Search

Alitlaia Airlines - Good ???

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2nd, 2011, 07:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alitlaia Airlines - Good ???

Wanted to maybe fly from L.A. to Rome on Alitalia (business class) but reviews
on other sites have not been very good. Need info re seat comfort (bed ?) and general condition of the planes. Thanks
Old Jun 2nd, 2011, 07:56 AM

Hi deedeedee,
I can't comment on business class but we flew last October JFK-Rome-Catania round trip economy and it was awful.
They left our luggage in Newark to Rome and then it sat at Catania airport for two days.
It might be better sitting in business but I should have paid more attention to the reviews I had read.
Only reason we flew was it was a package tour and the cost was half.
Christine
Old Jun 2nd, 2011, 08:56 AM

Alitalia does not have the best reputation. They get particularly poor marks for ground service and service recovery in cases of something going wrong. I also find that they don't do the best job with upkeep on their planes.

BUT they are rolling out some newer planes, with a flat bed biz seat that is getting relatively positive reviews. They also revamped their menu and the soft goods (blankets, amenity kits), and I've seen positive things about both. Currently, however, the flat bed is only available on their A330-200 aircraft. Unfortunately, the flights from LA are on the older 777. This features an older recliner.

Until Alitalia upgrades the 777, I'd probably look elsewhere for business class, unless I were getting a very good deal. My first choice out of LA would be either BA or Virgin. Possibly Swiss, too; I haven't tried their new biz seat, but it is similar to the Delta seat, which I like, and I've always liked their food and service.
Old Jun 2nd, 2011, 12:48 PM

www.airlinequality.com/Forum/alit.htm

More comments.
Old Jun 2nd, 2011, 04:15 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your replys. I agree with you travelgourmet. We get just got back from a BA flight from LA - LHR in business upstairs & it was very enjoyable. I could get a good rate on Alitalia, but I think I'll pass until they upgrade their planes.
Old Jun 2nd, 2011, 04:30 PM

We just flew Alitalia from FCO to BOS. It was a on a brand new A330 - loved the plane. Quietest ride I've ever had across the Atlantic and I didn't get as dried out. However - the flight left 3.5 hours late for no discernable reason - gate agents left much to be desired in FCO...