Warning - beware of SkyEurope's empty promises

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 10:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have had a big problem with the airline SkyEurope and hope this may serve as a warning to other travellers.

My husband and I flew from Luton to Prague in early November and the following day, SkyEurope rang us to say our return flight was overbooked and if we would agree to a different flight home (two options were given, both leaving at very inconvenient times) we would be compensated by 2 free flight vouchers. They said we could fly on any of their airline routes and any time up until summer 2008. It sounded very tempting so we agreed to an early Monday morning flight, knowing we could still get to work, just later than normal.

We had to spend money on an extra night's accommodation in Prague and also had to pay for a taxi to the airport as the flight left around 6am. If we had caught our original flight, on the Sunday afternoon, we had planned to catch public transport which was a fraction of the cost. On the upside, we did have an extra day in Prague which was good.

We arrived home and were surprised to find there was no email with flight vouchers. We have followed up since, numerous times. We have had two replies. One was from the girl I originally spoke to in Prague, who made us the offer. She said the vouchers would be sent soon. The other reply was from the airline representative in the UK who said we would hear soon. We have heard nothing. We hesitate to call as both times I have spoken to an airline representative, there were language difficulties. They did not speak very good English and I, unfortunately, only speak English.

We find it annoying and disappointing that SkyEurope is, in our view, very dishonest to promise something they seem to have no intention of delivering. We will not fly SkyEurope again. I hope this helps someone else who may find themselves in the same situation.

Kay
Old Jan 4th, 2008, 08:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I am sorry that your vacation ended on a sour note.

I for one never, ever accept any offer for "vouchers" as I believe them to be junk offers.
Old Jan 5th, 2008, 09:55 AM
Original Poster

I see what you are saying but it is normal for an airline to offer compensation to travellers who they 'bump' or want to bump. We took up the request to change flights but then the airline reneged on their side of the deal.

Kay
Old Jan 5th, 2008, 11:35 AM

You fail, perhaps inadvertently, to give the date when this promise was made, but I doubt it was long enough ago to warrant defaming the airline.

I think they did better than many when they called you and advised you of the problem before you actually arrived at the airport. That certainly saved you some aggrravation, and of course probably saved them from some of the rather draconian consequences for overbooking under EU rules.

My experience is that vouchers usually are documents, rather than emails. This doesn't make sense to me as it is costlier to the airline, but that is the way the airlines I have recently dealt with handle it. There certainly could be some requirement of the airline's internal control system that requires some independent review before the voucher is issued. International mail could contribute to delay, as well as the increased business during the holiday season.

So if this promise was made in December, perhaps even mid-December, and you are in full-whine mode at the beginning of the next month, I would be reluctant to put that airline on my do not fly list due to your report.

Frankly, even if they stiff you on the vouchers, you don't have what I think most people would call a big problem. Its not as if you had to spend a fortune on extra lodging and a taxi, and had to buy another ticket home in addition.
Old Jan 8th, 2008, 06:27 AM

clevelandbrown said:
<<You fail, perhaps inadvertently, to give the date when this promise was made, but I doubt it was long enough ago to warrant defaming the airline.>>

<<So if this promise was made in December, perhaps even mid-December, and you are in full-whine mode at the beginning of the next month….>>

The OP stated that the promise was made in early November.

I agree that the vouchers most likely would be paper, but it’s possible SkyEurope indicated that they would be emailing them, since the OP seemed to be expecting them in this manner.

<< Frankly, even if they stiff you on the vouchers, you don't have what I think most people would call a big problem. Its not as if you had to spend a fortune on extra lodging and a taxi, and had to buy another ticket home in addition.>>

So, no sympathy because the OP “<b>only</b>” had to cover an extra nights stay and taxi to the airport? And are you implying that most people wouldn’t be peeved if they got zero compensation for a voluntary bump (to a very inconvenient time)? Sorry, I don’t buy that in the least.

KayF, sorry for your inconvenience. I think the airline put you in a very difficult spot. After all, I don't think things would have worked out any better if you had showed up for your flight on Sunday p.m. However, at that point you could at least demanded immediate receipt of the voucher (or preferably, cash).
Old Apr 14th, 2008, 07:55 AM
Original Poster

As a follow up to this, I'd like to report that SkyEurope did eventually come good with their promise of free flights. We received an email a few months after we had given up all hope.

So we will be flying with SkyEurope again - it seems they were just very slow to respond.

Kay