Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

Which would you choose - Gatwick or Heathrow?

Sep 18th, 2009, 10:21 AM
Original Poster

On 11/11/09, we can get BA to Rome from either airport, same day, flights few minutes apart, same price?????

On 11/11, we will arrive at the airport via private car transport service from South Hampton. Our return from Rome to London will be arriving at Heathrow, but I don't see why that would make a difference - using private car transport service for that too.

Which airport is more favored?

Thanks, Julie
Sep 18th, 2009, 10:33 AM

Only marginal differences - the flight time from LHR is slightly shorter; however I'd expect the chances of a late departure are slightly higher due to traffic.

I'd probably go via LHR as those flights depart from T5 which is brand new and very easy in terms of street-to-airside access. If by any chance you're in business class, then definitely LHR as the lounges are very cool.
Sep 18th, 2009, 10:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Gardyloo. Don't know if you are familiar, but do you know if there is much difference in car service transport costs? I think the car ride is about the same distance, but I didn't know if there was an 'extra' charge for one airport over the over because of route, or....

That's a thought - which would be the better auto travel route with the least chance of road blockage, heavy traffic, etc?
Sep 18th, 2009, 11:49 AM
Original Poster

Well, the decision was made for me! The price went up on the Heathrow flight, so I grabbed the Gatwick flight - all done. Thanks Gardyloo.
Sep 18th, 2009, 05:58 PM

I like Gatwick, probably because it is the smaller of the two and in my experience, easy to get to and from. Maybe I am just used to it. Have a nice flight.