Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

When would you fly again?

Search
View Poll Results: When would you fly again?
Next week
14.29%
Next month
7.14%
Next year
38.10%
Other
21.43%
Depends on how airlines handle C19 safety
21.43%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

When would you fly again?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1st, 2020, 01:30 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
***All of that statistical stuff you see hyped on the news every day at present is only comparing "today" (with almost nobody flying) to other past days when almost nobody was flying!***

So true. I was on a flight in late March with only three people and other flights with just six.

My flight late Saturday night ATL/LEX I was upgraded to 1st class (4A). Lady across the aisle from me in 4C did not wear a mask at all. There were only two other people in 1st and they were in 2C and 2D. There are 12 1st class seats on that plane. I really didn't pay attention to total number of flyers, but the flight may have been about 25% capacity.
Old Jun 1st, 2020, 10:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by starrs
Next week?
Next month?
Next year?

Do you think airlines are doing enough for safety?

Share general thoughts please.
Hi starrs,
I just read on the projected airport opening dates across the world. However, i am not too sure if it applies to only the citizens or residence of the country or if it also applies to the tourists.
Hope the information helps.
Many thanks and best wishes from Borneo,
imwerren
Old Jun 2nd, 2020, 11:44 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I voted "other" but I certainly do HOPE to travel in 2021. I just couldn't guarantee at this point at this point in time, if I think that will be viable for me or not.
Old Jun 2nd, 2020, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by suze
I voted "other" but I certainly do HOPE to travel in 2021. I just couldn't guarantee at this point at this point in time, if I think that will be viable for me or not.
This is me too. I really miss travelling, travel planning, travel dreaming, travel researching. Heck ... all things travel related. I am hoping for Spring of 2021, but probably not until there is a reliable vaccine. I have about $1000 in Westjet travel credit that is good for two years, I think (better check on that). I would really be bummed if I couldn't use it.
Old Jun 4th, 2020, 08:24 AM

I'm personally not looking for a viable vaccine. I don't have that long to wait. As long as quarantines are lifted I'd like to go to Hawaii next spring.
Old Jun 4th, 2020, 07:58 PM

FCO ramped up yesterday. Not sure what the state of CIA is. Problem is you can't really go anyplace for tourism yet. Spain still requires a quarantine. I think the UK does. France is open. Even if they didn't I'm not sure what the state of the hotels and restuarants are.

In other words I'd likely fly but I don't have anyplace to go. I'm not getting on a plane to quarantine for two weeks and then turn around.

If things open up maybe I'll try the south of Spain this autumn. Maybe not.
Old Jun 5th, 2020, 04:09 AM

I flew June 3rd from Vienna to LA. On June 1 I discovered my original non-stop flight on June 2nd had been canceled. There was no notification from Lufthansa. It was extremely hard to rebook as their website proved unreliable. It was necessary to travel to Vienna airport to secure another flight reservation.
On June 3rd at Vienna airport there were no restaurants or shops open. It was a full flight to Frankfurt and masks were worn by everyone. The later had one coffee shop open and one bakery/sandwich shop open. 2-300 people at the airport.
Frankfurt to Chicago on a 747 about half full. The usual meal and snack were served.
At Chicago there was a simple questionnaire with a fireman interview upon exiting the aircraft. At O'Hare there were several restaurants open with lines. Several hundred people at the airport. Little social distancing except when online at the restaurants.
The American Airlines flight Chicago to LA was full. No service. A strange feeling on the plane. Everyone wearing a mask.
At LAX there was limited services and I was able to catch a shuttle to my hotel. The later had all restaurants closed.
Airlines are flying but there are few opportunities for eating or buying something to read. It appears airlines and car rental agencies have slashed the number of
employees. The latter has resulted in challenges for all.

Old Jun 5th, 2020, 07:36 AM

Thanks for the report. Are you still flying to SFO or just driving home from LAX?
Old Jun 5th, 2020, 08:17 AM

Actually probably not until there is a vaccine.
Old Jun 6th, 2020, 02:58 AM

Originally Posted by starrs
Next week?
Next month?
Next year?

Do you think airlines are doing enough for safety?

Share general thoughts please.
Next year i think.. because virus
Old Jun 7th, 2020, 04:30 AM

Hi, I rented a car in LA and drove to Fresno. The number of rental car shuttle buses has decreased. Flying into Fresno is always a problem and my wish was to eliminate another flight.
Airlines and rental car companies advertise for more customers but the experience remains worse than ever. It certainly appears they have slashed the jobs in customer support.
Old Jun 7th, 2020, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by rantapawan
This doesn't seem correct. 10 July for India when Indian government has announced that international flights will be resumed after August/September.
These are two different things. An airport can be open and still only citizens are allowed to fly into a country, such as the case now in the US (at least re certain countries' residents not being allowed to e1nter). It's the same in Europe, French people can fly into Paris from abroad but Americans cannot, at least not without a very limited set of acceptable reasons. Even Air India is doing flights from abroad in June to bring back Indian citizens from US and Canada.
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/76248168.cms
Old Jun 7th, 2020, 10:21 AM

As for the poll, for me, I just don't know when I'll feel comfortable. It's not just the airplane, it's the entire airport experience which I think can be worse than the plane (bathrooms, waiting area, security, etc.). I posted an article on here recently somewhere about an expert on airline procedures that made me feel better about the dangers on the plane itself, since it mentioned the HEPA air filters, etc. But I still am not even that comfortable going to a grocery store where it isn't nearly as crowded as an airport. For now, I'm planning a road trip for July, no flights involved. Dealing with staying in hotels is all I can handle right now, I figure I'll just tell them no one is to service my room the entire time (which I don't even like much anyway, as I travel alone a lot and just don't even need that daily 1stuff), and if I just have to deal with a desk clerk on checkin and trying to avoid people in hallways, elevators, wearing a mask, wiping TV remote and bathroom fixtures upon checkin, etc, that's what I can handle for now. I'm also going to an area with a relatively lower infection rate and mainly doing outdoors non-group activities (like hiking, scenic drives, etc.).
Old Jun 8th, 2020, 10:00 AM

End of the year

I think that hopefully, things will calm down virally and politically enough by (hopefully) September. I'm planning on taking a flight domestically next week as my brother needs to pick up his truck from school in another state.

I imagine the airlines will also work alongside us as travelers to create a safe environment for travel.
Old Jun 8th, 2020, 10:54 AM

How come the poll is closed?
Old Jun 8th, 2020, 11:02 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Ask starrs. AFAK, when someone starts a poll they decide how long it runs . . .
Old Jun 8th, 2020, 01:32 PM

Why does it matter? You already voted.

The OP does get to set the poll parameters.

Old Jun 8th, 2020, 05:28 PM

Thank you janisj. Appreciate the answer. Just wondered who set the limit - Fodor's or the OP.
Old Jun 9th, 2020, 12:41 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Our doctor worries about the crowds at baggage carousels and the multiple people who touch your luggage, especially when changing flights.. He recommended shipping our bags in boxes to our destination which we have done several times in the past. That is our plan this summer plus wearing masks, gloves.
Old Jun 12th, 2020, 08:15 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I just booked a flight on Southwest for late November from LAX to Oakland for the Big Game (Cal v. Stanford) that probably won't happen.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -