Denied Boarding 20 minutes before flight?

Jun 13th, 2001, 12:42 PM
DL

Denied Boarding 20 minutes before flight?

Hi, Just wonder if this happens all the time. My sister & her husband tried to check in for flight to Hawaii (Continental) 20 minutes before flight time. They were told it was too late to check their baggage and were denied boarding because their luggage was too big to carry on. This sounds pretty crazy. Why couldn't they just gate check the bags or send them on the next plane? They were rerouted with major delays/layover and missed connections, etc...a big mess overall. Does this sound like a ploy for an overbooked plane to avoid compensation? I'd appreciate any input. She knows she cut check in too close but it seems like the airline could have managed to get them on if they had wanted to.

Jun 13th, 2001, 03:00 PM
anna

Actually, the FAA did become VERY strict on the regulations about flying WITH your bag recently (within the last year). So, if they couldn't get their bag on, which I admit does seem unlikely, it is a normal policy not to allow them to board. Also, I have notice that due to recent airport traffic problems, a lot of airlines are changing their domestic policies to 10 min without checked luggage, but 30 min with checked luggage. Even so, I'm sorry your sister and brother-n-law had such bad time of it. I would have expected the airline to really try to be accommodating in that situation, however.

Jun 14th, 2001, 05:19 AM
Laura

Per the rules of Continental Airlines, "your seat may be given to another passenger if you have not checked in at the appropriate departure gate at least 20 minutes before departure. They can cancel your reservation if you're not at the gate at least ten minutes before departure. If you arrive late and your reservation is cancelled, any continuing or return reservation may also be cancelled and you could be charged an additional amount to continue your trip, Continental will probably try to confirm you on an alternate flight but they are not required to do this. If you arrive late and your reservation is cancelled, their only obligation is to refund your ticket. Any and all cancellation fees will apply. If you have a non-refundable ticket-no refund will be given."

Jun 14th, 2001, 05:30 AM
Mosey

What is it with you, Laura? Do you have a badge and handcuffs as part of your job? Look up "officious" in your dictionery.

Jun 15th, 2001, 09:35 PM
Laura

What handcuffs? I'm a TA offering advice and information to help clear up some of the questions I see on the board. No need to get nasty.

Jun 15th, 2001, 10:38 PM
freewoman

Every time I have travelled to Hawaii, I have been told to check in at least one and a half to two hours before the flight. I think they treat that flight like all other overseas flights which ask for the two-hour checkin.

P.S. To Mosey: As I was reading this thread, I understood Laura's post that she was quoting Continental's written rules --- not her personal opinions. There did not seem to be any reason to jump her for clarifying what Continental puts in writing for their prospective passengers.