing right now. I'lll throw some shorts in, too.

I'll also inquire about a guide when I get to the hotel. Sounds like a nice option. Usually, I like to go by myself so I can take my time for some of my photography (I'm very particular and have been known to set up and wait 30mins for the right shot).

I think I'm near a subway station so that sounds like the best option, so long as I can figure out how to buy a ticket.