Search

Which airline??

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19th, 2004, 08:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which airline??

I'm planning a trip from Aus to the US for October. The company I'm booking my plane tickets through has these airlines listed on their website as flying there at that time.

China Airlines
Air China International Corporation
Korean Air
Asiana Airlines Inc.
United Airlines
Eva Airways Corporation
Qantas Airways
Air New Zealand
Japan Airlines
Us Airways Inc./United Airlines

Price is a deciding factor too, but I wanted to ask about which I should avoid or which are usually good to fly with. I've never flown before so I have no idea...
Thanks.
Old Jun 19th, 2004, 09:15 AM

On a long flight like this, the flight time should be just as important as price. With that in mind, choose United or Qantas. Direct, non-stop flights between Australia and US. The other airlines don't have anything substantially better to offer in their economy cabin to offset the added time they will require to get you to the destination. With the others you will need to connect in some Asian capital which will add hours to your flight. USAirways does not fly to Australia. The airline codeshares with United Airlines.
Old Jun 19th, 2004, 10:38 AM

Other than UA/Qantas, the only one that you might remotely consider is Air Zealand. It will add a stop in Auckland, but at least the total flight time should be just a little more than UA/Qantas. The others all add 8-9 hours of flight time or more.
Old Jun 19th, 2004, 11:20 AM

I mean Air New Zealand.
Old Jun 19th, 2004, 11:57 AM

I would NOT consider the first three on your list. Been on all three....ONCE! Last time, we chose Quantas because it was non stop. The flight is so long that no matter what class you are in your backside is soar and you will be ready to jump out of the plane mid flight! Was on JAL once, just OK. I continually hear great things about Air New Zealand but have no personal experience yet.
Old Jun 19th, 2004, 04:03 PM
Original Poster

Thanks.
The list goes from cheapest to most expensive so I was expecting that the first few on the list might great.

I think I may see what I can get on Qantas or Air New Zealand.
The prices they quote for those are $2161 and $2163 respectively. And united is about $100 cheaper than that.
Old Jun 19th, 2004, 04:20 PM

You said you've never flown before. I assume you live in Australia, and if you plan to fly again in the future, you may want to think about the advantage of flying Qantas because of the Frequent Flyer points you can earn. 20,000 miles (points) will get you a free roundtrip in Australia that's 2,000 miles or less roundtrip (e.g. Melbourne - Sydney roundtrip).

Sydney - Los Angeles roundtrip will earn you 14,982 points. Not enough, but if you're flying from other parts of Australia and/or connecting to other parts of the US via American Airlines, then you may be close. For example, Sydney - New York earns you 19,894 points roundtrip, and Perth - Sydney earns you 4,082.

Therefore, you can be quite close to a free domestic roundtrip, or even earned one by just going to the US once on Qantas and/or American Airlines.

All airlines have their own frequent flyer programs, but it'd be much easier for you to earn and use Qantas points.
Old Jun 19th, 2004, 07:48 PM

ua would be low on my list. qantas and jal should be much better. i would think ua would be relatively expensive.