Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

What To Do On A 5 Hour Layover At Dallas Airport On The Way To BA?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14th, 2011, 11:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have a 5 hour layover at the Dallas Fort Worth Airport on the way to Buenos Aires.

Other suggestions than reading books (which we like to save for flights), eating at one of the restaurants (which we always do to save having to eat terrible airplane food), checking out every shop, & walking endlessly around the airport would be appreciated.

Neither of us would be comfortable leaving the airport. The thought of missing our flight makes us cringe.
Old Nov 14th, 2011, 02:11 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We used The Club at DFW while waiting for our connecting flights both going to and from Buenos Aires.Same terminal..Not too expensive.
Old Nov 14th, 2011, 02:41 PM
Original Poster

HappyTrvlr: I think using a Club is a good idea!
Old Nov 14th, 2011, 03:05 PM

Pappadeax's is a good restaurant that you could kill an hour.

Maybe ride the entire loop of the skylink.

Go to the coffee bar in the Grand Hyatt-Moka-They serve Illy products. You would have to go through securtiy, but you really don't leave the airport grounds.

Maybe a massage--something I have never done in an airport, but would give you something to do for a while.

Maybe watch some of the international flights come in.
Old Nov 14th, 2011, 04:50 PM

Go to Dickey's BBQ- they have good ribs
Old Nov 15th, 2011, 06:49 AM
Original Poster

spirobulldog: I was looking at the XpresSpa at the airport, yesterday. I think it is a very good option. I never have time at home to go to a spa.
Old Nov 29th, 2011, 06:42 AM

I have used the spa at DFW (can't recall which gate area) and had the in-chair 20-minute massage. It was well worth it and would do it again.

Also vote for using the lounge.
Old Nov 29th, 2011, 08:08 AM

Condu,

Your departure will be from Terminal D, which is the newest and most pleasant terminal at DFW. If your connecting flight does not arrive there, take the AirTrain to Terminal D. That will keep you within the secured area.

Your flight to BA will load at least 45 minutes before departure, earlier during the holiday travel rush, so that your waiting time will be only four hours by the time you get to Terminal D. (I know that's cold comfort.)

Consider getting a day pass to the Admirals Club. The Terminal D club is very comfortable and has a very sunny ambiance because of large windows facing the west side of the field. House beverages are included in the day pass and the food that can be ordered is more than adequate for a light meal before getting on board an international flight. We eat there before nearly every south or east bound flight.

You will also be able to keep track of your departure easily, and if there is any delay, boarding will be announced so that you don't have to hang around the gate. That is an exception to the no announcement policy.

There is also good computer access and showers are available if you wish. We have, for the BA and NRT flights, used those facilities to change into sweats for the long flights.
Old Nov 30th, 2011, 02:23 PM
P_M

Great ideas above, here's one more:

Walk the distance of Terminal D and see all of the mosaics on the floor. There is one near just about every gate and no two mosaics are alike.