US to Greece Flights?

Oct 17th, 2008, 11:36 AM
Original Poster

US to Greece Flights?

Hi... I also posted this on the Europe forum.

I am having a great deal of trouble finding direct, non stop flights from the US to Athens Greece.

Does anyone know who flies such a route? I tried ITAsoftware and found no available flights in January. I could use some help. Thanks.
Oct 17th, 2008, 02:07 PM

Olympic and Delta
Oct 18th, 2008, 01:18 AM

Delta is really your only option direct from the US, but I am not certain they operate the flight every day during winter.

Olympic, in addition to having a bad reputation, is basically bankrupt and will be shutting down early next year, to be replaced by a successor airline - I wouldn't want to bank on them.

I do have to ask where you are flying from? If you are flying from somewhere in the US with direct flights to a major European hub, then I would just look at connecting in Europe.
Oct 18th, 2008, 08:12 AM

Delta flies to Athens from JFK and ATL. However, the ATL to ATH service is only seasonal-June to the end of October.Service from JFK is usually 4-5 times a week out of JFK during the winter season but daily otherwise.
Oct 20th, 2008, 05:37 AM

We've been looking at USA - ATH flights for several months now (for Nov.) and would confirm the above comments.

For winter, DL is your only real option (from JFK). Wouldn't put Olympic on my list. As noted, not in good shape financially and government planning to sell it. There have already been large strikes/demonstrations over the issue.

There's seasonal (but not winter) service EWR - ATH on CO and the ATH flights noted above.

There are quite a few options with one-stop connections in Europe (BA, LH, AF & KL) but not knowing where you're flying from, don't know whether these work for you.
Oct 21st, 2008, 09:45 AM

It depends where you are departing from, NY might be the only one. A group of friends when last summer from multiple major cities on the east coast and the only person who could get a direct flight was from NY on Olympic.