Your Thoughts about AA Plat Challenge?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11th, 2012, 02:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I'm thinking of doing it as I'm expecting to fly a fair amount over the few weeks. For a change I think that I may fly enough to qualify for Plat this year. But I'm considering doing the Plat challenge because

(1) I'll get 75% more bonus miles instead of the 25% I get right now for Gold once I qualify for Plat. Even if I fly enough (say 50000 miles for Plat), if I qualify for Plat earlier, I'd collect an extra 75% x 30000 miles (say).

(2) I think Plat could help with domestic upgrades. While I rarely fly domestically these days on personal expense, I do expect to have a flight coming up, where I think an upgrade would be nice. This is for JFK-LAX. How realistic is this? Quite a while ago, I was Plat, and I don't think I managed to get upgraded either. But this time around I think I'll be flying on a Saturday, so I think that there won't be that many business travelers to compete with me?

How much does the Plat challenge cost? I've read that it's $200. Do you think it's worthwhile paying the $200?

Bear in mind I wasted $150 a few months ago for a more expensive ticket so that I could have enough EQP for Gold, but that's now useless given the new developments. At that time I didn't remember about AA's filing for Chapter 11, but does that affect anything? I guess the consensus is that I shouldn't hoard my miles, but I still do....

Thanks!
Old Jan 11th, 2012, 03:19 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Yes, the price is now $200.

As to using sticker upgrades, it's hard to say. LAX-JFK is an elite-heavy route with a lot of SWUs flying around; on the other hand it's a route with a lot of capacity, so who's to say? For the coming weekend I can't see any U or C inventory out of LAX to JFK (stickers use "R" but space is invisible < 24 hrs out, even though Plats can clear at 72 hrs.) but there are several flights with U and C seats available out of SFO, so if it were this weekend and you were willing to detour, you'd probably get space.

The "worth it" question is always a toughie. If you travel internationally on OW metal, then Sapphire is worth a lot for lounge access. Bag fees are waived for Golds as well, but not all airports allow Golds through the priority security lines, so it could be worth something there. Certainly if you're flying upwards of 30K BIS miles having Plat will allow you to harvest a fair number of bonus miles, which can't be a bad thing.

As for AA's chapter 11 journey, I see no reason to worry, unless you're dependent on a route that could face frequency reductions, or, in the case of BUR, decapitation.

Remember the challenge is based on elite qualifying POINTS, not miles. So for Plat you need 10K points - either 10K miles in 1-EQP/Mi seats, or 20K miles in 0.5 EQP/Mi fares, or (easier) 6667 BIS miles in business or first class. (Hint - have a look at business fares from LAX to SJO.)

Personally, I'd do it.
Old Jan 11th, 2012, 05:55 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for checking! It's not this weekend for JFK-LAX, but I'll try to do this trip before the double EQM offer expires at the end of Jan.

(Yes, if I sign up for the challenge, I expect to become Plat before the JFK-LAX flight.)

To me I think the priority checkin is a nice perk as I don't want to be the airport too early. But Gold offers this already.

I completely forgot about the lounge access.

I am also Silver Medallion on Delta, and I was just in Narita recently. To my surprise I could not have priority access for security. But since the staff pulled out a binder with a list (and pictures -- this being Tokyo!) of what had priority, I'm sure they were right.
Old Jan 11th, 2012, 06:33 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
>>>I am also Silver Medallion on Delta, and I was just in Narita recently. To my surprise I could not have priority access for security. But since the staff pulled out a binder with a list (and pictures -- this being Tokyo!) of what had priority, I'm sure they were right.<<<

Yes, they were right. Silver doesn't get you much on Delta.
http://www.delta.com/skymiles/about_...ance/index.jsp
Old Jan 12th, 2012, 02:30 AM
Original Poster

Hi, you start getting the 100% benefit with the flight for which you make Platinum, right, -- even in the case of the Plat challenge?

So if flight X puts you over 10,000 points, then you get the full 100% bonus on flight X?

And my understanding (from AA's webpage) is that CX class H accrues 100% points?

Thanks again!
Old Jan 12th, 2012, 05:42 AM

<i>Hi, you start getting the 100% benefit with the flight for which you make Platinum, right, -- even in the case of the Plat challenge?

So if flight X puts you over 10,000 points, then you get the full 100% bonus on flight X?</i>

That's correct.
Old Jan 13th, 2012, 02:27 PM
Original Poster

I decided not to do it for now, as only AA flights count towards the challenge. I think I might still manage to do this within 90 days, but I wouldn't be accumulating the extra miles as quickly as I was thinking.

What I should have done was to do the challenge last year. I completely forgot about it! It'd have saved me all the hassle in December as well.
Old Jan 13th, 2012, 03:54 PM

Codeshare flights with AA flight numbers also qualify - for example many Alaska Airlines flights carry AA codes, as do most transatlantic British Airways and Iberia flights.
Old Jan 15th, 2012, 01:16 PM
Original Poster

Hi, I think the AA equivalent would have been more expensive, so I'm not booked on the AA equivalent. In other words, the flight I'm booked on does not have an AA number. So I assume this flight would not qualify, right? Thanks.