Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Air Travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/)
-   -   When would you fly again? (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/when-would-you-fly-again-1680905/)

starrs May 30th, 2020 05:28 AM

When would you fly again?

Next week?
Next month?
Next year?

Do you think airlines are doing enough for safety?

Share general thoughts please.

schmerl May 30th, 2020 05:31 AM

I have no desire to sit in an enclosed tube with people who refuse to wear masks.

Inakauaidavidababy May 30th, 2020 05:34 AM

Whatsup with this Fodors having members start poles? Who are the poles for. What are they used for?

gruezi May 30th, 2020 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by schmerl (Post 17111440)
I have no desire to sit in an enclosed tube with people who refuse to wear masks.

same! Also, the whole airport routine with people right on my tail at check-in and security.

no thanks...

kybourbon May 30th, 2020 05:57 AM

I've been flying the entire time. I fly again tonight. No, the airlines and airports aren't doing enough. The airlines are not enforcing their mask policies for employees or travelers. People have tweeted pictures of United flights going out 100% full this week. American is not spacing either, but giving travelers the option to change to less crowded flights.

My experience last Sunday.
LEX (flight LEX/ATL)
- Delta policy says all employees will be masked and passengers are to be masked (they will provide if you need one).
1. Delta check-in agent - No mask. LEX luggage employee talking to agent - No mask
2. Delta gate agent - No mask
3. About 50% of passengers wearing masks (there weren't many passengers).
4. Delta FA's (there were 2) did have on masks, but during flight, one FA pulled her mask down under her chin and left it there.
5. Some passengers that did have masks waited until at the plane door to put them on and immediately took them off as they exited the plane.
6. Observed American Airlines gates in LEX. Some check-in agents and gate agents not wearing masks. Many passengers not wearing masks.

Percy May 30th, 2020 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by Inakauaidavidababy (Post 17111441)
Whatsup with this Fodors having members start poles? Who are the poles for. What are they used for?

You know what dogs do to poles :)

kybourbon May 30th, 2020 06:07 AM

ATL - airport Sunday 5/24

1. People masked in the airport was about 50/50. That includes airport employees, airline employees (I observed various airline gates including American, Delta, Sprint gates along with other airlines pilots/FA's walking through the airport), passengers deplaning from them, passengers, fast food employees (not many food or stores are open).
2. Food courts have spaced out their tables a bit and of course, people are not wearing masks to eat.
3. Some bars are open and no real social distancing.
4. Bathrooms do have hand sanitizer on the wall at entrance/exit. There is more cleaning of some gates' counters.
5. Many people wearing masks are not putting them over their nose or wearing them upside down.

starrs May 30th, 2020 06:13 AM

Thanks kybourbon. That's discouraging. Very discouraging.

What are you doing individually? I didn't wear masks in March (but will when I resume flying) but washed my hands beford boarding and as soon as I got off the plane. I carried Lysol wipes and wiped down all hard surfaces around me. Tried not to touch soft surfaces or anything other than my phone - which I wiped down with a Lysol wipe.

Are you concerned?

I didn't think I would miss flying but kind of do. Trying to sort out how I feel about getting back on a plane. I'm still avoiding grocery stores so it would be a major jump for me.

AJPeabody May 30th, 2020 06:21 AM

I'll fly when I am immune, either the easy way with an effective vaccine or the hard way surviving the disease, and when there is no risk of flying into a quarantine or lockdown or economy closure situation. Short version: Not for a long while.

sassy27 May 30th, 2020 06:41 AM

I flew in March when this all came out. It was before mask wearing. I always travel with hand sanitizer and wet wipes that says kill 99.99% germs. All I could get was get a big container of Colorex wipes so took them too. I debated taking surgical gloves but didn't. It was the first time in a long time, I came home not even with a sniffle which I found odd.

As to when I would fly again? I might in September. I keep going back and forth. I don't expect everyone to be wearing a mask. I don't expect people to wear a mask when eating or drinking. I don't expect a mask wearing person to never take it off. I would do what I can as that is all I can do.

Fra_Diavolo May 30th, 2020 06:45 AM

I found flying barely tolerable before, and don't think I'd care to fly again until things are back or close to normal. I don't think I could tolerate wearing a mask for a trans-Atlantic flight (I have a hard enough time wearing one for an hour).

Dayle May 30th, 2020 06:47 AM

Will fly when there is a proven vaccine. I expect that wont be for at last a year or two.

crefloors May 30th, 2020 06:49 AM

I'd fly but there is no place to fly to right now. Not a fun experience like it should be so for now I'll keep working on my yard. I'd just love to see my family and I can drive to them.

socaltraveler May 30th, 2020 06:52 AM

We are making no plans that involve flying for now, and probably not for quite awhile. Hoping for a vaccine, but who knows when? Our extended family vacation to Kauai for next month has been rescheduled for June 2021. I hope we will feel comfortable enough next winter to make plane reservations for that. Travel has changed, and we will have to wait and see how it goes.

jubilada May 30th, 2020 07:05 AM

We have been discussing the flying issue a lot because we really want to get from Tucson back to MA in order to get our home ready to sell and to get our cat, as well as to see certain medical providers. None of these are essential but seem pressing. We had been discussing flying, driving in our car, renting a motor home or not going , over the last months.

After very positive reports about flights on SW from several people who flew from here to there, we have decided to fly June 30 and then, of course, quarantine in our home for two weeks. We are not thrilled about it but it seems the best option for us at this point.

maitaitom May 30th, 2020 07:08 AM

Hopefully in September ... to Portugal.

Melnq8 May 30th, 2020 07:15 AM

I might fly this autumn, but no booked plans as of yet. Spouse is hoping his trip to the Maldives is still possible in July...and that's a whole lot of flying, some 24 hours on planes. I'm not really comfortable with that.

I flew home from Spain a few days after Covid-19 hit the fan and Spain closed its borders. I had no mask, but wiped down all hard surfaces on the flights, which I've been doing for a few years now. And of course I obsessively washed my hands throughout the trip.

cdnyul May 30th, 2020 07:18 AM

A soon as the quarantine requirement is lifted in Europe, Poland specifically.
I need a break from North America.

kybourbon May 30th, 2020 07:21 AM

***What are you doing individually? I didn't wear masks in March (but will when I resume flying) but washed my hands beford boarding and as soon as I got off the plane. I carried Lysol wipes and wiped down all hard surfaces around me. Tried not to touch soft surfaces or anything other than my phone - which I wiped down with a Lysol wipe.***

I started distancing beginning of Feb and got masks then. TSA agents in MCO were getting diagnosed with covid at that time, but there was no way to avoid them in security. Since you have to place stuff in bins at security, I wiped down things as I put them back and immediately headed to the bathroom to wash my hands even though I had alcohol based sanitizer. In Feb, in ATL, you could still buy travel hand sanitizer and wipes at the news type stores (those things disappeared in March, but are available again now along with masks for purchase). Hand sanitizer was put in one of the food courts in Feb on big floor dispenser stands (not all food courts), but later disappeared. I noticed in Feb. there is automated sanitizer at entrances to all the bathrooms on the walls. They appear to have always been there, but I never noticed them before. I was doing a full 20 second hand wash, but other people weren't. For a time in March/April, many wall sanitizers were empty, but you could walk to the next bathroom and stick your hand under (or even the men's as you can see most from the concourse walkway without actually going in).

I fly so much I know where the deserted bathrooms and other spots are so was able to avoid crowds as much as possible. At MCO, on the B side, there is an entire concourse closed down (fire doors are shut to it). Right before those doors are bathrooms that no one is using because of the area is closed.

I was wiping arm rests, screens, seat belt down on flights with my own wipes and not touching my face. At first, Delta started treating those of us flying as all 1st class (offering alcohol and 1st class snacks). At times there were only 3 people on a flight (I have pics of empty planes/gates). That quickly ended and Delta started handing people a Purell wipe as they boarded. On board, they handed out Delta drawstring goodie bags with bottled water, Biscoffs, Cheezits and a Purell wipe. That quickly switched to a tiny Purell packet that holds a bit of sanitizer to squeeze out onto your hands at boarding and a generic ziplock (instead of the logo Delta drawstring bag) with water, Cheezits, Kind bar (Biscoffs seem to be history) and a Purell wipe.

So many flights were cut (after booking) that I ended up with some long layovers (3-4 hours) in ATL as Delta cut to only 3 flights per day MCO/ATL. I went to a deserted area for budget flights (they had no planes going out of the entire end of the concourse) and hung out there basically alone for my layover.

Delta is spacing people out and boarding back to front (they called row numbers). They are asking you wear masks, but not everyone is doing it and some people are taking them off during flights or as they exit. I don't know what will happen today, but last time I went through MCO (end of April) I was the only one in line at security and on the tram alone. The plane ended up fairly crowded (about 30-40 people on 757), but many were repositioning FA's/pilots (not just Delta's, but also other airlines). I normally can upgrade in advance, but message yesterday says upgrades are being processed at the gate and I'm #5 of 7 for 1st (with spacing, I'm not sure that means anything). I'm #3 for upgrade Comfort+. I selected an exit row seat because no one was in front, behind or across to social distance. You don't have much control when you are flying.

starrs May 30th, 2020 07:37 AM

Thanks for the details, kybourbon.

I'm trying to make a personal decision. I've expressed interest in a job (same company) that will be mostly driving but has some real pros and cons. Yesterday, I woke up ready to go back to my old job - if that's still an option when my furlough is over. I talked to a friend/co-worker and she's ready to fly again now. Even her husband misses their drop off/ pick up with pups ritual. I really think that most of the work in the rest of the year will be virtual. But "not flying" was really important to me a couple of months ago. I'm very surprised to miss it. I've been very cautious with SIP but I look around at people crowded together for the space launch or going out just to shop and I wonder what the relative risks will be? I'll still avoid crowds as much as possible, but is flying on a plane "safer" than being next to an idiot in the grocery store who just got back from being in the middle of a thousand strangers? I don't know. I have no idea.

I think you may be flying back and forth for elderly parents, and if so, I hope things are going well.