Search

What's DFW customs like?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24th, 2005, 10:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's DFW customs like?

Hi again!

I'm looking into a BA flight R/T DFW-LGW (going onward to LAS) and I'm wondering what customs is like at DFW coming back. The only place I've gone through customs is JFK (which is always such a joy), so I don't have much in the form of comparison.

How much time is usually needed to get through customs? How much time is needed for a connecting flight out?

As always, I appreciate input from all you airport experts out there!
Old Jun 24th, 2005, 10:31 AM

It's impossible to predict how much time it will take. The 2-3 times I did it, it was a cake walk. I came in on AA 767 business class, one of the first passengers to deplane, a good 5 minute walk, first in immigration(about 15 seconds), only had carry ons, handed my customs form to the officer without actually stopping, and within 10 minutes I was upstairs going through security, and maybe 10 minutes later I was at the AA AC Lounge where I was suppose to wait about 1.5 hours for my connecting flight to Chicago. Each time I talked my way into the earlier flight.

BUT, DFW just opened the new international terminal. I have not been there yet so I can't tell you what's what. I'm not sure if BA is using this new terminal.
Old Jun 24th, 2005, 10:34 AM

DFW's opening a new international terminal - Terminal D - July 23. Are you flying before or after, as that will make a difference. And no one can tell you for certain what it'll be like.

All terminals (including the new international terminal D) are linked by a new train. It's fast and frequent (about once every minute), so transferring to your other gate won't be a problem.
Old Jun 24th, 2005, 10:43 AM

AAFF - The new terminal D isn't open yet, but I'm sure BA will be moved over there. I took the train "through" it a couple weeks ago, and it looks pretty nice.

Since the new train is airside, if one's connecting from an international to domestic flight, one will reclear security at "D" after clearing immigration and customs. That will be my concern - the security there basically has to take care of both outbound Terminal D passengers, as well as the numerous international arrival passengers connecting to domestic flights. You don't know if DFW/TSA/AA have that sorted out correctly or not.

And one also don't know about the baggage system in the new terminal. Maybe it's fast, maybe it likes to eat suitcases.

But immigration/customs shouldn't be a problem for US citizens/residents. I have never had a long wait at any airport in the US coming back home. It's an entirely different matter for visitors, of course.
Old Jun 24th, 2005, 10:48 AM

Here is the latest on term D:

<i>The opening date is being nudged back for the new international terminal at Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport.

Airport officials said Thursday that the opening of Terminal D – once anticipated for July 6 – now looks as if it won't occur till July 23 at the earliest.

The terminal's bag system is not expected to be finished until next week, and then it will undergo additional testing, they said.

&quot;We want to make sure everything is on track before the passengers come through,&quot; said Clay Paslay, who oversees the airport's capital development program.

Foreign-flag carriers will be first to use the terminal. A spokesman for American Airlines Inc. said Thursday that the Fort Worth carrier isn't sure when it will begin using the new terminal because it hasn't yet received its move-in notice. American then will have up to 30 days to move in.

Mr. Paslay said he expects the airline to receive the notice around July 1.
&quot;There are no fatal flaws at this point,&quot; he said.</i>
Old Jun 24th, 2005, 11:35 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. I know you can't give me a great estimate on the time it will take, but I was hoping it would be less painful than JFK (utter chaos, long waits, hot room, etc.).

We would be flying after July, so I'm thinking we'd be coming into the new terminal. Our connecting flight would be booked together through BA, but would be on AA or AW.

I'll wait until they open the terminal to get a clearer picture on where the BA gates are and the whole thing with gate D security. Thanks for all your information!
Old Jun 25th, 2005, 08:55 AM
tmh

Free tours and parking today at the new D terminal so I'll let you know any tidbits after the show! (The parking is a big deal. The airport makes $75M/year second only to landing fees. At DFW, you pay enter the grounds even if to drop and pick up people.)
Old Jun 25th, 2005, 10:57 AM

At least in the past, customs at DFW has been efficient, and we've gotten through pretty quickly except when we've had food products to declare. That necessitates a separate Ag inspection, which can take time because suitcases need to be opened in some cases.
Old Jun 27th, 2005, 10:43 AM

It's also worth noting that they are shifting flights through the new international terminal at DFW in phases, so just because you have an international departure post-July 23 doesn't necessarily mean you will be leaving out of the new terminal. I'll be interested to see if our Aug. flight to CDG will depart/arrive out of the new terminal.

Old Jun 27th, 2005, 11:37 AM
Original Poster

tmh-
Any new comments after the tour? I looked on their website, but couldn't find anything new.

Lutece - We're not going until next year, so our flight will probably be out of that terminal. I had no idea they were building when I posted, so I'll have to give it a few months and see what people think, especially when transfering from international to domestic. If you do fly out in August, I'd appreciate your thoughts on the process!