Which Airport in Ireland?

Old Dec 27th, 2020, 05:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which Airport in Ireland?

I'm planning a late August/September 2021 trip to Ireland. I'll be flying from Portland, Oregon, and want to begin my trip with a 3 night stay in Galway. I don't want to rent a car. My question is: Would it be better to fly to Shannon Airport, which requires more travel time (2 stops minimum), and then take a bus from the airport to Galway, which should take about 2 hours. Or, should I fly to Dublin (possibly only 1 change), and a longer bus/train trip from the Dublin Airport to Galway?

Any advise would be most welcome! Thank you!
Old Dec 27th, 2020, 06:09 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Makes absolutely no difference really -- both have about equal advantages and disadvantages. I'd pick the one that either has the best fare, or best ff benefits, or best schedule, or whatever.
Old Dec 31st, 2020, 11:56 AM

janisj is right it really doesn’t make a lot of difference. I usually don’t worry about airfares or ff miles, but realize many do. Schedules are important to me. Personally I’d prefer to fly into Dublin since I hate multiple stops. Often a chance for a screwup and more tiring IMO. I think it would be nice just to relax on bus/ train and take in the scenery enroute to Galway. Thinking the difference probably consists of a few more hours in transit but have no idea as to train/ bus schedules since I’ve always driven in Ireland.
Old Dec 31st, 2020, 02:18 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to you both for your replies. I think I will fly to Dublin, less stops, and the buses from the airport leave very frequently for Galway.
Old Dec 31st, 2020, 04:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We take the gobus.ie They are frequent to Galway from the Airport and have wifi. Just follow the signs to the bus park. They take cash onboard so no need to get a ticket before. I just looked at their site and they need reservations right now due to COVID schedule but hopefully, by August it will be back to normal. Enjoy Galway. They are planning on having a new ferry to the Aran islands in the spring from Galway instead of the Rosseveal ferry. Very convenient.

Last edited by Macross; Dec 31st, 2020 at 04:52 PM. Reason: change
Old Jan 1st, 2021, 03:17 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Macross! Very good to hear from someone that has made the trip.
Old Jan 6th, 2021, 05:29 AM

John Keogh.ie is my favorite place to eat and the Jury Inn is very nice but if there are four of you I know a great place to rent for three nights. Cheaper eats can't be beaten in the beer garden of O'Connells. Don't let the tiny pub look fool you. The beer garden is a paradise outside the back door. The Dough Brothers make the best pizzas and now they have other food options. Covid has done that. I do love Galway and it is a great place for day trips plus the bus station has tons of day tours to choose from.
Old Feb 16th, 2021, 07:31 AM

Received 22 Likes on 2 Posts
I defer to Macross because she has excellent Ireland advice and my trip was long ago.

Having said that, flying into Shannon was perhaps my favorite travel memory of all. After hours over the ocean, to see land and the land was green squares with rock walls and cows looking up at the plane. Okay, maybe I am imagining their looking up at the plane, but it was the most picturesque approach I've ever experienced. I loved flying into Shannon We picked up a rental car and driving out was magical. Those first 2.5 days were the best 2.5 days of any vacation since. On the spur of the moment - based on a conversation at the castle banquet the first night - we ditched my plans to go to the Aran Islands.

We stayed here for the first two nights and loved it -
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Re...nty_Clare.html
Old Feb 16th, 2021, 01:14 PM

I have looked at Shannon a couple of times for Dingle but we have a nonstop from Orlando to Dublin and it spoils you.
Old Feb 23rd, 2021, 11:48 PM

From SFO our easiest flights were always to Shannon, but have also flown into Dublin and after a couple of days there took a 3 hour train ride across the country to Galway, a favorite place. When we were there the Quays had great music.

Excellent news that the ferry to Aran Islands will be fro Galway and you can skip the trek to the previous ferry departure point. Fun biking on the island.