Using round trip for one-way travel

Jun 13th, 2001, 08:37 AM
laurie

Using round trip for one-way travel

Can you get into "trouble" by booking a round trip ticket and only using it one-way?

Jun 13th, 2001, 05:44 PM
Sherry

Hi Laurie,
I'm not sure. I'm checking into that myself. It is so inexpensive to book air to USA from Australia. I'm looking into seeing if there is a way to use on the return ticket.

I asked an airline earlier tonight about NOT using the return flight. That they can't do anything about. They can't track you down and make you return. I think my situatin is much trickier. If you hear anything, please let me know. Which ticket did you not want to use?

Jun 14th, 2001, 05:07 AM
Laura

Well, it's basically impossible for the airlines to make you pay for buying a RT ticket and using just the outbound portion then to use just the return ticket. The reason for this is when you purchase a ticket, you have one year from the date of purchase to use it, so that's why it basically impossible for them to track you down and wonder why you never used your return ticket. Now, they will know what you're up to if you use only the return ticket. When you check in, they'll know you didn't use the outbound portion of that ticket and make you pay accordingly. Confiscating the ticket and/or denying you boarding and/or making you pay the additional fee for the ticket.

Jun 14th, 2001, 05:28 AM
Johnson

Laura, your information is confusing and not quite right.

If you haven't used the first part of your ticket (outbound), your reservation will cancel automatically and you won't have a seat if you check in for the second part (inbound). You'll have to start all over again, and there could be fees and fare differentials to pay.

If you only use the first part of your ticket and don't "return," it depends on the kind of ticket you have as to what happens. Yes, you normally would have a year from your initial departure to use the ticket, although you might well have to pay both a penalty (usually $75-$100) for changing your reservation and the difference between whatever you originally paid and what the airfare is when you rebook. However, if you didn't by a discounted ticket, you can usually use the return half almost any time in the future.

And even with a discounted ticket, if you aren't too far off from the 1 -yr. mark and you get a REALLY understanding airline agent (don't use a travel agent), you _might_ be able to convince them to let you go home on the "expired" ticket. Don't count on it, though, and have a pretty good story about why you never showed up.

Finally, if at some time in the past you only used the first half of a ticket and just threw away the second half without traveling "home," you won't be "caught" the next time you try book a flight. They just can't keep records like that, and it's your business if you decided to walk back home or take a camel.

Jun 14th, 2001, 06:17 AM
Laura

Sorry if my explanation was confusing to you but it was correct. I just didn't feel the need to use more paragraphs to fully explain the usage of a rt ticket. There are too many rules. I'm assuming the flyer already knows about penalty fees and the possibilites of fare differences.

Jun 15th, 2001, 07:24 AM
laurie

Thanks for the info...and I'm sorry I wasn't more clear. We are planning on using the first half of our round trip flight (London to Paris) not the second half. We have to fly from Venice to London on our return (also the first half of a round trip ticket). It was much less expensive to book two round trip flights than two one-way flights. The flights are on different airlines.