Why do we feel safer at home?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 08:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

we are leaving soon for an extended trip. I know the statistics say that most accidents happend near home, and we live in a safe city, nice neighborhood, good family, job, friends, home,etc., so why am I afraid to leave. I have a dull misgiving and aprenhension, is it the war? who knows how that will end, what will the threats be abroad, what will the hassles be? Never felt like this before. Anyhone else.?
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 03:16 PM

It may be just a normal pre-travel anxiety as your trip is "extended". I get it all the time, so what? I still travel. Try not to watch TV and think more about the pleasures of the trip and how nice it will be to tell all your friends and neighbors how great it was.
Old Apr 4th, 2003, 04:01 PM

The cause of your feelings could be any or all of the things you named. Travel is wonderful, but you will also be dealing with many unknowns in circumstances and surroundings that will be unfamiliar to you. Normally, that is part of the fun and excitement of traveling, but in troubled times it can produce feelings of anxiety.<BR><BR>The reasons most accidents happen near home is because that's where people spend the majority of their time, not because home is inherently more dangerous. On the contrary, for most of us home is a refuge, where we are surrounded by people and things that we love and are comfortable with. It is understandable that you are reluctant to leave it during a time when we are being bombarded with horrific images of war and suffering. A part of you may even feel it is frivolous and self-indulgent to travel now, and that you therefore shouldn�t be going. <BR><BR>If you have always enjoyed traveling, your apprehensions may dissipate once you begin your journey. If you are constantly watching war coverage on TV, it may be wise to limit your exposure for a while. If you are a religious person, pray for a swift resolution to the war and ask for inner peace. You may find that continuing with your travel plans is a better antidote for your anxiety than sitting at home fretting about it.<BR><BR><BR><BR>
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 12:18 PM

Most accidents happen near home because that's where we spend most of our time. If we spent most of our time away from home, then most accidents would happen away from home.
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 04:47 PM

Uhhh, dude...read the first line in the second paragraph of walkabout's response. She said almost the exact same thing 3 days ago.
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 01:20 PM

Yes, we agree, dude.