Virgin upgrade tips? Bad back?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9th, 2006, 12:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm flying Heathrow to LA on March 17th - and returning 26th March and have booked cattle-class (budgets are such a bore!). This isn't normally a problem - I'm a regular flyer - and I'm not a whinger.

Trouble is that my back is terribly bad at the moment and I can't sit in one position for more than a minute - slightly annoying for those around. So I was wondering if anyone had ANY suggestions as to the best way to get an upgrade on this airline?
Old Mar 9th, 2006, 12:51 PM

Have you called VS to see if you can buy up to PE for a fee?
Old Mar 9th, 2006, 05:39 PM

Paying is bascially your only option. Free international upgrades are practially non existent now. Airlines need and want your money.
Old Mar 9th, 2006, 10:57 PM
Original Poster

Alas the fee is rather larger than I can pay, which is very annoying! But maybe I'll call and explain the situation, they may give a discount...

Thanks.
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 02:22 AM

Worth a try - but I doubt it. I work with people with permanent disabilities and neither obvious disability or letter from MD gets them a free upgrade.
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 02:32 AM

Thank You <b>gail</b>!

This falls under the same categories as:

My wife is pregnant.

We are on a honeymoon.

We are celebrating XX anniversary.

Do you know who I am?

My child is sick.

I'm capable of throwing thou$and$/million$ worth of business your way. (I actually heard a guy trying this one. The TA asked him very politely, that if that was possible, why couldn't he spend few hundred more for a YUP fare?)

and on, and on, and on..........
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 03:11 AM

In dozens of transatlantic crossings, I've received upgrades on about a half dozen segments. It can happen when coach is oversold and a few platinums are moved forward to make space in the rear. If coach is not oversold, the seats in the front will sit empty rather than be given away. That is necessary to protect the integrity of the pricing and the product.
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 04:11 AM

Arrive at the airport early and be nice. Check in by yourself, not with someone else. Dress nicely. Pray.
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 04:25 AM

Virgin has a practice of charging extra for exit row seats. I found this out on recent flights to/from Las Vegas. I don't know what happens if they don't sell all the exit row seats and the plane is full.

You just want to hope the plane is not full. We were lucky, our flight out from LGW to LAS was nearly empty so we had three seats by the window each. I'd never seen such an empty transatlantic flight in recent times.

If you get an aisle seat at least you'll be able to get up and walk around as much as you like which may help.
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 04:30 AM

PS - how are your other travel plans for this trip coming along? I have just returned from a two-week trip to the same area and saw you were looking to go to Las Vegas, Flagstaff and cover some Route 66. I hope you have a great a time as we did!
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 04:31 AM
Original Poster

I wouldn't be so crass as to request it - or to try to pull a fast one - I just seem to read so regularly on here about people getting upgraded that I wondered if anyone had any VERY subtle tips! Or maybe you're all really lucky!
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 04:38 AM
Original Poster

Hi Where2!

My plans have changed slightly as the friend I'm visiting in LA has taken some time off work so we're going to be there a bit longer - which means less time travelling (alas!). I think we're going to just head to Vegas for a couple of nights and then drive back via Kingman, Route 66, Lake Havasu (I know it's going to be rubbish but it's en route and I'm very curious!) and then probably spend the night somewhere around Palm Springs before heading back to LA. Am so looking forward to it as I'm really in need of getting away - it's been too long since I've had a proper holiday!

Glad you had a good time! How's the weather been?
Old Mar 11th, 2006, 02:35 AM

To OP - doesn't your back bother you even more on long car trips.
Old Mar 11th, 2006, 12:31 PM
Original Poster

gail - yes it does, I have to stop the car every hour or so, which is a real pain. And on this particular trip, I'm the only driver - but the longest part of the trip is only about 4 hours long, so not too bad....
Old Mar 11th, 2006, 03:36 PM

Might be a good idea to cancel the trip if the back is that bad. Wonder how an upgraded seat would help.

Going to Palm Springs via Kingman makes it a 6.5 hour trip vs a 4 hour trip down I15 to I10. You can see some US 66 stuff in Barstow, I think.