Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

What do you do to get comfortable in coach?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14th, 2011, 03:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be taking an overnight trans-atlantic flight soon on BA. I don't travel very often, so I'm wondering what tips anyone might have to make the flight tolerable as best I can barring yelling babies and too wide seat mates. Can't strech to business class I'm afraid, but wish I could.
Old Jan 14th, 2011, 04:41 PM

Two things make long flights nicer for me - an inflatable neck pillow and a pashmina. The pashmina can be used as a blanket and also to be draped around my head to provide some privacy when you sleep.
Old Jan 14th, 2011, 05:48 PM

I am never comfortable in coach. I only endure!
Old Jan 14th, 2011, 05:59 PM

Wear comfy non-restrictive clothing, use noise cancelling headphones and take drugs. Really, take whatever relaxes you, whether it be an Ambien or Tylenol PM.
Old Jan 14th, 2011, 06:14 PM

In addition to using the neck pillow and pashmina as november_moon recommends, I take Ambien.
Old Jan 14th, 2011, 06:41 PM

What LEANNA said!

If you don't have noise-cancelling headphones, I find that good foam earplugs are a lifesaver. Even with a bunch of screaming babies around, I can put them in and tune everything out.

Also, some of it is attitude: I tend to get stressed and exhausted on long flights, but I recall talking to a colleague who traveled a LOT. He said, "What's so exhausting about it? You're just sitting in a chair for a few hours." Whenever I find myself getting too unhappy about flying, I remind myself of his words.
Old Jan 14th, 2011, 06:57 PM

Fly with a family member and lift the arm rest between seats, in a row of two. Spread out on each other. Seriously. It provides much more space and make sleeping easier. Plus trying hard to sleep.
Old Jan 14th, 2011, 07:03 PM

pain killers/Gravol and hope I sleep.
Old Jan 14th, 2011, 11:07 PM

Ativan,
Neck pillow, which I find works best if you DON'T recline your seat
A pashmina- for warmth or privacy
A music player with your favorite songs, and
Comfortable ear buds or headphones. Try them out in bed one night before you go.
Old Jan 14th, 2011, 11:07 PM

What they said -- pashmina, noise canceling headphones, drugs.

For while you are awake -- this may be a stretch but what really helped me on my last long haul was the Ipad -- loaded with a good new mystery book, travel guides, music, and videos/films.
Old Jan 15th, 2011, 05:02 AM

Noise canceling headphones....spring for the Bose QT15! You won't regret it! Neck pillow, sleep mask and lots of water to keep hydrated. Ipod with recorded books. People magazine...good for about 2 hours. And last but not least, Zanax! ZZZZZZZZ
Old Jan 15th, 2011, 06:48 AM

BA has the video on demand; at least on the 747-400 I flew on from Miami. If you can't sleep, try to get into a movie.

I have a carry-on bag inside a larger carry-on bag when I fly. When I arrive at my seat, I take the smaller carry-on bag out of the larger bag and put it under the seat in front of me. It has everything I need for the flight--reading glasses, notebook computer, pen, water bottle. The bigger bag goes in the overhead bin.

BA still gives free eyeshades, toothbrush/paste and socks. After take-off, remove your shoes and put on the socks and take a sleeping pill over dinner is served.
Old Jan 15th, 2011, 11:56 AM
P_M

BA does offer Premium Economy which I found much better than coach. If you can't do biz class this might be a good compromise.
Old Jan 15th, 2011, 12:10 PM

An eye mask, booze, and benadryl is about all I need. Not the best night's sleep, bit works well enough.
Old Jan 15th, 2011, 12:34 PM

I don't drink, I don't take drugs, and my neck is too short for those travel pillows, but I seldom complain about longhauls in coach. Besides the obvious - noise cancellation headphones, entertainment material, etc; here are a couple of things nobody has mentioned it yet, though may not apply to BA.

First is to pick your seats carefully, and check back often enough, including sometimes up to the kiosk at airport, to change to a better seat. Aisle is a must to start with for longhauls, and then EVEN on airlines I have no status, I have been able to get exit rows and bulkheads by simply checking often and early. Especially at the start of online check-in.

For example, just for the past 1.5 years, I had sat in a bulkhead row on Singapore Airlines SIN-HKG on a refurbished 777-200 with like 5 feet of legroom. Or the first of the 2-2 rows in the back of DL's 744 HKG-NRT. Or exit rows on All Nippon between LAX and NRT. No status for in those cases.

Second, if I have a fairly long connection before or after a longhaul, I'll try to get into an airline lounge. Especially if I know there's a shower there. Never cheap, but it can make the subsequent longhaul a lot more tolerable; or if after a fairly uncomfortable longhaul, at least I can get a hot shower to refresh myself.

You can see the flights I've taken at: http://my.flightmemory.com/rkkwan and http://openflights.org/user/rkkwan
Old Jan 15th, 2011, 10:33 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Aisle seat! Comfortable clothes (like cotton knits, in layers), something to put on your feet besides shoes. BA gives out earphones, eye mask, pillow, blanket, I just use those. Earplugs or noise cancelling headphones would be nice to have. I also take Valium by doctors prescription and a glass of wine now and then during the flight.
Old Jan 16th, 2011, 05:17 AM

Usually go for an exit seat for more legroom

www.seatguru.com www.seatexpert.com for best

seats on each carrier.

Take natural Melatonin for jet lag/sleep www.mayoclinic.com

Try to sleep as mucch as I can avoid alcohol pills big meals.

Has worked pretty well for me over the years still

good deals on premiere economy or business class preferred.

www.airawards.com gets me good deals on those sometimes.

Good luck!
Old Jan 16th, 2011, 11:35 AM

Thanks for all the great tips! Drugs it is then!!

Am flying from Vancouver to Nairobi with BA via London. Altho I'd prefer to skip Heathrow, connecting with friends there outweighed that airport's negatives.

Talked myself into World Traveller Plus by breaking down the added cost per segment so at an extra $250 per 9 hr flight, it seemed worth it. Hope I don't regret it.
Old Jan 16th, 2011, 11:49 AM

Heathrow Terminal 5 is probably the best connecting point in Europe. I think you will have a good trip.
Old Jan 16th, 2011, 06:44 PM

tengo hambre is right!!! A traveling pal next to you is the greatest. Unfortunately I always travel alone.

However...my best seat mate ever was a German lady who was slightly pudgy like me. We lifted up that divider and mixed our surpluses and had a fairly comfy trip!!!!! I still think of her fondly!!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -