Using only 1 way of RT ticket

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 05:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought two round trip tickets through pricenline.com on Unted express from Des Moines to Colorado Springs, one for my daughter and I. But my daughter is already in Colorado Springs - she drove up last week. I thought it would be eaiser and cheaper to do round trip. Then I get an email from priceline sayig that if we miss any leg the airline will cancel the entire reservation, even return flight.

Has anyone done this and can I call the airline and plead my case? Will I have to buy a one way ticket? Any suggestions?

PS - yes I realize I took the risk with priceline, please no lectures, I'm willing to take my lumps, not complaining, not whining, just wondering if there is anyway around this.

Thanks

Joelle
Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 06:26 AM

No way around it.

If she was to use the outbound then there would not be any problems, but in your situation the ticket will be cancelled when she misses the outbound.

If it makes you feel any better, this has nothing to do with Priceline. It's the fare rules. It wouldn't matter if you bought this ticket directly from the airline. Same rules would apply.
Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 08:18 AM

Yes, you'll have to buy a new ticket for her. Anytime you buy a RT with the idea of using only half, make sure it is the return portion you will skip. Failing to appear for any segment of a multi-segment trip will result on the rest of the ticket being cancled; this is true of all airlines, I believe.
Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 12:23 PM

Agree with above - you are stuck.
Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 04:48 PM
Original Poster

Okay thanks. My bad. Learned my lesson. I was able to get a one way ticket for the same flight as mine for her. Was only $50 more than the RT, should have done the priceline for my RT, then bought her a matching one way ticket. It wasn't even that I was trying to save $ for some reason, I thought it would be too complicated to get the same flight. Reader beware and learn from my $450 lesson!

JOelle
Old Jun 23rd, 2005, 02:26 AM

The other thing you could have done is buy a RT ticket for her starting in Colorado and use only the return portion - but if done on Priceline you would not necessarily have flown together.

Nonrefundable does not always mean nonrefundable. Check with airline. You could for a fee change dates on ticket - usually for another flight up to a year off - so if you are making trip any other time that might work. Some airlines in some fare classes will let you get a partial credit towards other trips.

But neither of these may work since it was on Priceline - just worth a try.