Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

What was the cheapest airfare you've found?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24th, 2005, 08:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What was the cheapest airfare you have found?

I found 259 USD for a flight on United Airlines, non-stop and round trip from San Francisco to Paris in April 2003.

I also found for 5 EUR (without taxes), a flight from Paris Charles de Gaulle to London Stanstead, non-stop, one-way on Buzzaway, which doesn't exist anymore.

Berlin to Budapest on Easyjet can be as low as 9 EUR (without taxes).

Old Jul 28th, 2005, 08:39 AM

Tiger Airways has seats for SGD 1 ( about 75 cents US ) one way Singapore to Phuket, though with taxes etc I think it came out at about USD 25 or something.
In Australia airlines 'have to' show the fare including all taxes and fees, i.e they cannot pubish an 'amount' for travel which isn't the actual total amount payable.
Old Jul 28th, 2005, 09:18 AM

Occasionally RyanAir does offer totally free tickets (paying for mandatory taxes is still required), so till some airline actually offers to pay the passengers to fly that would be the cheapest air deal out there.

EasyJet use to offer the same deals on some routes but I'm not sure if they still do.
Old Jul 29th, 2005, 04:11 AM

In fact, Easyjet had a time last year when the headline price for a flight was negative (the idea being that they could advertise they were paying you to travel with them). Fares like -£0.11 cropped up all over the place. They didn't do this for very long.

Obviously there are usual taxes to add on. It's pointless trying to compare pre-tax prices. I often look at Ryanair and Easyjet for comparison and the one that's cheapest pre-tax is often more expensive once you've added the taxes on.
Old Jul 29th, 2005, 03:58 PM
Original Poster

Wow! Negative prices. I have never seen that. It's like Easyjet is paying you to fly, but with the taxes it still comes out to about £20.
Old Jul 31st, 2005, 09:07 AM

We got an inenspensive flight to Manchester this year and then paid 1 Pound to fly from Manchester to Edinburgh. In the sping I needed to travel AMS-Bristol-Edinburgh-AMS. BA/KLM was $1000, BM was $500, and Easyjet was $150. Only Easyjet had direct AMS-Bristol flight. We are now thinking of a Sept/Oct. trip IF we can get a good airfare to London. Then it is Easyjet or Ryanir. You need to be careful though. Do not overpack or you will be charged extra.